Big solution for PD4 problems with Boot Camp!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by strells, Nov 12, 2008.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

OK, I've been fighting with PD4 for the past 24 hours and I think I have finally gotten it to the point where I'm happy. I had no problem upgrading my VM to PD4 from PD3. Here were my problems:

Can't connect to hard disk 1 errors
    Read/write permissions errors
    Installed Parallels tools basically not doing anything (no coherence, mouse sync, etc.)

Here's what I did. I ended up creating a new VM for BC. PD4 kept telling me that Parallels Tools was not installed, so I kept trying to reinstall, but it did nothing (still no coherence, etc.). I then decided to remove Parallels Tools using the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel. After rebooting, I then manually ran the Parallels Tools installer by selecting the prl_tools_win.iso CD image (/Library/Parallels/Tools/prl-tools-win.iso). This time, the installer ran for about 10 to 15 minutes instead of the 30 seconds to 1 minute it was running before. Now when I rebooted, things *almost* got back to normal.

Again, I was getting the can't connect to disk errors. I followed another suggestion posted here: go to the config and change from Boot Camp to image file, ignoring the warning, and then click OK to save. Then go back into the config and change back to the Boot Camp partition.

After all this, I seem to finally be stable. I have not yet tried making any other changes in the configuration because it may require switching temporarily to an image file again. But, at least I'm finally back in business and I may actually pay the 3.0 to 4.0 upgrade fee. But none of this should have happened in the first place.

Steve

2. strells

strells Product Expert

OK, I've now confirmed that any configuration change requires switching to an image file then back to the BC partition. All I did was enable drop shadows for coherence, and I got the same "can't connect to hard disk 1" error.

Argh! Parallels needs to fix this quickly.

Steve

3. martyn

martyn Bit poster

Ugh!!!

I just had the same problem, it hung my whole machine and i had to delete the Vista VM. Now i am going to re-install... bt I can't find a way to make a VM from BootCamp like the previous edition. Had a bad 12 hours with version 4.

4. peterock

peterock Bit poster

Tried that fix did not work for me

5. epirali

epirali Member

I just posted that in the other forum too, I found the same thing. Even without changing configuration (shut down, restart) was getting the "can't connect to disk" error. A quick switch and switch back fixes it, but does cause a reinstall of the Parallel tools (joy).

6. strells

strells Product Expert

Don't let it reinstall! That screws everything up.

Steve

7. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Good Lord, make this a sticky thread or something. I followed the above procedure and *fingerscrossed* have a stable VM running since 3 reboots.

Thanks man!

8. dstathop

dstathop Bit poster

Sorry, but this didn't seem to work for me.

9. strells

strells Product Expert

What exactly didn't work?

Steve

10. dstathop

dstathop Bit poster

I should have probably provided more details then my flippant repsonse, but this issue has me a little annoyed.

I saw the same thing you did. I removed my current boot camp VM and created a new one no problem and then was tossed into this morass of not being able to install parallel tools.

I found the iso file you mentioned, but didn't have any luck running the program. I double clicked it and then nothing or at the very least it didn't appear to me that anything was going on. I also tried copying the executable to my windows desktop, but had no luck doing that.

I guess I expected something to happen when i launched that file in the .iso file, but I didn't get any indication that anything was happening. Is this an issue where i should have launched the file and walked away from the computer, because no dialog box popped up that a program was running, nothing showed up on my dock as a running application.

ds

11. dstathop

dstathop Bit poster

Well, I got the parallel tools installed off the iso file. I had to copy it to a thumbdrive within the Mac OS and then re-insert the thumbdrive and have the VM see it and the setup.exe ran just fine. The I did the whole image file/boot camp partition thing and it seems to be working nicely now.

It still tells me and wants to install parallel tools though, which is bothersome, because parallel tools is installed just fine. So, there could be something else going on or I might just start this whole process from scratch again.

Thanks for the fix, but it should never have gotten to this point. We'll see what the folks here at parallels can come up with as far as a hot fix solution goes.

ds