Ubuntu 12.04 support

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by SilvrDrgn, Apr 26, 2012.

1. CarstenD

CarstenD Bit poster

Yes unfortunately. It's running at least, but without the Tools it's much less comfortable. Ah well, hope they'll fix it eventually so Ubuntu updates don't break the Tools functionality. At least not for so long.

2. BSilverthorn

BSilverthorn Bit poster

Any luck from anyone? On 12.04

I have tried every hack, patch, kernel source code download etc... to get Parallels Tool to install. I have done a clean install on 12.04 in both 64bit and 32. So far 4 hours later no go... Any suggestions? Any?

3. JakubL

JakubL Junior Member

After doing what i wrote earlier, did You repack the kmods.tar.gz file? It works for me on Ubuntu 12.04 (except the mouse cursor)

4. MCPolo

MCPolo Bit poster

Same issue

Resolution is messed up, mouse is messed up, can't share clip board or folders!! Man!

I tried Jakubl's instructions but I get an error when trying to unpack the tar.gz file. I run tar -xvzf prl_mod.tar.gz and I get ERROR message - tar:./prl_pc: Cannot mkdir: Read-only file system. I'm under su right now too. Then it just says Exiting with failure status due to pervious errors. I really want to install parallel tools...

5. Lars-EivindB

Lars-EivindB Junior Member

Guess that's why 12.04 isn't supported yet ;)
    What's sad is that it seems like Parallels Workstation is less prioritized than Parallels Desktop for Mac :(

6. MCPolo

MCPolo Bit poster

How are people coping with this though? The inability to share clip board is seriously hindering my work flow.

7. Lars-EivindB

I tried with the Parallels Desktop (the Mac version) version of Parallels Tools, and that worked somewhat better, but the VM was unresponsive and used 100% CPU all the time.

I decided to install 11.10, and that seems to work fine. My plan is to upgrade to 12.04 when this is supported. I'd rather have a good 11.10 experience than a crappy 12.04 experience.

Everything seems ok in 12.04 except that the Alt-Gr key doesn't work for some reason, so I can't type the "@" character.
    This is not specific for Ubuntu, though.

8. BSilverthorn

BSilverthorn Bit poster

repack

I tried the repack but still just got frustrated trying to use the mouse. For now I just my ubuntu to virtual box it works really well for I what I need..

9. WojtekJ

WojtekJ Bit poster

Same, here. I'm getting really frustrated with PWE, cause the support is extremely bad (at least for the price they are charging you for it...)

I've submitted a ticked about being unable to access disks directly (tried it on several different computers and this featur simply doesn't work...) more than a month ago, they quickly closed it and told me that there is nothing they can do and that their engineering team will handle it sometime in the future (or not...).

Just submited a ticket about prl-tools in ubuntu 12.04, we'll see if they'll update the tools.

10. WojtekJ

WojtekJ Bit poster

Which actually means: we don't care, but we're gonna make you think that we do.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Bit poster

Worked fine... thanks!
    but then, it's the mouse problem... :-( it's July.
    Build 6.0.13976 (Revision 769982; June 8, 2012)

12. Lars-EivindB

To me Parallells has been quite disappointing. Ubuntu 12.04 was released 3 months ago and is still not supported. It seems like the Mac version is the one that gets all the utdates, while the Windows/Linux version is just a side product.
    Until 12.04 works, I use VirtualBox, as that fulfills my needs better.

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Bit poster

Agreed. The Windows/Linux release is just worth the $9.99 I paid for it. Not a penny more.VirtualBox, unfortunately, does not seem to allow me to run full-screen. May be time to try a new version. VMWare Player also plays in its own window with no full-screen capability.

14. YutakaT

YutakaT Bit poster

Any update on Ubuntu 12.04 on Parallels Workstation for Windows?

I use both Parallels Desktop for Mac and Workstation for Windows. It is great if Windows version soon support Ubuntu 12.04 so that I can share the guest OS image between Mac and Windows. Any plan to support Ubuntu 12.04 on Windows host OS environment?

15. Lars-EivindB

I actually got it working pretty well yesterday!
    I downloaded Parallels Desktop 8 (the .dmg-file for Mac), extracted it using dmg2img (in Ubuntu), and found the ISOs with Parallels Tools (which are newer than the ones for Parallels Workstation).

I then install linux-kernel-headers and build-essentials from apt, and mounted the ISO (prl-tools-lin.iso) in the VM.
    These tools installed just fine :D

After installing, a process called prlcc caused the VM to use nearly 100% CPU - I fixed this by going to "startup applications" in Ubuntu, and disabled Parallels Control Center.

To me, everything seems to work fine now - sound, video, networking works flawlessly :)

If you have a Mac, I guess that creating the VM in Parallels Desktop 8 and then copying to Parallels Workstation 6 should work similarly.

I consider this a temporary solution - I guess that the Parallels Tools for Parallels Desktop also are bound to the 30 days of trial use.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  16. YutakaT

YutakaT Bit poster

Great Work Around

Such a great work around for a meanwhile. I will try to extract prtl-tools-lin.iso from Parallels Desttop 8. Thanks!

17. YutakaT

YutakaT Bit poster

Workaround works fine!

I tried extracting prtl-tools-lin.iso from Parallels Desttop 8, and the workaround works fine on my Windows PC now!

18. sammey

sammey Bit poster

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give you all an update. We have not forgotten about you and are still hard at work trying to get this software out for you all.

@ Herry We plan on having it out this year. I don't have a hard date for release at this point but are working on it as I type.

Thanks
    www.myniagaratours.com

19. Bleeker C

Bleeker C Bit poster

Extract worked for me as well

Extracting the parallels tools from V.8 worked for me as well on v. 6.0.12106 for Mac.

So here's what I don't understand. I spend $100 on v. 6. I don't need new features, or new host OS support. But when development on support for the client OS tools is bogarded to force you to upgrade, that is ridiculous. What did our enterprise organization pay for maintenance on this POS for if they aren't going to continue to develop it. Its as simple as providing the newest .iso's from the 8 release as they are all obviously backwards compatible.

I'll be pushing to move our organization to VMWare when V6 maintenance updates haven't been released for over a year.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012