Ubuntu 11.04 support for Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by BenBecker, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Your link tells me that there is a Desktop for Mac build 6.0.12090 which can solve my issues with your product.
    However, when I hit the update button, my installation (Build 6.0.11994) tells me that I am using the newest version.
    Which of these two contradictory information is true?

Thanks!

2. spawnflagger

spawnflagger Junior Member

I had the same issue as ZeppoM - choosing update from the menu didn't work. You can download it from the website though, it's about 220MB. (you need to register if you haven't already). The .dmg has an executable installer you double click on, and it just overwrites the old app.

Once installed, I booted my previously created Ubuntu 11 VM (was just using Classic mode), and installed the Parallels Tools - no errors. After rebooting, everything worked as expected.

----
    Also note, if you want the fancy features of the new gnome, you should enable 3D acceleration (Virtual Machine menu, Configure, Video). You can check if it's on by going to a shell and typing:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
    glxinfo | less

(scroll through the output, q to quit less)
    if the vendor is software, mesa, sgi, then 3D is not on. If it's parallels & nvidia, then it's on.
    ----

lastly, if you were using Ubuntu Classic environment before, it might keep your old desktop settings. To "reset" your gnome settings, move or delete your hidden ~/.gnome2 folder. At the login screen, press Ctrl-Alt-F1 (may need to hold fn too, so it's not adjusting brightness) - this takes you to a text-only login prompt, login then run

mv .gnome2 backup-of-.gnome2

then exit and press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to the GUI login screen. Click or type your username, but before putting password, Change session type from Ubuntu Classic to Ubuntu.

3. Thanks spawnflagger!
    I was able to download the update from the webpage and am installing a new Ubuntu VM as I write this. I still don't know if 11.04 is really fully supported but, having seen it works for you, I take for granted it will work for me as well.
    Also - many thanks for your tips!
    Z.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  4. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

FYI: This update also allows Parallels Tools to also be installed on Mint 11 and Fedora 15.

5. Funny, although I have 256MB GPU memory, 3D turned on and Ubuntu as environment (not Ubuntu Classic) I still have no Unity. And no other signs of accelerated graphic.

Any ideas?

6. spawnflagger

What is the output of `glxinfo | grep vendor` ?

In Parallels, under the Virtual Machine menu, does it have an item Install Parallels Tools or is it Reinstall Parallels Tools ?

After installing Parallels tools (cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/ ; ./install), did you reboot your VM ?

Did you try moving the .gnome2 folder like I mentioned?

7. server glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project

Reinstall Parallels Tools. First thing I did was to reinstall. I thought there might be a glitch with an graphics driver. Also, if I look into "Additional Drivers" I have parallels toolgate driver active and in use.

Several times. Tried going to Gnome Classic and than back.

Yup. No changes.

BTW: many thanks for your help!

EDIT: OK, I've got it! Since I did a complete new installation of Natty, after update of PT6, it didn't have any saved configurations of Gnome. I reinstalled Parallels Tools twice. I followed your advice and failed. I wrote my post here telling you the status. I didn't know what else to do.
    In the meantime I started to play with Gnome 3. I copied my Natty install and installed Gnome 3 there. After the restart I had Ubuntu Classic and the message "your system is apparently not equipped for Gnome 3. Accelerated graphics might be missing" or some such. And I knew I have PT installed! But I always did an upgrade. So, I uninstalled PT and, after a reboot, installed them again. Rebooted and - voila! I had Gnome 3 up and running!
    So, I went back to my original Natty VM, uninstalled the PT there as well, rebooted, installed PT, rebooted and I had Unity up and running.

So, now all is fine. Go figure!

THX anyway!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2011
  8. spawnflagger

good to hear it worked eventually.

9. Durbrow

Durbrow Bit poster

Latest Parallels update does not allow Tools to but installed in Ubuntu 11.04

When I get to the right directory and install Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 11.04 using the very latest (6/2) update I get:

Unknown terminal: screen-bce
    Check TERM environment variable….

