AVAST Antivirus going bonkers after Parallels 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ed-Hawco, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

Hello. I'm running Mavericks on a 2014 Macbook Air. I got a flag today saying there is a free upgrade in Parallels (I was running 10.something, and this was to upgrade to 10.1.1.) I clicked "Download and Install."

It downloaded and installed correctly, so I booted Windows 7. When Parallels Tools was installing, my Avast antivirus (on Windows) started dinging, indicating it had found something. It stalled the Parallels Tools installation, but after a minute it picked up again. Avast was still dinging. The message said it had isolated a bunch of .tmp files because of a suspected Win64:Evo-gen threat. By the time it had finished it had dumped 51 tmp files into the Avast Virus Chest. (RCX10BF.tmp, RCX119B.tmp, RCX1295.tmp, etc.)

However, Windows and Parallels seem to work OK.

As a test, I shut down and restarted Windows and Parallels. The same thing happened as Windows was loading; Avast dinged like crazy and isolated 51 temp files, but still seems to work correctly.

What's going on here, and how do I stop it? The Avast report seems to point to this process:
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

If I tell Avast to stop scanning that process, am I opening myself up to some other risk? Also, I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 7, so why are these "32" files even an issue?

Anyone else here having this problem?

Help!

2. SebastianADyhr

SebastianADyhr Bit poster

I'm experiencing precisely the same.

Then I guess it's a false positive.

3. Johannes Pesch

Johannes Pesch Bit poster

Same problem here.

4. Pankaj Singh

Pankaj Singh Bit poster

Getting same problem after upgrading.