Maintenance Update/PDMU4021

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by austieoporosis, Jan 25, 2009.

1. austieoporosis

austieoporosis Bit poster

I'm running 4.0.3810. When I try to install the aforementioned update, it downloads, prompts me to enter my password, and then after a few seconds, I get the following error message: "Unable to install the update." "Try to launch the installation again. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance." Needless to say, the problem has persisted. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. eddyk

eddyk Member

Same problem here. Leopard 10.5.6 , 3 GB Ram, Parallels Build 4.0.3810, MacBook Pro 15", 2.33 GHz, Hitachi 160 GB, NO bootcamp.

3. dcrinzema

dcrinzema Member

What is PDMU4021??

I just had the same notification pop up, but I haven't attempted to install it. I've been using Parallels for 2+ years and have never seen anything like this. What is it, is it a new way to do incremental updates between releases, why are these problems cropping up, and should I even attempt to install it if I'm not having the problems it purports to fix?

Thanks.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Shutdown VMs first.

5. pscarnegie

pscarnegie Bit poster

VMs are shut down. Update still won't install. So far not impressed with this 4.0 version. Major issues with permissions as well - even though the VM is installed in the Shared directory.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Maybe you should do a Permissions Repair in Disk Utility.

7. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

PDMU is a maintenance update for 3810. If you run "Check for Updates" you will find it. After finding the update I shut down Windows and then closed Parallels Desktop. Then I ran the update. I asked for my password as usual for any install and then completed fine. The build number is still 3810, but it's supposed to fix a few things. We'll see.

8. pscarnegie

pscarnegie Bit poster

I've run permissions repair for both this update as well as the Shared folder permissions issue. I've done it through both Disk Utilities, TechTool 5.0 as well as from the terminal. So far, nothing. Still can't get this maintenance update to install, and still have permissions issues with multiple users accessing the Shared folder VM. Never had these issues with 3.0.

9. robertdbrowniii

robertdbrowniii Junior Member

Same problem here as everyone describes.

10. robertdbrowniii

Maintenance Update/PDMU4021 still won't install

Even after running permissions and trying to install with Parallels shut down, the installer still does not work. Is there another location to download the installer?

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please let me know
    What is folder name for user in Finder - Mac HD - Users
    I mean do you have spaces in user folder name?
    And, I recommend to create ticket in support we can investigate situation more quickly
    http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/

12. robertdbrowniii

The folder name is robertbr.

I just now submitted a ticket.

Thanks.

13. oakbrook

oakbrook Bit poster

Resolved for me

Had same problem applying patch. Found that the update was looking for the Parallels application in the Applications folder. I had previously relocated the Parallels application into an Applications subfolder named "Parallels" which included the other Parallels utilities (Image Tool, etc). Evidently, the update doesn't like that.

Moved Parallels app back into the Applications folder and the update completed successfully.

Hope this helps.

14. STim

STim Bit poster

15. robertdbrowniii

You're a genius. That solved my installation failure problem, too.

16. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

Is this a new practice, releasing a new version without incrementing a build number? How do we know which version we're running now?

17. John@Parallels

Check build number and publish date
    If it is 23rd of January, it is the version 4 with update installed

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I had the update installed successfully (the About Parallels said 23 jan 2009) but decided to download the full installer instead and install, since I noticed the download name is different:

The previous one was:
    ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3810.237520.dmg

The current one is:
    ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3810.351321.dmg

Not only that, I decided to reinstall Parallels Tools on the Windows machines, and noticed the version of the drivers is also different.

With just the update the boot screen would refer the 4.0.3810.237520, now it says 4.0.3810.351321.

Seems like the update doesn't update as much as the full installer.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  19. John@Parallels

Thank you Specimen,
    I contacted devs to clarify situation

20. John@Parallels

Devs replied

Incremental update updates only specific files or components. For instance
    4.0.3810.35132 is a incremental update for 4.0.3810.237520. It updates only:
    * client application
    * updater