Uninstall 4.0, back to 3.0 we Go

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JoshSpurlock, Nov 24, 2008.

1. JoshSpurlock

JoshSpurlock Junior Member

So, how does one go about reverting back to 3.0?

Assuming you took to option to backup the VM, as offered during installation.

Would love to use 4.0, but I've got work to do and don't have time to Beta test it for Parallels. Disappointed with the decision to release before it was really functional.

If some one can help me get back to a functional 3.0, I would really appreciate it.

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Here's the process to revert to Parallels Desktop 3:

1. Uninstall Parallels Desktop 4 (the Uninstaller application is found on the DMG distribution)
    2. Reboot your Mac as suggested by uninstaller (not necessary, but could help avoid problems with any drivers left in the system)
    3. Download and install Parallels Desktop 3
    4. Get your Vm from backup, register with Parallels Desktop 3 and run.

For our records, what was your reason to downgrade to PD3? Can you refer me to the thread or to support issue id? Thank you.

3. JoshSpurlock

Sure, I actually have several problems I'm running into. Here is my case# 622174, if that's helpful.

My reason for downgrading is, I have a lot of work to get done before thanksgiving and just can't afford to wait for all the bugs to get worked out to get my stuff done.

Where exactly is the default location for the backup of the VM that is created before it is upgraded to 4.0?

4. JoshSpurlock

Where is it, and what will it be named?

5. STim

STim Bit poster

Thank you.

During VM upgrade, Parallels Desktop 4 offered you to select the backup destination. Your VM is stored there.

6. JoshSpurlock

I don't remember seeing where it said it was going to put it. What would it be name so I can spotlight it?

7. JoshSpurlock

What would be the default location?

8. STim

STim Bit poster

It contains (Backup) in folder name, so please spotlight for this keyword

9. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

hi,

i would like to switch back die pd3, too. unfortunately i have no backup. is there a tool for downgrading a pd4 vm to pd3?

jörg

10. doornum3

doornum3 Bit poster

4.0 Nightmare

I have been successfully using 3.0 for the past year and was excited about the upgrade, but it's been awful. It would never completely install and I had to finally ignore the message not to uninstall 3.0 and wipe everything out, just installing 4.0. I thought Windows XP installed cleanly, but now one of the two apps I really need Parallels for doesn't work as smoothly as it did in 3.0 (no fonts, coherence doesn't work). I tried going back to 3.0 and it wouldn't install properly so that's when I chose to uninstall everything and use just 4.0. I need both of the apps I use heavily on a daily basis and this makes me want to switch back to a PC. Very unhappy with this version; which I'd ignored the upgrade email altogether.

11. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

1. Would you please describe Coherence problems a bit more detailed. Probably we will be able to manage them.
    2. What application does not work after upgrade (the link to the vendor's site will be greatly appreciated). How does this malfunction show itself?

Thank you.

12. Fritz

Fritz Bit poster

Another one going back to 3.0

And I hope I can get my 3.0 environment reinstalled & restored to the way it was. Pretty much anything that contains the phrase "installing Parallels" makes me nervous now.

Installed 4.0, started to convert my XP VM, got "an error" midway through, the popup referred me to a page on manually completing VM conversion. Following those instructions, I launched setup.exe on the Parallels CD image, but the VM conversion wizard never came up (got the Parallels Tools installer instead), so I have no idea whether or not the VM was converted successfully. 4.0 completely trashed my Ubuntu VM.

Here's a weird one: Before installing 4.0, I backed up my internal drive using Carbon Copy Cloner so I'd have a full, working install of 3.0 if I needed it. The troubleshooting page above suggested that the error in VM conversion might be because my XP account didn't have auto-login enabled (that breaks the upgrade process? WTF?), so I booted off the clone, launched 3.0, enabled auto-login in XP, and quit out of Parallels. Returning to the Finder, the Parallels app had the 4.0 icon. Hitting "Get Info" showed it had a 4.0 version number. Doubleclicking it launched 4.0. This is on the CLONED COPY of my drive I made BEFORE installing 4.0. This is the icon I had JUST CLICKED ON to launch 3.0. There was no copy of 3.0 left on any drive. Explain that one.

The final straw was when modifier keys (shift, option, etc.) stopped working in Filemaker. I asked a FM guru friend about it, and he said, "Hm... did you just install Parallels, by chance?"

I don't even care if he's right or wrong. I've wasted so much time on this 'upgrade' that the wasted $40 it cost pales in comparison to the $$$ in lost work hours.

13. Fritz

Fritz Bit poster

Followup: Uninstalling 4.0 fixed the Filemaker modifier keys issue.

14. doornum3

doornum3 Bit poster

The two apps I was running in Parallels are NiceLabel and UPS Worldship, both of which are critical to running my online business. After several unsuccessful attempts to either upgrade or just go back to version 3.0, I did a trial of VM Fusion and everything was up and running smoothly, with absolutely no installation problems. With Parallels, Windows XP kept hanging up. I managed to get it completely installed once during all this mess, but my Worldship was not working correctly. After spending 3 days trying to get Parallels/Windows installed smoothly, I gave up and went the VM Fusion route, and I'm glad I did.

15. Fritz

Fritz Bit poster

Followup #2: Reverting back to 3.0 worked fine (thank heavens).