Bridged Network not working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Frank Bestin, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Frank Bestin

Frank Bestin Bit poster

I have Snow Leopard as the host and Windows XP SP3 as the guest. "Shared" networking is fine. "Bridged" networking has 4 options:

Deafult
    Ethernet
    vnic0
    vnic1

I only have ethernet on my Mac. I've tried both Default and Ethernet, and Windows seems to get an IP from my router (I can see in the router that the VM has gotten an IP, with the MAC address specified in Parallels configuration). However, I can't get anywhere. When I try to go to a site, it says "waiting for www.google.com" then gives me the failure message. One thing to note is that if it's not connected period, then the browser would say "looking up www.google.com" and then fail. Also, if I use vnic0 in Bridged, it gets a virtual subnet and connects to the internet just fine.

Thank you for any help in advance.

2. Frank Bestin

Frank Bestin Bit poster

A little more information:

I have to have bridged networking because I need other machines on my network to access this guest OS.
    I have since realized that bridged networking over vnic0 is the same as shared networking.
    If I use the actual host OS's ethernet MAC address in the bridged network in the guest OS, the guest OS has internet, but obviously kills the host OS.

Thank you.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please post here or via private message the output of "ipconfig /all" from Windows side (screenshot is ok, but please make sure that all output fits) and "ifconfig -a" from Mac OS side.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Ok, I've received the message with outputs.

All seems to be ok with Parallels, it looks like you need to try to tune the router somehow, I can't say though what the option is. Router should be tuned to allow more then one MAC-address per port. May be some routers don't allow this at all.

5. Frank Bestin

Frank Bestin Bit poster

The Guest OS is able to get an IP via DHCP from my router though. I checked the router and it shows both MAC addresses (Mac and XP), each with its own IP. One other thing to note is that if I switch the networking to shared, then back to bridged over ethernet, it can't seem to get an IP via DHCP any more. So wondering if there is anything special during the boot process of a guest OS that allowed it to get an IP, then cut off. Any ideas?

6. Richard Carl

Richard Carl Bit poster

Also having trouble with bridged networking

Hi,

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard last night and the bridged networking has stopped working. Prior to last night I was using Parallels 5 on Leopard with an Ubuntu VM and bridged networking worked fine. Shared networking works ok but I ultimately need bridged networking for my job. Not sure what to try next...

thanks much

Rick

7. Frank Bestin

Frank Bestin Bit poster

No luck here. Eric tried, but provided very basic diagnostic help, which I've already all tried and gone quite a bit beyond. I noticed the arp tables on the Windows XP guest not being able to find a route to the gateway (192.168.0.1). I manually added an arp entry, no luck. I'm suspecting Snow Leopard turning off bridging too. I tried to enable promiscuous mode on the en0 interface in SL, the ifconfig command won't even support the flag. I downloaded a compiled binary of ifconfig that supports it, still no luck. I even tried VMWare. Same result. At this point, I think I'll have to start considering dual boot. Argh...

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Frank,

You can try unofficial Parallels Flags. They are present in Parallels Desktop 5.0.9308 and there could be issues with Parallels desktop 4.0 or previous builds of Parallels Desktop. It is not guaranteed to work and complicated, but here are them:

open config.pvs of the virtual machine (located inside .pvm-bundle of Virtual Machine) in TextEdit
    find the segment in .xml code: <NetworkAdapter>
    and input next options:
    <NetworkAdapter>
    <ForceHostMacAddress>1</ForceHostMacAddress>
    <DHCPUseHostMac>0</DHCPUseHostMac>
    </NetworkAdapter>

if the problem still persist after this then try to enable both options:

<NetworkAdapter>
    <ForceHostMacAddress>1</ForceHostMacAddress>
    <DHCPUseHostMac>1</DHCPUseHostMac>
    </NetworkAdapter>

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. Shawn Joseph

Shawn Joseph Bit poster

Thanks Elric! I enabled your suggestion above it and worked for a Win7 host! I tried just enabling the 1st option, but I ended up having to enable both options to make it work.

10. Shawn Joseph

Shawn Joseph Bit poster

This worked great for my Windows 7 VM (enabling both options). However when I tried to duplicate this with my Ubuntu 9.10 VM I get the same error as before when trying to use bridged networking. Are there any other options in the pvm file that can be added which will make Ubuntu work with bridged networking?

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

This may do the trick: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/index.htm

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team