Very disappointed in paying full again for an "upgrade"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by David_T, Sep 26, 2014.

1. David_T

David_T Member

I've been using parallels version 7 on OSX Lion running a win xp vm. The xp emulation done everything I needed and I did not upgrade as I believe it leaving things alone that work well.

I had to upgrade the mac OSX version to mavericks as had some mac problems and was told this free upgrade would fix it, which it has. I was not impressed to find parallels no longer ran at all. According to the error link, I had to upgrade to a new version. So I followed the link, done the upgrade at £35, only to find that version 7 cannot be upgraded, and I must pay for a full license again at £65.

I'm really annoyed at buying full v7 to run xp, and it was doing so well, only to find a free apple update means I must now buy full new license to do exactly the same as my v7 version done.

I feel very ripped off as I need xp on my mac, and have had to pay twice for parallels in two years. I would strongly advise anyone thinking about using parallels to check the small print (if it even was there), as you could end up paying again for use of parallels.

2. Michael_Springfield

Michael_Springfield Bit poster

David,

I am with you here. I am also very frustrated with their "you have to have a license for every computer" policy. My wife and I have a Mac Mini, 2 iMacs, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. At $50 each for upgrades it ends up costing me $250 a year to stay current. I have been using Parallels since Version 3 and I have paid for my last upgrade with them. Last year when Parallels 9 came out I paid for 2 upgrades and then bought copy of VMWare Fusion for the same price as the Parallels upgrade. VMWare Fusion lets individuals install on all Macs that you own. Only businesses have to pay for a license for each computer. This year I will not be upgrading my Parallels 9 to 10. I will be upgrading my VMWare Fusion and migrating all of my Parallels VMs over to VMWare. I have had a very long and very good relationship with Parallels but their policies are way out of date and I can justify paying more when a competitor's product works just as well for less money.

Michael

3. David_T

David_T Member

I used to have fusion before parallels, I was convinced to change, but it is about the same as far as i can see. Parallels was slightly more stable, I image fusion is also better now.