No new printer driver availble

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mike_Kuntz, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Mike_Kuntz

Mike_Kuntz Bit poster

So the problem is a Ricoh Aficio SP C240SF. Ricoh has yet to release any printer drivers for Yosemite (OSX 10.10) and at this point it questionable if they are going to. I have a new iMac running Yosemite, Parrallels 10 and Windows7. Everything worked fine on Mavericks. I've tried every combination of installs and work arounds that I could find in forums all over the Internet, nothing worked. So I installed the windows drivers in Windows 7 and can printer fine from there. The problem is I can't printer from the Mac, such as with preview, Office for Mac, etc... I can print to PDF and then open with Adobe from from Windows 7 and print that way, but it's a lot of extra steps. I'd like to be able to print the way that I used to. Is there a way to share the Windows installed printer with the Mac, using the working Windows installed drivers, the way I used to share the Mac printer with Windows?

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi Mike,
    Please follow the steps provided in this link: http://kb.parallels.com/111997 to share a printer between a Windows virtual machine and Mac OS X .
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

3. Mike_Kuntz

Mike_Kuntz Bit poster

Marvin thanks for the quick response. This however is not my problem. I'll try to better explain.
    As I previously stated, everything worked fine while running Mavericks, it wasn't until updating to Yosemite that the problems started. Ricoh has driver support for all operating systems including windows up and through 8.1 and OS X 10.9, they as well as Apple do not have anything that will work with my model printer on OS X 10.10. If I try to print anything with the Mavericks drivers installed I will receive a print error. Something in Apples new operating system has changed, which has been verified on other web sites. So I have a $500 printer that does not work on a Mac, it does work on windows based systems as well as older Apple OS's. I could take my iMac back to the previous OS, but I don't want to, I like how it works and integrates with all my other OS X and iOS devices.
    So what I'm left with at this point is a machine that only can print from windows. I have Parallels installed on my systems so that I can run a couple work related programs that will not function on anything but a Windows PC, which is now what the Ricoh SP C240SF is. It's a program that only works on the windows pc side of my system. What I want to do, or would like to do, is be able somehow print from preview, office for Mac, Safari etc.. by simply hitting the print icon. (Which no longer works because I don't have a Mac based printer installed, "it only will function on Windows 7") I there a way to set up, that when I click print on the Mac side, it will start the windows printer.
    I hope that I'm explaining this well enough that someone can come up with an answer. If you google "Ricoh Yosemite" a lot of others are experiencing the same issue. I have already tried those solutions with no success. The only way that I've been able to print so far is how I started above, by saving and opening with Adobe on Windows. THANKS

4. Mike_Kuntz

Mike_Kuntz Bit poster

So far no luck here or anywhere else. I see a few people are check out the post, i know its a wide spread problem. Here's the latest from a different forum...

The Ricoh SP C240 is a GDI host based printer. It will not work with any PCL or PostScript (Generic or other). You will have to wait and hope that Ricoh updates its drivers for this printer. If you have another computer that you can use as a print server, you can set up a RAW queue and let the other computer handle the print job.

5. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello Mike,
    Please generate a Problem Report ID as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the Problem Report ID number, we'll check it for you.

6. Mike_Kuntz

Mike_Kuntz Bit poster

So let make sure I understand this correctly. You would like me to install the print drivers for a different operating system, that I know do not, and will not work and that printer manufacture have verified will not work, and then generate a report so that you can see that I can't printer by using the WRONG print driver!

7. Mike_Kuntz

Mike_Kuntz Bit poster

Just to let everyone that was following this post know, Ricoh has finally released a new driver for the Ricoh printer for Yosemite

8. DonaldM2

DonaldM2 Bit poster

Mike - I am not an experienced Parallels user, am i correct that if I install the windows driver for a usb printer that i can print from the windows VM even if i cant print from the Mac (ie yosemite driver issue similar to yours). I am willing to open up parallels to pront fro there if i need to but was wondering if i have to do anything special in parallels to achieve this???

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.1 (32408). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.