Have many had success installing Windows 7 into Parallels 4

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kevinw, Oct 31, 2009.

1. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Just curious how many have had success installing Windows 7 (I'm going with Professional) into PD 4 (current ver. 4. 3848). Any suggestions or sage advice including "Don't do it"

2. Ken Pummill

Ken Pummill Bit poster

I have tried multiple times with no luck. Installs OK but while trying to install all my apps back it keeps hanging. VMWare 3.x has been better with W7 so far but also has issues. Its Microsoft remember. Rumor has it 5.0 is right around the corner. Hopefully it works better. Parallels kicks VMWare with WXP performance and is a much better product. Looks like they are just missing it with the emerging technologies.

3. JeffreyP

JeffreyP Junior Member

Hi Kevin,

I did not have any trouble installing Win7 in P4. Running it is another matter..
    I can not get shared profile to work and the .psf folders that parallels usually sets up are not accessible for some unknown reason. I can share a folder from the mac and then access it in win7 but the parallels integration there is gone.
    Also because i use a windows keyboard on my mac i have caps lock key defined as cmd key in settings but everytime i run an app in parallels it resets it to caps lock making it a pain to exit full screen mode.

Sorry for the dump, in short you can install it but in spite of the very long public beta of win 7 parallels 4 is not ready for it in a production environment. My guess is that they will provide full support in Parallels 5 and charge you for the functionality (vmware did the same thing and their win7 support is available now). so the only question is how long can you wait for parallels 5...?

Jeff

4. Zeos786

Zeos786 Junior Member

I'm new to Parallels and had no trouble. I have Win XP on Boot Camp (originally accessed via Fusion, but converted it to Parallels 4), and installed Win 7 Home Premium (Upgrade edition) as a Virtual Machine via Parallels 4. As soon as I have moved all of my programs and data over from my XP partition, I am going to delete the Bootcamp partition, XP, and Fusion.

5. KenK

KenK Bit poster

Yes, please! Someone who has been to the promised land, let us know what it took to get there!

I installed Win7 Pro on my 50GB bootcamp partition last week. It installed flawlessly and appears to work fine on my Mac Pro. It sees all 8 cores and 6GB of memory. Left 4 Dead works great on my 8800GT.

What I would *like* to do is allow my PD4 app to boot that partition and allow me to run my Win7 system with the alternate VM hardware. I realize L4D wont run smoothly if it all, but I'd be more interested in running Office or other non-DirectX apps when in this VM mode. I hope the activation thing isnt too confused.

I am about to do an Acronis backup on that partition and play around a bit myself.

6. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

I have run Parallels Desktop 4 on Snow Leopard (various beta then final build) along with Windows 7 (various beta, and then final build) for the most of the last *6* months. There have been some minor issues along the course, but I see *no* reason why you should refrain to use Windows 7 in a VM through Parallels Desktop 4. Unless you absolutely need Win 7 aero look features. Your Win7 will use the basic themes, without the "glass" effects. That's all there is to it.

7. simibill

simibill Bit poster

Nobody has installed Windows 7 ?

8. KenK

KenK Bit poster

Well for some reason I could not get Acronis to work, so I just bit the bullet and created the VM from my Win7 BootCamp partition. It was a clean Win7 install, so I didn't have much to lose. And...

Wow! Not a single problem! It looks like the task bar issue isn't even an issue anymore. Just for fun I tried to run L4D... it worked! Lighting is a little dark, but I was able to blow away a few zombies from inside the VM! I am running the VM on 1 CPU and 2GB of RAM. This is Win7 Pro 64-bit. I haven't booted into the bootcamp yet to see how jacked up it might have gotten, but so far, outstanding job Parallels Team! This is truly the best of both worlds! I'm not a big gamer (I have a PS3 besides) so rebooting into Bootcamp for the occasional L4D match isn't a biggie.

I am using a Mac Pro (8 core, but was originally a 4 core) with 6GB and OS X Snow Leopard. PD4 build 3848.

9. dpicot

dpicot Bit poster

No problem at all

I installed Win7 (clean install on a new VM) and it runs perfectly. I began by reinstalling SnowLeopard from scratch, as I always do this when a new OS is out. I mostly use Win7 for PocketPC reasons (MissingSync has its limits) and I had to deal with minor "bugs" in Windows (sometimes copy-paste between Mac and Win stops working, sometimes slower internet connection). Nothing that hasn't been solved by restarting the Mac. So, I don't see any reason not to install the "Vista-killer" :)

10. ForrestC

ForrestC Junior Member

I installed Windows 7 into parallels 4.0 on Monday with no issues. I then installed my programs and have had zero issues (outside of normal networking) all week. It is a good operating system.

11. RickaG

RickaG Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same problem with seeing files on the Mac that you are, Jeff. This is really strange because I was running the W7 release candidate under the previous release of Parallels with no problems. I had to disconnect all users from the shared folder to install Acrobat Pro and to update it, but the sharing settings are exactly the same as in the vm for the W7 release candidate and I still can't see anything on the Mac. Weirdly, my desktop shows up, with the aliases for the Parallels virtual machines.

12. DirkL

DirkL Bit poster

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit and Parallels 4 Build 4.0.3848

I recently installed an upgrade over Windows Vista Ultimate 32 Bit. Generally it works fine. However, I can't make the shared profile work so that I can access my Mac files via Windows. The .psf computer is not visible despite different attemps to change and reset settings accoringly. My Vista is still running and there it works. As I didn't find qualified solutions on the web I opened a ticket with Parallels.

Does anybody know the problem and in particular the solution to it?

Kind regards

from Dirk

13. Joe C

Joe C Bit poster

Windows 7 installed

There are a few issues. It runs fine for surfing. Its networking that fails. So far, I can not get to my files on my PC desktop. P4.0 changes the internet connection and does not register any wireless connections. It shows in the app trey as Ethernet connection. Odd, to say the least. The home group feature will not hook up because of this. I am disappointed. So if you're looking to network, it's a bust. Does anyone know how I go about getting help for this?

14. Michael Buchta

Michael Buchta Junior Member

I'm running pd 4 with one vm with xp and all my apps and data and another one with win 7 but without apps and data (only firefox is installed). I'm too lacy to install all apps manualy so am waiting for pd 5 and hope this will do this. I can run both vm at the same time and switch from xp to win 7 and to snow leo without troubles.

15. TapisVolant

TapisVolant Junior Member

I installed windows 7 yesterday on my imac under snow leopard. And now i cannot access my .psf files with Quickbooks, although I don't have problem with Quicken. Weird.

16. ForrestC

ForrestC Junior Member

My networking issues revolved around accessing my iomega home media network storage drive. I finally got it to work but had to change the parallels to bridged instead of shared. I have no issues with the VM accessing my mac .psf or visa versa.

17. JeffreyP

JeffreyP Junior Member

@RickaG exactly what i had, the desktop was the only item that showed up although the other mac folders did have $Recycle.bin items. My win7RC1 also worked flawlessly.
    I have found a (less than ideal) workaround. I changed my network adapter in the VM config from "shared" to "bridged" and now at least under "My computer" in win 7 i can see all available shares on my network and i can access them. the shared profile still does not work and .psf is also still not working but i can at least get stuff done now.

JP

18. RickaG

RickaG Bit poster

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had this problem and just solved it. From within your Windows 7 VM, go to control panel>add or remove programs. Remove the Parallels Tools. The VM will restart and you'll get a bunch of complaints about no network adapters, etc. Close all of those and go to the Parallels Virtual Machine menu and reinstall the Parallels Tools. When I did that and let the virtual machine restart again, my Mac files all showed up.