PD 9 and Yosemite -- official word, please

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PaulKorm, Oct 17, 2014.

1. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

What is the official word from the Parallels company on PD 9 and Yosemite compatibility. There are threads on the forum that say they are compatible, but when I run PD 9 (on Mavericks) it pops a message that says for "full compatibility" I'll need PD 10 before I upgrade to Yosemite. (This message does not appear each time I run PD 9, just some times.)

I reverted from PD 10 to PD 9 because PD 10 was horrible. So, if I uplevel from Mavericks to Yosemite am I going to have problems with PD 9? (Don't tell me PD 10 is fine; I'm not interested in that answer either.)

Official company position on this only, please. I'm not interested in responses from other customers or "experts".

2. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

FTLOSM likes this.
  3. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

Thank you for the links -- the KB article "What versions of PD are compatible with OS X 10.10" dates from several months ago with an "update" in September and refers only to the "public beta" (does not mention which one). Therefore the KB article is not relevant. Is there an official statement about the compatibility PD 9.24251 and OS X 10.10 as they exist today October 18, 2014?

The KB article "Parallels Desktop 10 OS X Yosemite specific features" does not address what features of OS X 10.10 would be lost by using PD 9. The article merely mentions features of OS X 10.10 that are not available to anyone unless they upgrade OS X 10.x to 10.10. The article does not answer the question posed by the warning box that opens when PD 9 is launched on 10.9.5 that PD 9 is not compatible with 10.10.

Since the KB articles are not answers, I'll ask again: (1) what is the official word from the Parallels company on PD 9 compatibility with OS X 10.10 (final) -- does the company know for a fact that every feature in PD 9 will fail, or every feature succeed, of something in between? (2) what PD features are lost in Yosemite (final) if we use PD 9 instead of PD 10?

Note: Responses from Parallels employees only.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

AFAIK, PDM9 will not lose any features in Yosemite, it will work just the same as it does on Mavericks, the difference is that PDM10 uses some new Yosemite features, the ones described in the article and PDM9 won't use those.

Then, of course, are the differences between PDM9 and 10 that do not depend on the OS it's installed on.

5. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

Thank you for taking the time. Specimen, but I am not looking for opinion. I am looking for an official response from a Parallels employee only.

6. SFerrari63

SFerrari63 Bit poster

I'm with the OP on this: What's the official word on the official Yosemite release and the latest PD 9?

7. Ivan_Frauca

Ivan_Frauca Bit poster

I agree with PaulKorm and SFerrari63. This http://kb.parallels.com/121895 refers to a beta version of Yosemite from 22nd september. Strange there is still no official statement from Parallels company regarding PD 9 and Yosemite. Please confirm.

Thanks

8. TJM123

TJM123 Bit poster

I've lost features in PD9 and Yosemite. My c: drive no longer mounts under "/Volumes" in MacOS. This is a serious problem for me as I have Mac apps that depend on that mount point. I've opened a support ticket and nothing but crickets. Nice job Parallels team! Uggg

9. SFerrari63

SFerrari63 Bit poster

I assume everyone got the same Service Notification in their e-mail today as I got:

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac will run on OS X Yosemite (10.10) as long as you are on the latest update; however it is not optimized or enhanced for Yosemite. To enjoy a Yosemite optimized version of Parallels Desktop, please upgrade to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac.

10. TJM123

TJM123 Bit poster

I got the same message. I guess for them "optimized" means working...