Parallels Internet Security Installation Casues Internet Adapter to no longer work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jcdavis, Mar 1, 2010.

1. jcdavis

jcdavis Bit poster

Parallels Internet Security Installation Causes Internet Adapter to no longer work

I just upgraded my Windows XP Guest OS to Windows 7. Upon reinstalling Parallels Tools and Internet Security, I noticed that my internet adapter immediately had an exclamation point on it. (This is under the recommended Shared Network setting)

Walking backwards I uninstalled the internet security the adapter was back to full functionality. Any ideas how to fix this issue?

My Home OS: OSX Version: 10.6.2
    Guest OS: Windows 7 64-Bit
    Parallels Build: 5.0.9310

Let me know if further information is needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

hi, I'm having the same issue

does anyone know how to fix that?

3. jcdavis

jcdavis Bit poster

Through email support, I received the following reply from Parallels Tech Support:

Thank you for your response.

With regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that 'Parallels Internet Security powered by Kaspersky' that is provided with 'Parallels Desktop 5' is not completely compatible with 'Windows 7'.

Due to this compatibility issue, some times even though the anti virus is not running and not scanning, the firewall settings might restrict the internet connection in 'Shared Networking'.

Since you want to work in 'Shared Networking', the options left are either upgrade install 'Kaspersky Internet Security' to 2010 ( build 9.0) or install 'Security Essentials from Microsoft'.

Since you have to pay for the upgrade of 'Kaspersky' to version '2010', it would be suggested to install 'Security Essentials from Microsoft' which is specifically meant for 'Windows 7' from the below mentioned link:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

4. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

well, it looks like I won't use the internet security option that comes with parallels 5...

anyway, thanks man!

5. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I could connect to the Internet, but I kept getting the network connectivity error message. I also kept getting the error that no firewall was running, even though Internet Security by Kaspersky was running and the firewall was active.

I went to the Kaspersky site and version 8 with Windows 7 and that seems to be the version we get with Parallels. I enquired about an update to version 9 (2010 edition) of KIS and got a reply about not having a record that I bought the software from their store.

then installed KIS 2010. No issues but it seemed that running through I searched PC antivirus programs, problems, KIS problems and finally PC antivirus comparisons. Symantec antivirus actually uses less memory, caught more malware and used less CPU than KIS 2010.

I uninstalled KIS 2010 and installed the client version of Symantec antivirus. (I think because I have Symantec set to do a scan at boot) but once running it is much faster, I have more available RAM (not even using the swap file). Under Parallels using Parallels Internet Security prl_vm_app used to be 18-24% just sitting there. At present there and my internal fan does not rev up constantly.

So far no errors such as connectivity to the Internet or having no active firewall. Symantec did not disable the Windows 7 firewall, but there seemed to be no problems with both being active. Using he Windows 7 Action Center/Security told me I had 2 active firewalls (Symantec and Windows) and generally it is better to only have 1, so I disabled the Windows firewall.