PD 10 Upgrade won't take legitimate PD8 Activation Key when prompted

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Rod_Martin, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Rod_Martin

Rod_Martin Bit poster

I trialled PD10 and purchased upgrade activation key. I was prompted to also enter previous PD Activation Key (i have legitimate PD8 purchased in July 2013) and when I enter the PD8 Key, the whole installation stops. I have tried contacting Parallels with no luck and the whole situation is driving me nuts. Grateful for any support or advice.

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

3. Rod_Martin

Rod_Martin Bit poster

Hi Abdul
    Thanks for sending through eh instructions, which I have followed. I was again prompted to enter the activation key for version 10 and the version key for my previous version (8). As with my original issue, nothing further happened and i could not progress.
    Regards

Rod

[edit: removed image w/ license key]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  4. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Rod,
    Please check your private message.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Probably best to remove the image as it contains the keys and anyone can copy them!

6. Chris_Choffat

Chris_Choffat Bit poster

Hi, I just upgraded to Yosemite from Snow Leopard. I have the same problem as the OP. I found the file with my old keys, original one 5, I think, then the first upgrade. I do not know what version I had. Neither key worked. I tried the steps you outlined above in terminal, same problem. I paid for the version 10 upgrade, if I need the full version again (shouldn't) then how do i pay the difference?

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The upgrade to 10 is only available for 8 and 9.

8. Guy1

Guy1 Bit poster

I upgraded to 10.10 and my Windows 7 now says iI do not have a genuine copy. I contacted Microsoft and they say because I am on a Mac my key is no longer valid and want me to pay $99 for a new one. Is there a way to upgrade Parallels and still have my old key work? I have version 9 of Parallels.

Guy

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I don't mean to be rude, but this thread is about activating an upgrade license of Parallels Desktop, not Windows.

My only 2 comments on the situation, is that you should find a thread that is similar to your problem (this isn't), or create a new one, you should then give more information, namely if your Windows license is OEM or not. Basically what you have to tell Microsoft is that it is in the same machine you had Windows before, you didn't transfer your installation to a Mac, which seems to be what they understood. Anyway, I won't comment any further about that on this thread.

10. Guy1

Guy1 Bit poster

Thanks for your comment.

11. Nikky_Nixx

Nikky_Nixx Bit poster

How can I post my question on the forum?? Cannot find a way to do it?

I want to run multiple version of Windows on my MacBook at once.
    How far back does support for Windows go and how many versions can run in parallel?
    For example, say I wanted to run all of these together..

Win93
    Win95
    Win96
    Win98
    WinNT
    WinXP
    Win7
    WinVista
    Win8
    OSX

Would this be possible?