Macbook Air Kernel Crash (build 5584) under 10.5.1/10.5.2

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by daver42, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericr6380

ericr6380 Bit poster

i made the memory change in parallels preferences and shut off shared programs in the virtual machine setup.

2. cpadave

cpadave Bit poster

OK, so I lied... I was using my MBA out of the office yesterday, so no external monitor and I didn't use my tax program. This morning everything worked great for a while, but then I did get a kernal panic, so I'm not fixed. I guess it is still up to Parallels!

3. beta_b.c.delaney

beta_b.c.delaney Bit poster

MBA - continuous kernel panics

new MBA
    OS 10.5.2
    Latest build Parallels 3.0
    Using 23 inch ACD

running hot - fan going continuously with parallels
    this 4 times

Any news???:

Wed Mar 12 18:48:48 2008
    panic(cpu 1 caller 0x00BDBF6F): unknown VM exit basic reason: 3 (0x0_00bb2762, 0x355d7fb0).
    Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
    0x355d7f04 : 0x12b0e1 (0x457024 0x355d7f38 0x13321a 0x0)
    0x355d7f54 : 0xbdbf6f (0xbdfffc 0x3 0x0 0xbb2762)
    0x355d7fa4 : 0xbd855e (0x355d7fb0 0x4 0x0 0x3cf3050)
    0x355d7fb0 : 0x0 (0x3cf3050 0x0 0x2e508fa4 0x0)
    Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x4
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.parallels.kext.vmmain(3.0)@0xbd4000->0xbe3fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
    9C31

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386
    System model name: MacBookAir1,1 (Mac-F42C8CC8)

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Hello All,

Just a short update. We managed to debug and understood reason of KP in Parallels kext and now investigating the best way to fix it. I will update you in this thread once we have a fix. Thank you for your feedback!

5. aak4

aak4 Bit poster

That's great! Keep us posted.

6. dwebb66

dwebb66 Bit poster

Great news, looking forward to the patch/fix. Please let us know if you need any beta testers for it.

David

7. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

Hallo!

Status update. We have fixed the bug and made a build with the fix. This build is currently being tested by QA team. It will be released in a few days. Thank you all for information concerning this bug!

8. geordisjd

geordisjd Member

Thank you! Hurry up.

After about 2 weeks without problems, i started experiencing Kernel panics every few minutes. The only good thing about it is that MBA restarts in 22 seconds.

Can you let us know WHAT was causing the problem?

I tried to import my Parallels' VM in Fusion, but it wouldn't even start.

9. Relan

Good news: build with the fix passed QA testing. We will make it available today as hotfix update. So contact our support to get this build. Download link will also be provided here. Please comment whether this update works for you or not.

10. Relan

There was incompatibility between our hypervisor and Apple's power management driver. MacBook Air has quite strong power saving algorithms that led to kernel panic.

11. jimmie geddes

jimmie geddes Bit poster

I'm glad there's a fix. I've been running Parallels on my MBA for a few weeks w/ no problems. All of a sudden last week I was getting the Kernel Crash, and seeing the same thing in the logs as others have posted here. Can't wait to download the patch. Will the patch be posted here today? Keep up the great work!

12. Relan

Yes, it will.

13. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  14. Thomasj

Thomasj Member

Nice to see so many ppl at parallels involved ;) Thnx for the fix will be testing it tonight.

15. Relan

We were working hard. :)

Please let us know the result of your testing.

16. BlattMan

BlattMan Bit poster

Fix for Parallel Users on Other Macs

Is there a fix coming for build 5584 for those of us who are unable to launch Parallels on MacBook Pros running OS 10.5.2?

Thanks!

17. Thomasj

Thomasj Member

well first test results: kinda baffled by the nagscreen telling me to use 412mb RAM max, I have 2gb in there I want to use 1/4th (512MB) and can't now.

It did get me passed the windows installer which is good, to land me inside of windows with a million and one parallels errors, installed parallels tools after that, and the reboot got me into checkdisk repairing a million and one things again. Now safely in windows I'm just gonna let it stay on for a while before attempting anything else to see if it remains ok.

tech stats: MBA, 10.5.1 (don't want the airport screwup macupdate), 5592, winxp, 406 Memory RAM.

will keep you posted.

18. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Bit poster

test 5592

Hi,
    Sorry for my english.

I have this kernel panic every night 3 times with my 5582, today i will install the 5592 in my mba, and i will post the results. So easy to test in my mba.

19. joaquinsfy

joaquinsfy Bit poster

Yes, Sorry, every night when i'm in bed i use Parallels to start an XP sp2, in windows i have an application writtein in Visual Basic, that uses ActiveX to watch my security cameras, Using Coherence the 1/3 left screen portion is used by this application, and in rest i watch Videos using Quicktime or VLC.
    In a film 1:30 min. i have at least 2-3 Kernel Panics, i will test it tonight.

20. aak4

aak4 Bit poster

Thanks for getting us a working version so quickly!

I've been using Parallels for the last few hours on my MacBook Air with no kernel panics. With the old build, I got panics within 20 minutes. So far so good . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.