Ubuntu 11.10

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JEarles, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Hi folks,

I thought I would add a thread to record peoples experiences with Parallels and the newly released Ubuntu 11.10.

I am running Parallels 7.0.14924 and installed using ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.

As I installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu I had to create a symbolic link for /usr/lib64 (pointing to /usr/lib) before installing Parallels Tools. Without this link the detect-xserver.sh script could not locate my X.Org server configuration directory. I assume this change would not be required with the 32-bit version.

2. timjohnson

timjohnson Bit poster

How is 11.10 so far? I'm holding off on updating for now until I'm sure it's running smoothly through Parallels.

3. Simon Waddington

Simon Waddington Member

Well it was too much to ask that it work perfectly out of the box but given my experience with the last three Ubuntu upgrades I'm pleasantly surprised that I can at least boot this time without waiting several weeks for an update of Parallels.

I strongly advise you do a snapshot before you start the upgrade - that way you can easily roll back if you get into issues.

At the moment I'm on Parallels 6.0 with the latest updates but I can't get the Parallels tools to install. I'm wondering if I should have uninstalled them first before the update but I rather think that wont help. So in my /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log I'm seeing this error trying compile so of the tool code:

So far I have not found any solution for this but I'm working on it. Other than that the first 20 minutes seem okay...

EDIT: Seems to be info on an earlier patch here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=112611 I'm not going to try it because I'm worried it is too old, might break my somewhat stable system (although I guess I could snapshot...)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. Simon Waddington

Simon Waddington Member

Patch worked a charm

Okay, I got impatient so I did a snapshot and followed the instruction on the post I linked.

The only things I needed to different was give myself write permissions to the files I was patching. If you're editing as root that wont be a problem. I also had to rebuild the archive that your originally exploded in the kmods directory, otherwise the install script just uses the unpatched code from the archive.

So I would suggest this:

10 1/2)

cd <work directory>/parallels\ tools/kmods
    mv prl_mod.tar.gz ..
    tar cvf prl_mod.tar.gz .

I did not have to do anything with gnome packages using Unity so scratch steps 12) onwards.

Also after running the install it did its thing for a bit then closed the window session sending me back to the login prompt. At that point I rebooted.

I hope this helps!

5. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Tim, so far... it's looking good with Parallels 7. I was concerned as I had a lot of Unity crashes with both Beta 1 and Beta 2, but no issues so far. As an added bonus my sound works, which I was having problems with in 11.04.

Thanks for the report, Simon! I am glad my old patch still seems to work with the updates that Parallels have since made to version 6. I am disappointed that they have not since patched Linux 3.0 support officially, since it works great in Parallels 7. I guess they have to keep a few features exclusive to get the average user to update.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  6. _mattelkins

_mattelkins Bit poster

I've updated from 11.04 to 11.10 in Parallels 6. The update went smoothly, but, after rebooting, I only get to the Ubuntu boot screen before it halts... so I'd suggest not updating yet if you're running Parallels 6! Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

7. tchoklat

tchoklat Bit poster

I have got 11.10 upgraded under parallels on Lion but I cannot install parallels tools.

8. mac-addict1982

mac-addict1982 Junior Member

I also installed the Ubuntu 11.10 64bit-version. With your hint on the symlink, the PD-tools installed without any problems :) I am rather positively surprised that the current PD 7 does support Ubuntu 11.10 without an update...

9. Simon Waddington

Simon Waddington Member

I was really happy with Ubuntu 11.10/Parallels 6.0/Snow Leopard until I hooked up my 30" monitor at work...

Unfortunately it doesn't want to do 2560x1600 resolution, 1920x1200 is the max it shows (and if you saw my previous posts you'll see I have the Parallel's tools installed).

I haven't found anything in /var/log/dmesg to indicate a problem and the parallels.log seems to be clean after a reboot.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: removed comment that 2560x1600 worked after the update but before Parallels Tools install - it didn't. I've currently reverted to U 11.04 since I really need the high res support.

10. tchoklat

tchoklat Bit poster

Can I get a guide on where to go now as I have installed 11.10 on parallels 7 and Lion. How do I get Tools installed?

regards

Tony

11. DidierP

DidierP Bit poster

Hi,

I installed it yesterday and for me it works like 11.04. I have some performance problems with Unity: moving a window, scrolling a web page in firefox, everything is really slow. When i call ubuntu mission control (OSX Spaces clone), everything is smooth. There's something crazy. The host is an iMac 27 under Snow Leopard (i7, 8Go de RAM and ATI 4850 GPU) and i don't have this problem with Fedora 15/Gnome Shell which run really fine. Maybe it's compiz related, but with 10.04 (and PD6) everything worked like a charm.

Didier

12. tchoklat

tchoklat Bit poster

I got tools installed though cannot get coherence running like windows 7. Any guidance appreciated?

Tony

13. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Unfortunately, Coherence does work when Visual Effects are on. With 11.04 you could start in "fallback" mode (basically Gnome 2) and that allowed Coherence to work. By default 11.10 only has support for 3D and 2D Unity. If you try to start Coherence in 3D mode it will complain about Visual Effects.

If you switch to 2D mode on log in then Parallels will switch into Coherence, but it does not appear to work properly.

You can install 'gnome-session-fallback' using:

After this finishes log out, and you will be able to choose 'Gnome Classic' or 'Gnome Classic (no effects)' when logging in next. Either of these modes will allow Coherence to work.

14. Pbryanw

Pbryanw Junior Member

For Ubuntu newbies like me, the command I used was:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64

After this I successfully installed Parallel Tools on Ubuntu 11.10 x64. Seeing that the current tools work well with 11.10, I think it augers well for a quick release of the official tools for 11.10.

15. bradjpeek

bradjpeek Bit poster

Disappearing cursor after 11.10 plus tools update

Okay, here is my experience...

I am on Parallels Desktop 7 and did not have any version of Linux installed.

Before installing Ubuntu I noticed that an update to Parallels was available so I applied the "Build 7.0.14924 (Revision 699487; October 3, 2011)" update.

I used the included wizard to install Ubuntu 11.04 and then the Parallels tools.

That worked fine, although I decided to immediately upgrade to 11.10 so I can't say I tried much while on 11.04.

After the upgrade to 11.10 I got a message at the bottom of the parallels desktop window saying that the tools were out of date so I updated them (again) and rebooted.

After rebooting, whenever I click inside the parallels Ubuntu desktop (doesn't matter where) the cursor disappears.

My assumption is that the tools update is somehow not compatible with the 11.10 packages, but it surprises me that no one else on this thread seems to have had the same issue.

If I switch to another Mac desktop and then switch back I am able to once again see the mouse cursor but as soon as I click on something (which actually does work) the cursor disappears again.

Based on the steps I described, does anyone have any other theories for why my cursor is not working?

16. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Brad,

You could check the Parallels log files to see if they report any issues.

The files are located in /var/log:

parallels-tools-install.log
    parallels.log

17. tchoklat

tchoklat Bit poster

Gnome Classic works, though I get a big black header and footer in coherence mode which I didn't get with 11.04. I do not have the widgets to slide the bar left or right.

Tony

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  18. MaSc

MaSc Member

I can confirm this, I'm seeing the very same strange issue.
    3d acceleration seems to work properly in workspace switcher only.

I sent a problem report about this.

19. JosephY

JosephY Bit poster

Same problem with the mouse cursor disappearing in Ubuntu 10.10 and Parallels tools 7.0.14924.699487

20. MaSc

MaSc Member

I could resolve this by entirely removing and reinstalling parallels tools (also make sure the /usr/lib64 symlink mentioned above does exist if it's a 64bit system)