Bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by jesse111, May 23, 2010.

1. jesse111

jesse111 Bit poster

If I install Parallels 5.0 on a Bootcamp parition, will changes I make when using Vista through the VM be the same if I were to boot using the native windows through Bootcamp?

In other words can I use Windows through Parallels or Bootcamp interchangeably and expect to see the same document changes and such? I’m hoping I can either boot using Bootcamp or Parallels and make changes seamlessly.

2. kvandenbroek

kvandenbroek Junior Member

Yes. Any changes you make while in Windows using Boot Camp will be in force when you use Windows though Parallels.

3. jesse111

jesse111 Bit poster

Thanks. So will changes made in Parallels also be in force in Bootcamp?

4. jesse111

jesse111 Bit poster

So will changes made while in Parallels also be in force in Bootcamp?

5. kvandenbroek

Yes, they will because the preferences used while in Bootcamp and the same as those used by the virtual machine.

6. jesse111

jesse111 Bit poster

Thanks for the responses!

I have one more question that I've never been able to find a clear answer on. Perhaps you can help me.

Is there any real performance disadvantage using a Bootcamp partition? Is Parallels designed to perform at it's best when installed without Bootcamp?

7. kvandenbroek

That was what I was researching when I came across this thread. Unfortunately I still don't know the answer.

I ended up installing Boot Camp because if I ever have a problem with Parallels, I will still have access to my Windows applications and data via Boot Camp.

8. jesse111

jesse111 Bit poster

That is a good reason to use bootcamp. I don't think any performance loss would be too noticeable especially since I don't use heavy recourse apps. Just a few Windows only small apps.

9. TimothyP

TimothyP Junior Member

Jesse, I just posted this same question on this forum, but in one of the other sections and I've yet to get any reply. I'm new to Parallels, the MacBook, and Bootcamp, so perhaps you (or someone else) can answer one of my questions. Is it true that Parallels can be loaded either on Mac OS without a bootcamp partition (and therefore Windows 7 would be on a virtual drive) OR on Mac OS with a bootcamp partition, one partition containing Windows 7. If the latter configuration is used, is the Windows 7 virtual drive and the bootcamp partitioned Windows 7 hard drive one and the same? In other words, with the latter configuration you have the option of either booting up in Mac OS and using Parallels as one would normally do to run Windows 7, OR you can boot up directly into Windows 7 on the Windows partition? If this is true, it appears from what you've discussed above that using a "direct boot" into Windows via the partition OR using Windows via Parallels after booting to Mac OS will both result in documents, setting changes, etc being saved and accessible from Windows within Parallels AND Windows via a direct boot. Is this correct?

I also wondered if there is a performance benefit in one configuration over the other (using Bootcamp versus not). I do occasionally run software that can use quite a bit of memory, so I'm wondering which configuration would result in better performance.