Workaround found for 'Black Screen' on Mac 10.9.3 Guest

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AshkanS, May 16, 2014.

1. the_klutzak

the_klutzak Bit poster

Another week, and no fix.

2. wingzero1

wingzero1 Bit poster

sigh...and now 10.9.4 is officially released. Still no fix. Pretty poor support on this issue.

3. rcstevensonaz

rcstevensonaz Junior Member

WingZero1, if by "poor support" you mean Abysmal, Pathetic, or an attitude of To-hell-with-customer-because-we-dont-care-since-our-competitors-have-different-issues, then I fully agree with you.

What is most glaring is not that the issue is unresolved (which is bad) but that Parallels does not care enough about their affected customers to even provide meaningful updates on this issue.

4. lastlos

lastlos Bit poster

the update is already out, but without any statement and it also doesn't show up if you check for updates within parallels. Just redownload from the website. I can at least confirm that the latest build of 10.9.4 with Parallels Tools is working fine.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-07-07 um 18.32.36.png

5. jebworks

jebworks Member

Just updated to this latest version. When launching Mac OS 10.9.3 as a VM I get the alert at the bottom that Parallels Tools are outdated and need to be reinstalled manually.
    How can I do that without first being able to complete the launch? Clicking on Update Parallels Tools from the Virtual Machine Menu doesn't do anything either. Thought the issue was addressed?

OK, I trashed the previously installed OS 10.9.3 that was stuck! Now I try to drag the exact .dmg file into the Parallels Install tool to install it again and I'm unable to do so. It also doesn't find the file automatically. What's going on here?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  6. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

7. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi jebworks,

Please Go to Virtual Machine Configure (http://kb.parallels.com/117287) -> Hardware -> CD/DVD 1 -> Select "prl-tools-mac.iso" in Connect to and Enable Connected check box.

Now start the Virtual Machine and the Parallels Tools icon will appear in the VM Desktop, run the file to install/Update Parallels Tools.

8. Beeble42

Beeble42 Bit poster

So this is fixed for parallels 9, but 8 was also sold as being mavericks compatible. It currently isn't. Any news on when this video driver fix will be back ported?

9. Beeble42

Beeble42 Bit poster

No response at all on keeping version 8 meeting it's obligations. Wow. You can't sell a product as having certain features and then, when something happens to cause those features to stop functioning as intended, ask for more money to get the features back. In many countries, including the one where I purchased Parallels Desktop 8, that kind of behaviour is illegal.

Thanks for helping me figure out my virtualisation strategy when I upgrade my Mac later this year.

10. WarnerP

WarnerP Bit poster

My problem with the black screen started with osx 10.9.4 and parallels 9.0.24237.

11. thesmxp

thesmxp Bit poster

I am trying to install the update, but the Update crashes every time I try to install it. I can only run Parallels by skipping the update. Any ideas?

12. WarnerP

WarnerP Bit poster

My problem was solved with a reinstall of Windows 7. With extensive help of Parallels we found out that Windows 7 didn't work properly.

13. thesmxp

thesmxp Bit poster

I'm on the latest Mac OS X (10.9.4). I can use the previous version of Parallels, but the latest patch does not install. I wonder if the black screen workaround I used from this thread is breaking the update?