Help! Transporter Fails on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by Jason68, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Jason68

Jason68 Bit poster

Any thoughts appreciated..

3 times not Transporter has failed after migrating about 20GB of HD file on two different NTFS volumes - unfortunately it fails by blanking my screen and flickering so I can't see if there is an error - though I can still ctrl-alt-delete and get an interface, so the PC is alive, but the flickering screen returns if I do anything.. Oddly the screen resolution has also changed at this point. So the only way to recover the PC is to re-boot. The first time through I left it over night (12 hours) to make sure that it had time to finish, but no success, still 20GB HD out of 135GB.

Everything is installed with latest versions from Parallels, W7 is on the latest patches, etc.

The source is a W7 notebook (8GB RAM, 350GB freeHD) to either a USB2 HD with 750GB free or another similar device (that holds my other VMs) with 350GB free. The migration requires 130GB according to Parallels.

I've made sure that I run the Transporter apps as Administrator, and I've deactivated firewalls and virus, but not every other service running - though I can do this is required.

I'm planning on migrating a number of W7 notebooks to VMs on Macs, so maybe the Mac version is better, but I can't invest in the Mac software until I know it works, and right now it doesn't, and I don't see any troubleshooting info anywhere to help me, or general advice on preparing a PC for migration.

Hopefully someone can tell me that this really should work, or that it just won't and I'll hop over to VMWare and try their version on trial...

Thanks,

Jason.

Parallels Migration Log:
    <MigrationReport dyn_lists="">
    <OperationInfo dyn_lists="">
    <Type></Type>
    <Start>2012-11-12 10:09:57</Start>
    <End>2012-11-12 10:10:26</End>
    <Result>145858562</Result>
    <VmUuid></VmUuid>
    <VmName></VmName>
    <DiskName></DiskName>
    <Details>save on error</Details>
    </OperationInfo>
    <MigrationSettings dyn_lists="">
    <Method></Method>
    <AutologonChoise></AutologonChoise>
    <IntegrationChoise></IntegrationChoise>
    <Mode></Mode>
    </MigrationSettings>
    <MigrationSource dyn_lists="">
    <Os></Os>
    <AutologonState>0</AutologonState>
    <UsersCount>0</UsersCount>
    <AdminsCount>0</AdminsCount>
    <EmptyPassCount>0</EmptyPassCount>
    <NeedInstallCd>0</NeedInstallCd>
    <PowerCablePlugged>0</PowerCablePlugged>
    <FirewallEnabled>0</FirewallEnabled>
    </MigrationSource>
    <SourceHardwareInfo dyn_lists="">
    <HddCount>0</HddCount>
    <DvdCount>0</DvdCount>
    </SourceHardwareInfo>
    </MigrationReport>

2. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi

Could you send a problem reports?
    1) On mac (if you perform network migration) use Parallels Desktop menu: Help -> Report a problem (when you will get a problem)
    2) On windows side use Parallels Transporter Agent system menu - left mouse click on application icon (see attached image) and choose Report a problem. If you are unable to send report while screen is blinking do it after notebook reboot.

Attached Files:

3. Jason68

Jason68 Bit poster

On my version there are no options, or menu bar at all, and hence no way of doing what you've asked.

It's the latest Transporter version downloaded from the download site..

J

4. Stuw

Sorry for delay.

You can try on windows side to run Parallels Transporter Agent with special options "--crashreporter no-dump".
    For example:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Transporter Agent>ParallelsTransporterAgent.exe --crashreporter no-dump

On Mac side use menu: Help -> Report a problem

5. Jason68

Jason68 Bit poster

The Mac Report a Help has been submitted. ref 19917165

The Mac migration has increased from 2 1/2 hours to 12 hours 59 with a small amount of progress - the trouble is that I don't have 12 hours to leave it! Even if it finishes, which past experience says it won't.

I'll try the Windows debug next time..

Thanks,

J

6. Jason68

Jason68 Bit poster

Windows error report in as ref 19918023

7. Stuw

Hi Jason

I have few recomendations:
    - stop parallels dispatcher service on windows side (or uinstall virtualization software from your notebook)
    - update Parallels Transporter Agent to version 8 (you still use version 7)
    - also I found in logs that data is transferred slowly from windows to mac. Could you check your connection and try to put data from your notebook to mac to verify network connection ?