Screen size/resolution with Debian guest

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by hkoster1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

Installed Debian Squeeze with 2.6.30-amd64-1 kernel in a Parallels 4.0 VM (running under Mac OS X 10.6)
    without any problems this weekend, except for the virtual screen size being the wrong size and way too
    large. What's more, the proper screen size/resolution couldn't be set in System - Preferences - Display.

People in this forum have on various occasions suggested adding proper HorizSync, VertRefresh, Modeline,
    and "ReducedBlanking" entries to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to solve the problem. While all that complexity won't
    hurt, the actual solution turned out to be much simpler: the maximum bits/pixel (or Xorg Display Depth) in
    a Parallels VM is 16, not the more usual 24 (which VMware Fusion does allow, BTW). I don't know whether
    Parallels Tools improves on this situation, as it wouldn't compile on my system.

So, I added in /etc/X11/xorg.conf a SubSection in the Section "Screen" as follows
    where one of the Modes would work on one of my Macs. For good measure, I also added a
    line to the Section "Device", but Xorg is able to figure that out for itself as well.

The VESA defaults for the above resolutions all have the conservative 60Hz refresh rate that's unlikely
    to fry your monitor.

2. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

There's good news with the recent upgrade in Debian testing to X.Org X Server 1.6.3 (Release Date: 2009-7-31).
    Xorg (VESA) in a Parallels 4.0 VM now correctly handles the standard Apple screens with 16:10 aspect ratio:
    1920x1200, 1440x900, 1280x800, and without any /etc/X11/xorg.conf present. Refresh rates approx. 60Hz and
    Depth 32 (24).

3. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

Also you may try to automatcally configure X as follows:
    Or

Try generating autoconfig and the test it with X server:
    Note - this new xorg.conf will be generated in current directory, so after successful testing you will need to put it into /etc/X11/