Converting from Bootcamp to Parallels VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by lloydi, Nov 9, 2009.

1. lloydi

lloydi Junior Member

I've just upgraded to Parallels 5 and now that all the GUI is supported, along with other changes, there is no real reason for me to keep the Bootcamp partition, particularly as I cannot suspend a Bootcamp partition.

Is there a way of me converting the Bootcamp partition to a full VM and then deleting that Bootcamp partition afterwards? Safely?

Thanks

2. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers

Migration of Boot Camp partition using Parallels Transporter

With Parallels Transporter, you can migrate your Boot Camp partition to a bootable Parallels virtual machine or Parallels virtual hard disk for using in Parallels Desktop for Mac on your Mac. There are three methods you can use when migrating from a Boot Camp partition:

-migrating within the Boot Camp partition (migration on External Storage), or
    -migrating via the Boot Camp virtual machine, or
    -migrating from the Boot Camp partition of a remote Mac (standard remote migration).

Below, you can find short description of 2 methods:

Migrating Within the Boot Camp Partition (migration on External Storage)
    - run your Windows on Boot Camp
    - attach your External storage (removable USB disk device)
    - install Parallels Transporter Agent (PTA) on your Windows, it will require restart, after that PTA will automatically run
    - Choose Migration on External Storage
    - Follow the Wizard Instructions
    - as result of success migration you can find your resulting Parallels Windows VM on External Storage
    - to copy and registry this VM on your Mac partition you can use Parallels Transporter (installed on your Mac with Parallels Desktop package). For it: run Parallels Transporter and finalize your VM preparing by choosing "External storage device" as the way of transferring the data to your Mac.

Migrating Via the Boot Camp Virtual Machine (Migration via the Boot Camp virtual machine is almost the same as standard remote migration)
    - Run your Boot Camp VM
    - install Parallels Transporter Agent (PTA) inside your VM, it will require restart, after that PTA will automatically run
    - Run Parallels Transporter on your Mac
    - Choose "Network" as the way of transferring the data inside of your Boot Camp VM to your Mac
    - Enter IP address of your VM (you can find it on Parallels Transporter Agent start window)
    - Start migration by following the Wizard Instructions

Note: To ensure successful migration, check if your host and source computer meet the system requirements (please, see Parallels Transporter User's Guide).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  3. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

Helen, by chance do you have a link for the v4.0.3848 Transporter Agent? The link on the main download page is for v5 now.