Support for Using, Importing and Exporting VMs in the OVF format in Parallels

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Specimen, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Virtualization_Format

Support for such industry standard would be very positive and reassuring for customers. For anyone that cares about data retention of the information inside a VM the fact that the Parallels VM format is poorly supported (not documented) by other applications makes me feel very uneasy of using Parallels products to archive old computers (data, file systems, OS, runtimes, all that is necessary to open files created years ago 10 or 20 years from now).

Also, there are a lot of OVF appliances out there that would benefit gratly the Parallels (Desktop and Workstation) community.

Ironically, the only way to export Parallels VMs is thru VMWare.

2. WilliamPaul

WilliamPaul Member

This is quite interesting I feel it.Of course support will be very effective and that is when there is only one way to import parallels VMs through vmware

3. beta_jlockhar

beta_jlockhar Bit poster

Bump!

Any movement on this? Doing some research before I dig in so would like to know if OVF import is at least supported. Anyone from Parallels or with direct experience have a reply?