Trouble after manual roll back to the ACPI Hal

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by epirali, Dec 2, 2008.

1. epirali

epirali Member

Ok being the adventurous (read stupid) user that I am I tried manually rolling back to the ACPI Hal, and now Parallels VM crashes right before user login screen with attached screen shot. I can boot into Safe Mode, and Fusion can boot with no problems. I have tried switching number of processors, etc, and nothing has helped.

Any thoughts or advice?

Attached Files:

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Not a problem -)

Just either

a) boot to the safe mode, open the regedit (Start->Run->regedit.exe) and delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm

or

b)
    1. Attach Windows Installation CD to Virtual Machine.
    2. Change boot sequence for Virtual Machine to boot from CD
    3. Start Virtual Machine.
    4. Once you see a first prompt from Windows, type "R" to enter recovery console.
    5. In Recovery Console wait for a prompt to choose your installation, type '1' followed by Return and enter administrator password
    6. Run the following command:
    Code:
    disable intelppm
    You will see service current status SERVICE_DISABLED
    7. Exit Recovery Console typing 'exit'.
    8. Virtual Machine will be restarted, and Windows will boot properly.

3. epirali

epirali Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I happened to find this right after I posted and was coming back to report.

4. Tony Rossini

Tony Rossini Bit poster

Very interesting information. The more I read the more I understand.

Does the registry key deletion or console code revert the vm back to single processor?

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

afaik no, but I can't really say with confidence (it's not my work-area), the only thing I know for sure, that there are certain situations when driver intelppm fails and causes BSOD.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. epirali

epirali Member

BTW the whole experiment was stupid of me, because I didn't pause to think through the fact that I have a 4 processor PowerMac and really SHOULD be running the multi processor HAL! I wasn't even able to boot with BootCamp until I used the very useful tech note, managed to boot and then reverted my the multi processor HAL using "RollBack Driver."