Parallels Tools Update Can't Find File

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jon.G, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jon.G

Jon.G Bit poster

Parallels recently updated itself, and I can no-longer get parallels Tools to install.

When I hit install parallels Tools, it unpacks the installation, and proceeds to try to install,
    however while the status says "Removing Applications" it pops up a box stating that
    "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"
    asking for 'setup-parallels-tools.msi'

the suggested source is C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ , and browsing, the file does exist.

Selecting it, I get a message:
    " The file 'C:\WINDOWS\Temp\setup-parallels-tools.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product Parallels Tools. Try to find the installation package 'setup-parallels-tools.msi' in a folder from which you can install Parallels Tools."

When I hit Cancel, the install fails (with the message "Error 1714. The older version of Parallels Tools cannot be removed Contact your technical support group"), and after I hit OK, it brings up a message that parallels tools installation failed, and reboots the virtual machine.

The same thing occurs if I try and trigger the install by mounting the .iso file from \Library\...\prl-tools-win.iso and running setup.msi from it.
    I can't uninstall parallels tools. the message is "Parallels Tools require that your Windows is running under Virtual Machine. The installation will be stopped." (I am running it within the virtual machine)

any suggestions or help on what I can do to resolve this?

2. GarettE

GarettE Bit poster

A working solution

Hello there,

I had the EXACT same problem and after searching everywhere had given up hope that someone at Parallels was going to help and provide a working solution.

I knew the problem was that the old Parallels Tools could not be removed before the new version was installed. Even if you go to Add/Remove programs you can't manually uninstall it. Due to a completely separate issue with a completely different company I came across this utility from Microsoft that will remove a program from your system (if it was install via MS's protocols) when you can't do it via Add/Remove programs. Perfect!

It is the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Download, install and run this. Choose your Parallels Tools installation and remove it.

Now reboot your machine and allow the new version of Parallels Tools to install and you won't have this error anymore.

NOTE: I had to let Parallels Tools install and reboot THREE times before it finally was successful; but successful it was and it even brought back my Aero which had been completely disabled as well as fixed my timezone problem (it would never remember what it was).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    G