Parallels Tools "cd" mounts a blank CDR under Fedora?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by alonweinstein, Jul 21, 2009.

1. alonweinstein

alonweinstein Junior Member

Hello.

I installed the latest Fedora as a Linux client under Tiger. Whenever I try to install the Parallels Tools the "cd" is mounted as a blank CDR.

Anyone seeing the same problem?

Parallels Desktop 4.0.3844

Thanks,
    Alon

2. David Rowe

David Rowe Bit poster

Yes - me too (except I am running under Leopard).

When does Parallels start supporting the latest versions of popular Linux distros

3. alonweinstein

alonweinstein Junior Member

Sorry -- I'm also on Leopard, not Tiger.

4. Jonathan Culloty

Jonathan Culloty Bit poster

Yes, I had the same problem under Leopard. I manually mounted the cd with "mount -F..." and it worked fine, cant remember the exact command now but I found it in Google. Further down the line though the Parallel Tools install bombed out on me.

Is there any Linux distros that Parallel Tools works with out of the box?
    I've tried Suse, Fedora and Ubuntu without success.

5. RussellF

RussellF Bit poster

I had the same problem on Leopard. I went into the VM settings and changed the CD-ROM drive interface to SCSI and it now seems to work fine, although it does seem to get a bit confused about it's mount point if you try and swap ISOs on the fly.

6. AndrewJ

AndrewJ Bit poster

CD Mounts & Parallels Tools issues under Fedora

I have had no end of frustration trying to install Parallels Tools in Fedora 11 Linux under Leopard.

First I could not get the CD to mount. Finally I had a brainwave and using my mobile me account, transferred the CD image to my Linux VM (downloaded via FireFox), and was able to mount the CD image from the GUI interface.

Then I still couldn't run the installer because I couldn't find the path to the CD in the terminal session.

So I copied all the install files to a folder/directory that I could find in terminal, started the install and all was great until I got the component missing error message ("Please Install").

In my searches I found something that looked promising under the Troubleshooter help section on the Parallels site that looked to be exactly what I needed, although the Linux in that case was Debian:

Resolution
    Please execute the following commands in terminal window with root permissions to
    install packages required for kernel modules building:

uname -r

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) make gcc

In the second command uname -r should be substituted with an output of the first command.

When I ran this under Fedora I got the following error message: "apt-get: command not found"

Now I am here, wondering if anyone else has any ideas. I have no desire to become a Linux geek, but would like to be able to use it once in a while, and would like to be able to communicate between the Mac and the Linux VM, hence the need for the tools install.

7. RussellF

RussellF Bit poster

That command will only work in a Debian derived Linux (Debian or Ubuntu), whereas Fedora is derived from Red Hat and has a different package management system, called YUM. Replace apt-get with yum and you should be able to do it!

I can't try because I gave up trying this, but good luck.

8. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

Actually cd-rom should work flawlessly, but if you have any issues still, try to do the following:

1) Attach CD-ROM drive to VM (either physical or ISO)

2) Mount it inside Linux virtual machine:

mkdir /mnt/prltools
    mount -o loop /dev/cdromX /mnt/prltools

!Note: cdromX should be replaced with actual CD-ROM device - find it as

ls -l /dev | grep 'cdrom'
    3) Intall Parallels tools.

9. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

So on Red-Hat based OS it would be

yum install linux-headers-`uname -r`make gcc

And then proceed with installation