Transport Agent - Windows to Mac migration (via LAN) is very slow (3 days+)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Mathias_Knauer, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mathias_Knauer

Mathias_Knauer Junior Member

Hi,

I just bought a new Macbook Pro 13. I want to migrate my business Notebook (Lenovo X220 tablet). Windows to Mac migration from my Business Notebook takes already 36 hours and shows it'll take 12 more hours. Although the counter is going down, I won't believe it'll end at all. What can I do?

Mac:
    • Maverick, migrated from my old MB Air
    • 16 GB (almost completely used)
    • 512 GB SSD
    • Via USB-Network Adapter (100 Mbit) I am connected to the LAN
    • 29% CPU activity

Business Notebook:
    • My business SSD is coded with bitlocker
    • I paused bitlocker
    • around 110 GB is used from 256 GB SSD
    • I have local admin rights
    • Via Network cable I am connected to the LAN (1Gbit)
    • One core is completely active (so 25% CPU activity)
    What did I do already:
    • Bought the (bloody) USB Cable, which didn't work at all. I can't even select it, although windows shows me that it is connected.
    • I updated Parallels and transport agent to the latest version

Can you help? I can't wait 2 weeks ...

Thanks,
    Matzikowski

2. Mathias_Knauer

Here is a screenshot of my activities...

You see, only 600kb/sec are transferred from my windows Notebook

Attached Files:

3. Mathias_Knauer

4. Mathias_Knauer

Update II:
    Another try: I paused bitlocker and I stopped my firewall (cancelled every service) as well as my antivirus program. Double-Checked if I have the latest version of transporter agent (win) and parallels desktop (mac). I used a cross-over cable and manual IP addresses to ensure no router is between both laptops. Then I started again but without docuements. The initial speed is (as it was at my first try) very high (50 Mbit/s) and is dropping pretty quick to 3 MB/s. Time is also increasing: I started with 2 hours, when I started this post it said: 4:25 minutes, now it's already increased to 5 hours 27 minutes. I assume nothing has changed for me.

Does anyone has an idea?

5. Mathias_Knauer

Update III: Time went up to 12 hours and speed dropped to less than 1 MB/sec. CPU Activity is on average 35%. I expect again another drop on 600 kb/sec, it'll probably stuck again and no further progress be made.

Does anyone has an idea? Support, please help!

6. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

I don't have a solution for this, but when I tried this type of migration from my windows 7 pc to my iMac, the resulting installation was so defective that I had to delete windows from my Mac. I ended up creating a windows installation dvd and install that to my Mac. This worked like a charm.

7. Mathias_Knauer

Thanks.
    I already sent a request to the support, although they couldn't help me. Just sent me a regular hind list (disable antivirus/firewall, update everything, ...)

Update IV:
    I bought a thunderbolt-gigabit network adapter, to reach full speed during network-migration. Started the migration process around 8 pm with amazing 40 MB/sec which dropped pretty quick to less then 1 MB/sec -> at 7:30 am I had around 30% and still 17 hours to go, same as when I started with my first run. Even the transfer speed was on avarage 600kb/sec. Due to work, I had to quit the process again.

8. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

Have tried creating a windows installation disc (assuming you do. Or have an original install disc already? It will but much faster, even with installing your programs again.

9. Mathias_Knauer

Thing is, the Windows Machine is a company Computer with all the licences for Windows, VPN, Office and so on. I just want to transfer the entire system into the virtual machine. I don't have DVDs. :-(

10. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

11. Mathias_Knauer

I found a solution.
    Delete Parallels Desktop 10 and install Parallels Desktop 9. Run the trial version to migrate your windows PC to mac. Than do every update and configure your VM. Than install Parallels Desktop 10 and everything works fine.

It just took me around 15 minutes to transfer 100 GB Data. Amazing!

12. Damyan_Kasapov

Damyan_Kasapov Bit poster

Hello All

I have the same problem. Is there solution for Parallels 10 or I have to start with Parallels 9 and upgrade to 10?

