Please respond..

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by barrygarsson, Nov 20, 2014.

1. barrygarsson

barrygarsson Junior Member

I have Parallels 10.1.1 with a Windows XP inside it of course, and my actually only use is my - also of course installed is my Quicken Deluxe 2014.

My current issue is that somehow (recently) is is all very very slow - takes a lot of extra time to simply get Quicken starting, and even longer to download recent its "Tools -> One Step Update..." and, also now very slowly, its "Files -> Backup & Restore -> Backup Quicken File..."
    I also save my current backup of the current folder (contains my current "Quicken QDF data file" and its accompanying "Quicken QDF backup date file" and also "DAT File" and all contained inside a folder that is saved (copied) in another disk.
    Could I delete the entire Parallels folder (containing all of its inside Windows XP and containing its Quicken) and then reinstall Parallels, inside Windows XP, and inside Quicken, and reinstall the current "QDATA" from the saved existing current folder? Will it function faster as was originally folder compared with its current observation.
    Barry
    barrygarsson@bellsouth.net

PS This my first use of your Forum. Will I receive an answer? Thanks again.

2. HonzaIl

HonzaIl Member

Hello,
    I am not sure what answer you expect, but there is not much anyone can remotely do. If this was caused by Parallels update (worked fine before), then you can try to reinstall Parallels tools (which you can do anyway). I would take my backup copy of the VM (I assume you have pre-update copy somewhere) and try to use that one with updated Parallels after updating the tools. Sometimes VM get corrupted and this helps.
    You can try to trace it better - check the Mac drive for errors (those cause general slowdown - especially if in the VM data area), check the permissions...
    If all fails, sure, you can create new VM, install Windows XP, Quicken and see, if it is faster. No need to delete old VM, just keep it. One advantage of VM environment. You can have multiple VMs on the same computer.
    Note: my experience is, that SSDs on Mac sometimes slow down (in my case aftermarket, non-Apple SSDs) and Parallels show it first. You may want to test the speed, if you have SSD (BlackMagic disk speed test.app works fine) and see, if you are not loosing SSD speed. If yes, backup all data immediately - it will eventually become unbelievably slow... I was unable to recover original speed (TRIMP enabler did not help) without full wipe out and reinstall on this drive. And in few weeks it slowed again, with TRIM enabled.
    Not sure what else to suggest as there is many other things which could go wrong. Typically do not, but could...