Unable to connect to Hard Disk 1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by plazmyd, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Ben Chong

Ben Chong Bit poster

No solution for hard disk image users

Same problem as everyone else.

I also tried using the Parallels Image Tool to mount the hard disk image but it complained that this was something it did not recognize.

I did not have the same level of problems upgrading Fusion.

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Ok. You should do the following things:

1. Open configuration editor
    2. Select hard disk 1 and click "-" button under the whole hardware list. That removes disk from configuration.
    3. Add new disk (click "+" button) then select Boot camp
    4. Go to the Boot order tab in the configuration editor and move Hard disk to the upper position.

That should help.

Also you may create a new VM with boot camp, no data from real HDD will be lost in that case.

And one last question - did you edit the old config file of parallels by hands?

3. Ynot

Ynot Pro

What is your problem report ID?

4. Ben Chong

Ben Chong Bit poster

I don't have a bootcamp partition. So switching to bootcamp does not work.

5. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Thanks, i wrote you via message tracking system.

6. ibcrosby

ibcrosby Bit poster

I am also using an image and not boot camp and have same "unable to connect to hard disk 1" message. Still haven't found any fixes. Please help!

7. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Ok, after that message select "Report a problem" item in the Help menu and send reports to the Parallels. After sending the PD40 tell you the report ID, you should write it here and i'll try to help you.

8. webs

webs Bit poster

Also trying to use an image file and get the same message.

My ID was 12349

9. RichB

RichB Junior Member

My Problem ID: 12388

Tried that but am unable to write the hard drive configuration to save the changes.

Tried that and it lasted one reboot into Boot Camp and am back to getting the drive not found error in Parallels 4.

No.

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If it is Boot Camp, try solution earlier in the post , change Boot Camp, to image -OK, back to Boot Camp OK.
    Please note, that this work for MBR and GPT table, if yoou use old Boot Camp, or refit it will not work

11. denpashonen

denpashonen Member

Alas, I was feeling fortunate that I was able to upgrade successfully after my second try. On my day three, I am now encountering this same issue with my VM image. At boot-time, Parallel returns, "Unable to access Hard Disk 1; An error occurred when accessing the hard disk. Error ID: Input/output error."

My report ID is 12422. BTW, what is the "tracking system" referred earlier to respond to reports?

How come there's no general workaround for image users as opposed to BootCamp users posted by Parallels for this issue?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  12. denpashonen

denpashonen Member

I also followed the thread earlier on this post and elsewhere on this forum and made a copy of the config.pvs file and applied the full path of the hdd location in the SystemName, but the fix did not work for me.

And no, prior to this fix attempt, I did not edit the config.pvs file manually. However, I believe I did adjust the CPU count to 2 from 1 prior to the last restart of my VM using the Configuration Editor.

This is a horrible bug, if simple adjustment of the configuration renders your VM completely inaccessible. Parallels, you guys are already scaring away your existing user base with problematic upgrade. If this issue doesn't scare potential new users to VMWare, I don't know what will.

As for me, I'm reverting back to PD 3 for now and consider full transition to VMWare Fusion 2 for our office. We started out with all PD base, but now third of our office uses Fusion 2. I was holding out for this update but I'd be crazy to consider going through the same upgrade headache + this bug for everyone.

13. denpashonen

denpashonen Member

Just prior to loading my pre-conversion PD3 VM file and downgrading to PD3, I attempted to boot the PD4 file again. This time it did complete boot, auto-logged on to the Windows XP Desktop but shortly thereafter halted again and the same "Unable to access Hard Disk 1...Input/output error." notice was displayed.

This does appear to indicate that this issue is different than those solved by re-specifying the hdd path. PD4 is aware of the location but somehow fails to access to complete loading the Windows XP processes.

I reported this latest instance on report ID 12453.

14. RichB

RichB Junior Member

Problem ID: 12388

This "Unable to connect to Hard Disk 1" problem has gone away for me, so far. I tried a lot of the fixes posted here and now things are stable. I wonder if it has to do with editing the Configuration before the VM was completely closed. In PD 3 that was not possible but now it is in PD 4.

15. job

job Bit poster

Me to, if image file means the ".pvm". My ID is 12493.

job

16. denpashonen

denpashonen Member

More update on my issue.

I attempted to copy the PD4 VM image files over to an external disk hoping to deal with it if/when the workaround became available. However, the copy attempt failed for the hdd file as OS X returned "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 'winxp.hdd' could not be read or written. (Error code -36)".

I then verified my Macintosh HD to see if it detected any errors. The check returned that partition appear to be OK.

I was able to mount my hdd file by double-clicking on it and I recovered any files that I needed from the PD4 VM.

17. beagley

beagley Member

Yup: Solved!

Thanks everyone on this thread!
    I noticed that the error happened after I had made some changes in the Configure panel, so I KNEW it must have something to do with the config.pvs file... but wasn't sure how to edit it myself.

This thread correctly shows that the Configure window in Parallels is somehow resetting the <SystemName> item... even if you don't change anything in the Configure window. This must be the source of TONS of user frustrations.

If Parallels is monitoring this thread, they should FIX THIS ERROR IMMEDIATELY. It is such an easy coding mistake! It should take them seconds to fix!

This thread has saved me HOURS of labor.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If you're ever in Northern Vermont, drop me a note and I'll buy you a beer!

-Douglas

18. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

Same problem but...

This has reared its ugly head with me now. My Microsoft Boot Camp partition is accessible from the Mac, but I can no longer boot to it nor use Parallels to "VM" it. The error is identical to what's posted above. Basically, I'm now dead in the water until I can figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. I'm running XP via Boot Camp with Parallels 4.0.

Note that after I run Parallels now, I have to manually open the old .pvm image. It then runs and gets "Failed to configure the Boot Camp paritition's hard disk.....A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for this disk."

Error #13223 (I had previously submitted another one, but I've no way of knowing what that # is.)

19. Thierry_B

Thierry_B Bit poster

Sorry..message erased. "false start"

20. Thierry_B

Thierry_B Bit poster

Don't try the coherence mode if you have a bootCamp XP. Each time I've been trying it (twice), I had this mesasge (can't find the HDD blablabla).
    Then I had to erase the VM created and rebuild a new one.