13. RedDodgerAz

RedDodgerAz Bit poster

Thats ridiculous to have to downgrade, migrate and then upgrade. There has to be a simpler solution to this issue.

Albert_Waenger likes this.
  14. Kenneth Tse

Kenneth Tse Bit poster

Use Parallels 10 but Parallels Transporter Agent 9 will migrate successfully

RedDodgerAz likes this.
  15. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

We appreciate your time and patience.

Our devs are aware of the issue and are working on it. Please subscribe to http://kb.parallels.com/122720 so you will be notified once it is fixed.
    In the meanwhile, please download the previous verison Transporter agent for Windows from http://www.parallels.com/download/pta9-win and try migrating
    Using an External Storage Device.
    Please refer to http://kb.parallels.com/115007 for step by step instruction.

**Note** : It's not required to downgrade to Parallels Desktop 9 application in your Mac to migrate through External Storage Device.

16. Albert_Waenger

Albert_Waenger Bit poster

Acually i'm facing similar probs with the latest transporter version. I had no success using the pre proposed migration detours.
    I'd rather hate to prepare a scratch new installation. (Actually that's the reasion why perchuased it; migrating an working OS onVM on MAC OS X).
    Submitted issue also.

17. MickMac

MickMac Junior Member

Count me in complaining about this. Parallels transporter took about 20 hours to copy over 60GB.

18. Steve__Moss

Steve__Moss Bit poster

This issue appears to be known for at least 6 weeks based on these posts. What's the status? I bought/downloaded Parallels this weekend. Downloaded the most current transfer agent, and it appears my migration is saying 60+ hours. The current process is only 10% done and the time counter is still going up.

I've wasted hours moving files, uninstalling programs I really would like to have installed, just to try to get the migration size down some. NOTHING helps.

I tried the v9 nonsense, but that doesn't seem to work with Win8.1

WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?

Vadim_P likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Woods

Jonathan_Woods Bit poster

I faced the same original problem using Transporter 10 on a Windows 7 Samsung laptop - ever-increasing estimate of time to complete, high CPU. I tried downgrading to Parallels 9, but when I try to run Transporter it says "The source computer cannot be transferred to a Parallels virtual machine. [...] The source computer volumes can be transferred as data disks only, because neither of them is an active volume or has an operating system installed". Which isn't true. :( This is a favour for a friend, and I have spent more than a day moving data onto external hard disks etc, and I'm still no further forward. I guess I have to wait until a fix is made, and in the meantime shunt all that data back again so she can carry on using her machine.

20. Steve__Moss

Steve__Moss Bit poster

I've never been so ticked off with a product and their support as I am now. After struggling with this product for a couple of days (reference post above) I set up a meeting with support. The agent was just about an hour late. I spent an hour on the phone, the support person set my system so it should work. He says "It;'s your system, but it will be fine now." And he disappears. I finally stopped the migration after 4 days waiting, and 24 hours with no updates in the UI for time remaining. Comparing directory where the migration was pointed to, still showed the migration working, but at 1/2 gb per hour. Down from 2 gb / minute at the start.

I restarted a new migration, using the same settings, but to external media. USB 3.0 device. Stopped it after 5 days, same thing, the migration was still going, but at a rate that i could not expect it to finish before the start of 2016.

Whats got me so hopping mad is that they won't acknowledge there's an issue (even though they have here), won't indicate when it will be fixed. 6 weeks to fix a problem, really? And worst I keep getting these automated responses. (paraphrased) WE haven't heard from you so we're assuming the problem is fixed and were closing the ticket. I keep responding the issue is not fixed. Then I get a call from support after reporting a crash. They support group has my crash report, and wants me to create a problem report. Really, you knew enough to call me, and you have the crash report. Sheesh

I went by the local Mac store. I mentioned parallels and they sales guy shuddered and shook his head, and recommended VMFusion.

By the way. VMFusion took 2 hours to do the VM for me!!!! 'nough said.

Vadim_P likes this.