Has anyone successfully re-installed Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 11.04 using the new Parallels update? Thanks for any info.

P.S. Is it because the Terminal app in Ubuntu has changed?

10. spawnflagger

Try to do this in your Terminal (case sensitive, no spaces between = sign):
    export TERM=xterm
    cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/
    sudo ./install

Also, not sure if you are running screen on purpose, or if your shortcut is automatically starting screen, but you can exit by leaving all your shells, or detaching with Ctrl+A,d. (screen is not that useful for running parallels tools installer, cause you have to restart immediately afterwards, and since it's a VM you have access to a real console, so losing a network connection is not relevant.)

If that doesn't work, logout then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a console, and run the Parallels installer from there instead of from Terminal within Gnome.

11. Well, I could uninstall, install new or simply upgrade Parallels Tools out of the standard Terminal application with no issues at all. Did you start the install outside of the PT folder? Have you used the "sudo" option before calling the installation script? You need to have the root (owner and administrator) privileges in order to do the install.

12. Durbrow

Durbrow Bit poster

Thank you! This works. Hurray! P.S. I can NOW get Unity in this Parallels update.

13. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

14. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

Just wanted to mention that all works fine with latest PD update, I could install PT into my 11.04 without having to do any tweaks, unity is starting by itself, I don't dislike it so far so i'll give it a try, i did spawnflager tips and I do have 3D enabled, just have to see / know what are the "the fancy features of the new gnome" (or is unity not the "new gnome" ?)

Anyway, I mainly wanted PT to avoid trapping the mouse into the ubuntu window and not to have to press the ctrl-alt all the time, so I'm happy enough :)

15. VintageGeek

VintageGeek Member

Installed the new update to Parallels, installed Ubuntu 11.04 and ran parallels Tools and the Ubuntu Unity environment runs great. One thing about getting Parallels Tools to run: When you double click on the install icon and select run in terminal I couldn't cd to 'Parallels Tools'. But when I selected Open Terminal from the upper left corner menu it open a new terminal window and dropped me right at the Parallels Tools directory. Then sudo ./install ran fine. So far so good.

16. Durbrow

Durbrow Bit poster

Slightly off topic: Unity in Parallels VM bad or is it just Unity

Okay with the new Parallels update and some help from above I am able to not only run Ubuntu 11 but also Unity. The thing is that Unity is not very attractive and I've gone back to the classic view. Can someone tell me if Unity is just normally in low rez and not very elegant or is it my Parallels set up….

17. baf1

baf1 Bit poster

I don't think it's supposed to be this way, but mine is all messed up too. There is a gap between the Unity bar and the Desktop where the screen will not clear...I can leave traces of windows and menus that were open stay there, but it's really pretty ugly. It's like it's not redrawing properly or at all. Same thing happens in Fedora 15 under Gnome 3. I've included some screencaps to show:

Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity:
    Ubuntu Screencap

Fedora 15:
    Fedora 15 Screencap

I've upgraded to Parallels 6.0.12090 and have installed Parallels Tools through it, yet it still isn't working properly...the actual underlying operating system seems to be functional, however.

18. mac-addict1982

mac-addict1982 Junior Member

Thanks, Parallels guys for the update :) However, I also get the mentioned artefacts on Fedora 15 and Unity. And Gnome 3 does not run in 3D-mode, but in the fallback mode.

Maybe we should open another threat for that...

19. VintageGeek

VintageGeek Member

What Display Resolution are you running? It looks like its a really high resolution. Mine works really nice at 1280x800.

20. VintageGeek

VintageGeek Member

The UI seems clunky to me. Too much effort to find the APP you want to run unless you save it in Launchbar. I have yet to setup the Unity One experience with the All-In-One experience for Docs, Music, Video, Mail etc. Trying that this weekend. one.ubuntu.com