4.0.3846 Upgrade-Parallels Tools Install Fails

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rogelah, Sep 5, 2009.

1. rogelah

rogelah Bit poster

Mac OS X 1.6 Snow Leopard
    Macbook Air
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64 bit

Upgrade of Parallels completed. Booted Parallels/Vista. Message at bottom of screen says
    Parallel Tools not installed. Began installation of Parallels Tools. At end of install(?) a security
    message appears saying unable to install device driver because unable to verify driver
    signature. I give permission to install anyway. A few seconds later same security message.
    It remains in this loop if I say OK again. If I say no. it backs off the installed items.

Any ideas?

TIA

9/9/2009 bump
    No network, unable to use coherence screen.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. rogelah

rogelah Bit poster

Bump

No internet.
    No Coherence screen.

3. edelapaz

edelapaz Junior Member

Parallels Tools Not Fully Functioning: some options

Parallels Tools is not fully functioning in my machine as well. I've recently upgraded my OS to Snow Leopard, only to find out Parallels 3 wouldn't work (my VM BTW is WinXP Pro). My quick fix was to upgrade to 4.0.3846, which went by without trouble, no error messages. I encountered the following:

1. Mouse synchronization not working between host and VM (I'm stuck with having to hit ctrl + alt to release cursor all the time)
    2. Dynamic resolution tool not working (guest OS window not resizing automatically)
    3. Coherence is not working
    4. Time synchronization not working

The other tools seem to be working fine: clip board synchronization, shared profile and applications tools, and parallels compressor. It is more of a convenience issue of seamlessly working between host and VM, but a convenience I sorely miss in old reliable Parallels 3. I've tried many times reinstalling both the Parallels Desktop and Parallels Tools alone. No working solution for me yet, but let me share the three options offered by Parallels Support:

METHOD 1: Uninstall and Re-install Parallels Tools using the VM Control Panel => Add and Remove Programs (http://kb.parallels.com/en/4841) followed by reinstall of Tools from the Virtual Machine Menu of Parallels Desktop.

METHOD 2: Uninstall Parallels Desktop using the latest dmg file (build 3846) then re-installing using the same. You won't lose your VM with this trick, but it didn't work for me still.

METHOD 3: Alternate method of re-installing Parallels Tools by connecting the VM to an ISO image (prl-tools-win.iso) in your /library/parallels/tools folder (placed there during initial install of Parallels 4) then installing tools from the VM side.

METHOD 4: Removing Parallels Tools entirely by using Windows Installer Clean Up Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) in combination with Add/Remove programs in Control Panel. This is to be followed by fresh installation from the Virtual Machine Menu.

Apparently the above workarounds have worked for some. I hope it does for you. It hasn't for me. I'm still waiting to hear from the support staff who has escalated my issue to their second level engineers. I will share it here if I do get it.

Goodluck,

Emmanuel

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. rogelah

rogelah Bit poster

Method 1: Nothing to delete in Control Panel->Programs
    Method 2: Resulted in same situation; tools not installed, no network, no mouse sync.
    Method 3: No such directory as Library/Parallels/Tools; no file of prl-tools-win.iso anywhere.

5. edelapaz

edelapaz Junior Member

rogelah,

I regret to note the above methods have not worked for you. Just a few comments. I'm using a WinXP Pro VM, and I think yours is a Vista. I haven't used Vista before, but certain settings may be different. As regards Method 3 you'll need to look at the /library folder of "Macintosh HD" under Devices, and not under the "Home" folder under Places. Nevertheless, I have serious doubts it will work.

As I mentioned before, I am awaiting for further advisory from a ticket I created in Support and will share it here if I do get it and if it does work.

Best,

Emmanuel

6. edelapaz

edelapaz Junior Member

Solution finally found, but too technical to describe

My trouble has finally been sorted out. I can now use my Coherence Mode as well as the other Tools that have not been previously working.

It had to take a Parallels Team engineer operating my macbook remotely to fix the problem. Before getting that free service (better than a paid phone support!), I had to open a support ticket and had a few futile exchange of emails with support staff.

In a nutshell it appears that the root of the problem is with the correct drivers not getting installed as it should during the Parallels Desktop install process. In my particular case, not having a video adapter was preventing coherence mode from functioning. The engineer fixed it by using "bridge to bridge device" after which the video adapter appeared. The correct drivers were then manually installed from the Parallels directory from the VM and following a simple reboot, everything was in order.

I wish I could describe the process step by step, but that may only cause more trouble for some instead of helping. The engineer wasn't sure if they've released an article on this issue, but assured me that they will in case it is confirmed that they haven't.

Kudos to Parallels Team Engineer Viktor Di!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. rogelah

rogelah Bit poster

Problem solved.

I went to submit a support request.

After filling out the requested boxes as to product, etc. I was shown a list of knowledgebase
    possibilities. One of them was about not being able to install Parallel Tools because of a
    failure to recognize driver signing.

Vista 64 looks for a signed driver and if it is not signed it reports the fact and asks to abort or
    continue. I selected continue but failed to recognize that more than one driver was being
    installed.

The KB article directed me to answer continue until all components were installed.

Thanks to edelapaz for his assistance.

Parallels Desktop 4.0.3846 and Parallels Tools are installed and appear to be working well.

8. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

parallels tools install freezes

I contacted parallels support 8 days ago (ticket # Parallels #768325) here is my problem: I upgraded my macbook pro to snow leopard; as a result parallels desktop 4 was unable to check for updates; I contacted support and they told me to uninstall DT 4 and install the latest build (3846); I did it BUT as a result I was no longer able to shutdown the virtual machine (windows XP based on my boot camp partition): the shut down process began, then I received an error message (STOP 0x7E), and then windows restarted; since windows on the boot camp partition functions normally, the problem IMHO is not with windows, but with the parrallels windows VM; so, I uninstalled Paralells DT again and reinstalled it (I even deleted the VM and created a new one) but now I am unable to install parallels tools: I open the VM, I get a message stating that PT are not installed, I try to install them, the wizard windows open, the installation process begins ... and then it freezes or stops responding, i.e. the progress bar reaches its far end and nothing else happens ; I have to shut down the VM (instead of windows from inside the VM). I have explained this to the support people but they seem unable to find a solution.

9. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

update on failure to install parallels tools

I tried the 4 methods listed by edelapaz in in sept 9 post; the first 3 methods didn't work; method 4, using windows installer clean up utility didn't quite work BUT there was some progress; here is what happened:

windows installer clean up noticed that the parallels tools installation had been suspended (during my previous attempts to install PTs); so it rolled it back; after doing this, there was nothing to clean up, since PTs had not been installed; so, I tried installing them once again and this time I got a new (!) error message, namely that installation had to be stopped when the installer tried to installed parallels video adapter; reason: "the class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device"; this video adapter story sounds quite similar to edelapaz's story mentioned in his sept. 10 post; so, if this is indeed the case, I now would need a Parallels Team engineer operating my macbook remotely to fix the problem...

is anybody out there at parallels listening ???

10. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

thanks for the suggestion ... but I had indeed already opened a support ticket and, after my last message, a parallels engineer got in touch with me by mail and said he would call and then basically proceed as they did with you via phone; but he hasn't called back yet...

11. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow the steps below to resolve the issue:

1. Boot Windows in Safe Mode by hitting F8 (Fn+F8) during its boot screen.

Go to "My Computer" - "C" Drive - "Program Files" - "Parallels" folder and delete the "Parallels Tools" folder.

2. Click the Windows "Start" menu -> "Run" and type "regedit". Hit OK.

3. In Registry Editor, go to "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Parallels" and delete the "Parallels Tools" entry.

4. Reboot Windows

5. Now you can re-install Parallels Tools from the Parallels Desktop menubar when Windows is running .

12. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

I followed your instructions and after starting in safe mode, deleting PT as explained by you, rebooting and reinstalling PT, exactly the same thing happened, i.e. the installation wizards starts the installation process and then freezes and nothing else happens;

I thought Edwin Shylwaster was supposed to call me but instead I got your message with a procedure that doesn't work.

13. ClausH

ClausH Bit poster

The last instructions from Anupama do not work for me. I get the rollback action when I try to install the tools afterwards. Any ideas? This is not good.

14. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Since ClausH also tried the solution suggested by Anupama, I seem to understand that I'm not the only one having this problem...

in the meantime, I opened windows XP directly via BootCamp to install a patch for SPSS PASW 13 Modeler (a very expensive software program) and the SPSS installation wizard warned me that "an installation of parallels tools is presently suspended; do you want to roll back that action in order for the SPSS installation to continue?", I said yes and everything then was fine with the SPSS patch installation ... BUT, not being a computer engineer, I'm increasingly worried that all those things that the parallels people asks me to do will end up corrupting my windows bootcamp partition...

I am really wondering what's going on! I still have no news from the support ticket engineer who was supposed to call me to fix everything...

15. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow the steps below in regards to the issue:
    1) Please unzip the attachment to some place and start virtual machine.

2) Right-click to the CD-ROM Icon on parallels VM window and choose "connect image". Select the unzipped prl_fs_drv.iso file. As well the image may be connected through VM configuration

3) After Windows is booted, log on to it as Adminitstrator or some other user with Admin-rights, open the CD-Rom content (usually drive D:\ ; My Computer -> D:) and select install.bat. After that you should see several messages and invitation to reboot.

4) Please reboot the VM and try to install Parallels Tools. This time it should work.

5) install.bat should log all actions to the c:\temp\setup.log.

Attached Files:

16. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

OK, this time it worked: I have now successfully installed parallels tools

17. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

well ... parallels tools in now installed and works ... except that I get the following error message when I start-up the VM:

Unable to connect CD/DVD-ROM 1.

A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD-ROM 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected.

18. RichardY

RichardY Bit poster

i updated to 4, reinstalled my bootcamp partition, and created a whole new bootcamp vm.... i cannot install paralells tools.

i download this zipped file but i cannot select it when i click on the cd icon and choose select image.

i am very frustrated with the amount of time it takes to 'upgrade' this expensive software.

r.

19. Robin Curtis

Robin Curtis Member

Parallels 4, Snow Leopard, Windows 7 (experimental)

I had a problem, possibly caused by installing Sonic Wall VPN drivers - which resulted in loss of Parallels ethernet connection. Tried a Parallels reinstall and multiple Parallel Tools installs. The latter seemed to have no effect - the installer claimed to have worked successfully but none of the features that Parallel Tools installs were installed. Tried this repeatedly to no effect. I have finally ended up manually adding each of the drivers from Parallel Tools - which seems to work. Just trying to figure out how many Parallels drivers I need to install. I have successfully reinstalled the Parallels Ethernet Driver, and the Mouse Synchronisation driver.

20. Feneric

Feneric Bit poster

I am having trouble installing Parallels Tools on Vista under Parallels on Snow Leopard. I've downloaded and tried the fix above but still get the following error message when trying to install:

Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of
    assembly component
    {98CB24AD-52FB-D85F-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}.
    HRESULT: 0x80070057.

It then rolls back the installation, reboots, and attempts to install again. Not fun.