This is the beginning of the end. With VMWare so far ahead of Parallels in the Linux world and PC world, the Mac was their only refuge (my speculation). Now VMWare has entered the Mac market too. Parallels doesn't understand that they could have a "cult" following if they could do a better job of taking care of their customers. Microsoft is giving VPC away for free, but doesn't support Linux, VMWare is expensive. If Parallels would take care of their PC customers, the positive news would spread and their market share would grow. Instead they focus on compressor server. As they neglect their PC customers, they become frustrated and compelled to spend the extra money to buy VMWare. PC customers who don't need great Unix support will use the free VPC.
I own 2 copies of Parallels for PC and 1 copy of Paralles for Mac. The Mac copy works great, but both PC copies (one windows, one linux) can't serve their intended purpose due to limitations that the company doesn't seem to be in a hurry to overcome.
Paralles can't handle more than 3GB of RAM. Considering the intended use of the application, this is a HUGE problem. In windows, the networking is simply screwed up. Both problems have been addressed in the Mac version.
Considering the amount of time I have spent trying to work through these issues, VMWare is getting cheaper by the day. I liked Parallels until I learned of it's limitations and lack of support.