Windows 7 install won't: The unattended answer file contains an invalid product key.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Brian Ehni, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Brian Ehni

Brian Ehni Bit poster

I have an older MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo 2.16, 4GB RAM, OS 10.6.2, and Parallels 4.0.3846. The FAQ says I need build 3848 for Windows 7, yet when I check for updates, Parallels says I have the latest version of 4.0; how can this be, if I have 3846 and there is a 3848 build??? I am trying to install Windows 7 Pro from our corporate, licensed copy, and have tried both the KMS and MAK versions of the serial number. I keep getting the following error message: "The unattended answer file contains an invalid product key. Either remove the invalid key or provide a valid product key in the unattended answer file to proceed with Windows installation."

I downloaded the trial version of Parallels 5 and have gotten the same error, so it's not just the version 4.

This install DVD has worked (and continues to work) just fine using the same serials for installing on PC computers.

2. I-che

I-che Pro

3. Brian Ehni

Brian Ehni Bit poster

Thanks; that seems to have been the fix. Seems odd that, by default, the floppy drive is active, when no Mac has shipped in over 10 years with a floppy!

4. CarringtonF

CarringtonF Bit poster

Where to find Virtual Machine menu?

I've got a bum installation of XP I'm trying to disinfect and upgrade to Win 7. The instructions in the link say:

---BEGIN PASTE---
    1. Open the configuration of your virtual machine by choosing Virtual Machine > Configure from the menu. If you are working in Crystal or Full Screen, you need to switch to another view mode to be able to access the menu.

2. Click the Hardware tab and select Floppy Disk.

3. Disconnect the floppy disk by clearing the Connected option, and click OK to save your settings.

Once the floppy disk is disconnected, start the upgrade again.

---END PASTE---

This is all well and good, but how do I get to Virtual Machine > Configure? I see it NO WHERE.

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Open the virtual machine window in Window mode. You can do that by doing Window -> Virtual Machine List then clicking on the virtual machine (but not the virtual machine power on button).

Then go to the menu bar and select Virtual Machine -> Configure or you could right click the virtual machine in the Virtual Machine List and select Configure.

6. DanielHazard

DanielHazard Bit poster

The solution won't work

I am trying to install a new virtual machine of Windows 7 on Parallels 7, so no virtual machine exists at this point so I CANNOT get to Virtual Machine > Configure at any time. So how do I get past this error?? (Mac os 10.6.8)

Can I create an empty virtual machine and then bring Windows 7 in? How?

And WHY would this error still be occurring after Parallels has known about it for five years???? Pretty simple, make the default floppy NOT CONNECTED by default!!!

Please help

7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

You can't get this error without a virtual machine.

Try the following:
    Parallels Desktop -> New -> Install Windows from DVD or image file -> select installation source -> enter product key -> select integration type (start with Like a Mac) -> enter name and location and select "Customize settings before installation"

Now, with the "Customize settings before installation" option, you can make changes to the hardware before the Windows installer starts.

Note: If you deselect "Express installation" where you enter the product key, then the Unattended.fdd floppy disk image is not connected to the virtual machine. The floppy is used only if you want Parallels to enter the product key for you automatically.

So, you either need to enter the correct product key, or disable "Express installation".

8. DanielHazard

DanielHazard Bit poster

Thanks Joe

Thanks,

The first suggestion actually did not work - even though i did customize the settings and disable the floppy.

The second worked fine, just disable "express installation"

9. BlairN

BlairN Bit poster

invalid product key

I kept trying the express installation with floppy disk disabled and continued to get the error message. I finally disabled express installation and did a custom installation with floppy disk disabled. Windows went through the entire installation process and asked for me to enter the product key. I entered the product key and still got the message "not a valid product key." I clicked "Next" and Windows 7 is installed and running. Not sure what this means, for all I know MS will think I have a bootleg version. I purchased and downloaded the Parallels and Windows updates from the Parallels website. Beginning to wish I had saved my money and kept XP. I only need Windows for one program at work.

10. Monteverdi

Monteverdi Bit poster

I disconnected the floppy drive, and continued to get the error. Every time I went through the process again, the floppy drive would be reselected. So, I highlighted the Floppy Disk, clicked on the "-" button and deleted it completely, then I clicked the Lock icon to prevent changes without my authorization, and that finally worked.

11. MikkiP

MikkiP Bit poster

You can get the error without the VM! I get this error while trying to install Windows 7. It's NOT installed yet, so there is no Virtual Machine menu option. It gets caught in an install loop.

12. NelsonC

NelsonC Bit poster

Hi,

Hope I'm not too late. The issue seems to be a problem with your Windows unattended install file.

For those who are using the Windows System Image Manager to create unattended install file (autounattend.xml) in Vista and Win 7 in which you want to automate the product key phase, take note:

EDIT: This applies if you have the volume licensed Windows 7 CD (if your company purchases many licenses). If you have Windows 7 Business, the ProductKey needs to be placed in another node other than described in this tutorial. I'll get back on what that node is in a later post...

Back to the tutorial, Do not use this item to automate the product key:

Microsoft-Windows-Setup >> User Data >> ProductKey ---> "ProductKey" field

Instead, add this item to the "4 Specialize" phase:

Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup ---> "ProductKey" field

It should work without issues and the Win 7 setup will not complain that you inputted an invalid product key.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  13. JudahF

JudahF Bit poster

I got this message even when the floppy is disabled

The floppy drive on the VM was already disabled by default, and I still get this error. I do not have access to a Windows machine to edit the disk image.

14. EdenT

EdenT Bit poster

FYI, this worked removing the unattended CD/DVD in Parallels 19.

15. EdenT

EdenT Bit poster

Scrap that, it failed! I managed to get it to work, without selecting install operating system later and then configure settings!