Windows 8 Support

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BSilverthorn, Aug 17, 2012.

1. BSilverthorn

BSilverthorn Bit poster

Anyone else tried Parallels 6 in Windows 8 RTM? Just upgraded my Windows 7 to 8 RTM for the fun of it. So far not so good, the VM's run but it can't see the nics. Just wandering anyone else has tried. I revert back to 7 later next week, since I duped the drive.

2. dmportella

dmportella Bit poster

I have the same issue, however when I start my machine if I reboot after a cold boot the NIC's appear again. I have raised a support ticket on this.

3. arko12

arko12 Banned

hi
    i use paralles6 in windows8 in last two week.ithink it is better updet then windos7...........

4. ukSamo

ukSamo Bit poster

Windows 8 Pro shared network adaptor failure

I've just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro x64 (full version) from Windows 7 Pro x64 and come across this same problem. I've completely uninstalled Parallels Workstation 6 and rebuild one of my Virtual Machines and still having the same problem. Basically every time you choose either the Shared or Host-Only network adaptors an error pops up stating:

"The physical network adapter connected to virtual network adapter 1 does not exist. Do you want to save the virtual machine configuration anyway?"

So far the only way I've managed to get network connectivity within Windows 8 is by bridging to the physical adaptor.

Hopefully this will get fixed shortly unless anyone knows a work around?

5. ThomasQ

ThomasQ Bit poster

I have the same problem :(

Waiting for an PW update to fix this issue

6. ukSamo

ukSamo Bit poster

Not compatible with Windows 8

I had a reply from support last week to my query about this issue, they referred me to the supported operating systems section of the manual stating that Windows 8 is not supported as the host, so basically I've owned the application for 5 weeks and its no longer fully usable, great! They've had months to work on a fix, with plenty of pre-release Windows 8 to trial a working version, very frustrating!

7. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

i wonder if workstation 6 will ever "officially" support Windows 8. i doubt it.

for that matter, i get the feeling that Workstation 6 will never support anything beyond what is currently listed under "system requirements" at http://www.parallels.com/products/workstation/

most everything is shamefully outdated by years (with the exception of 'experimental support for windows 8 as guest OS' and Debian 6).

i suppose Parallels isn't guilty of false or misleading advertising because the supported systems are clearly listed, but i just find it unbelievable if Workstation 6 will never upgrade official support for the more current OS's.

8. asawyer13

asawyer13 Bit poster

Does pretty much everyone agree that it would be a bad choice to purchase Parrallels Workstation??

I had been using VMWare and fairly happy with it, but the upgrade cost to support WIn 8 was hefty, so I downloaded and installed PW 6. I like it a lot. Not using Win 8 on it yet. I see where Win 8 isn't really supported yet.

I have a brand new laptop being delivered today running Win 8 64bit so would it be dumb to continue with PW???

If so, has anyone used VirtualBox or something?? It costs $119 to upgrade to VMWare that supports Win 8, so I'd rather not unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance
    Alan

9. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

I've used virtualbox, vmware player, and workstation 6 for personal (and hobby) use only. i wouldn't know why you would need to upgrade to a $119 versiin of vmware when you can download and use vmware player and virtualbox for free.

The only benefit of workstation 6 is a bit more support for resizing partitions, cloning, and setting up peripherals. You can do most of those things in vmware player and virtualbox, but it is a little more work. There is no graphics support in Workstation 6 and vmware player has better graphics. i was able to play XP games in vmware player, but not in W6 or virtualbox.

BEWARE!! Your supported OSes, both host and guest, are extremely limited in W6. Make sure the OSes you need are supported NOW http://www.parallels.com/products/workstation/ because i get the feeling that W6 will NEVER EVER support any other OS than those that are listed now. it hasn't changed in the last 6 months and all the linux distros are years old except Debian.

Workstation 6 is only $6.99 so it is not really that big of a deal, but i'd say it is a complete waste of money. it is so cheap because IMHO it is a dead product and parallels has no plans to support windows 8 or more recent linux versions. My guess is that sooner or later Parallels will release Workstation 7 and that version will support Windows 8, but not W6.

One other thing. This Forum here in parallels is completely dead. there is a lot more activity and discussion in virtualbox and vmware forums.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  10. asawyer13

asawyer13 Bit poster

I sometimes create my own VM s so that's why I use VMware workstation.

I do appreciate your input. I think it gives me the direction I was looking for.

Thanks

11. nwlaurie

nwlaurie Bit poster

windows 8 network NIC (and sound) problems

Try re-installing Parallels Tools. It worked for me after weeks of frustration!

12. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

You got Workstation 6 to work in Windows 8 with parallels tools? What is your host OS and what is your guest OS and hows it going so far?

13. Sarah73H

Sarah73H Bit poster

Is it working fine now? I am thinking to switch to windows 8 but I am not sure if everything will work including Parallels 6.

14. nguyenh123

nguyenh123 Bit poster

When I use paralles6 the win 7. Everything is very good, but when upgrading to Win 8. It does not run anymore