Jedi Knight Dark Forces II Bugs With Steam On Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mastah-C, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Mastah-C

Mastah-C Bit poster

1. When not in game (i.e., viewing game menus, etc...) the screen size for Star Wars Dark Forces II is very small (about 1/4 the size of the screen - picture 1). When I start playing the game, it grows to normal size.

2. However, when I start playing the game, the graphics are all messed up. The color scheme is attached (picture 2). After a bit, it goes away, but some of the graphics continue to glitch (notice the enemy's body has white spots on it. Also, the indicators on the bottom right and left of the screen are off. Finally, if you look at the bottom of the screen, you can see it looks like there is another instance of the game running - picture 3).

3. Lastly, the movement of the hands in game are glitchy as well. When I move my character, he swings his arms back and forward extremely fast. Also, when I punch, it doesn't move the arms but still throws the punch. I would screen shot this, but as it is more movement type errors, I cannot.

NOTE: I am running Parallels on my MacBook Pro (i7, 8gb ram, 2.9GHz processor). Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 10.16.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 10.16.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 10.16.00 AM.png

2. Mastah-C

Mastah-C Bit poster

Anyone? I tried another non-steam copy and it was still the same (even worse!). I think it might have to do with Parallel's video card options... Please advise.

3. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Hi,
    The same (almost) situation is discussed here: http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/78112-jedi-knight-dark-forces-2-win7x64.html
    Looks like the game is old and does not run well on Win7 platform. It used DirectX 5 which is really old as well.
    As the issue is reproducible on the real PC, and work fine on WinXP, you may want to install WinXP VM and try the game from there.
    Also you may try to disable 3d acceleration in Video config of the Virtual machine