Ubuntu 11.10

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JEarles, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JosephY

JosephY Bit poster

Thanks, Yep using the symlink trick above works. =)

On a side note, sometimes when I mount the parallels tools image, the image gets corrupted.

2. daohoangson

daohoangson Bit poster

Ubuntu 11.10 Server 64bit?

Anyone tried to install Ubuntu 11.10 Server 64bit with Parallels Desktop for Mac? I'm currently on version 6 and the installer stopped after the network detecting step. Thinking about going up to version 7 but the problem is: will it work?

Thanks.

3. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

I just ran through an install of ubuntu-11.10-server-amd64.iso using Parallels 7.0.14924 on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro. Everything went well during the install.

Before installing Parallels Tools you might want to create a symbolic link for /usr/lib64. If you are going to stay command line, I don't think this will matter. The Parallels Tools installer looks for Xorg config under /usr/lib64 on a 64-bit distro, so if you later install Xorg then re-install Parallels Tools so that it can properly configure it.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64

I also had to mount the cdrom device manually (with the exec option) to be able to install Parallels Tools.

sudo mount -t iso9660 -o exec /dev/cdrw /media/cdrom

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. KookieM

KookieM Bit poster

Yes, the symlink trick works for me too. I have Parallels Desktop 7 build 7.0.14924 with Ubuntu 11.10 x64, on MBP early 2011. I don't get image corruption however.

Someone should either tack this thread as a solution, or someone at Parallels should put that in their Knowledge Base. I don't think a fix for this from Parallels would come out anytime soon, though. I still wouldn't say this install of Parallels Tools is 100% supporting Ubuntu 11.10 just yet, but to just get PT to install and working.

Spread the word I guess.

5. DmitryZ

DmitryZ Bit poster

Parallels Tools installation error

I managed to install Ubuntu 11.10 onto the latest PD7.

However, I'm unable to install Parallels Tools. I receive the following error message from the installer GUI:

"An error occurred when downloading required components for Parallels Tools installation.
    - make
    - kernel sources
    Install these components and try again"

I have the latest "make" installed. I reinstalled it again.
    And what is the "kernel sources" which is missing?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  6. orlandm

orlandm Bit poster

Problem installing ubuntu on parallels 6

Hey guys,
    I am very much noob:)

I'm trying to install ubuntu 11.10 (64 or 32 bit both have the same problem) on Parallels 6. When I go to install I use the .iso file and then run it and start configuring the install. On the screen after the one which tells you the three things you should check before installation (like comp plugged in and such) it says that there is no detected operating system currently installed and that my options are: 1. erasing disk and installing ubuntu. 2. something else (creating partitions myeslf).

I've seen some tutorial video on youtube and they've have 3 options (the one I want is not present on my computer).
    I am using a macbook pro with OS X 10.6.8 with Snow Leopard and the parallels already has WIN7 installed on it.

Am I doing anything wrong? What should I do to install and just create a 10 gig partition for ubuntu?

Thanks for the help. If you could please be specific with no shortcuts that would be greatly appreciated:)

Matan

7. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Matan,

As you are creating a new Ubuntu VM there will be no other OS present. You can safely choose "Erase disk and install Ubuntu". Your new VM has no knowledge of your WIN7 VM (they are separate).

NOTE: You may encounter problems installing Parallels Tools once you have Ubuntu 11.10 installed as (I don't think) Parallels 6 supports Linux 3.0 as of yet.

8. orlandm

orlandm Bit poster

Thanks!

What I was afraid of was deleting my entire disk (meaning deleting everything I have on my OS X). Will it just create it's own partition that is not the size of the entire disk?

Matan

9. orlandm

orlandm Bit poster

Nevermind! Tried it and it worked perfectly...
    Thanks again!

10. jbaugh

jbaugh Junior Member

Same problem here. It seems to be a permissions problem. I've tried using sudo in Terminal. But after the password prompt nothing happens. How do you log on as root? Maybe this would be a solution.
    John

11. jbaugh

jbaugh Junior Member

Same problem here. It seems to be a permissions problem. "Error: you do not have permissions to run this script."
    When I try to install through Terminal using instructions on another forum post I can get to the password prompt but nothing happens after entering the password.
    John