Lost Line In Mic on Parallels 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EdselK, Sep 1, 2011.

1. EdselK

EdselK Bit poster

I was running Parallels 6 with Win 7 for my EMR and Dragon 10.1 Medical without any problems. I upgraded to Parallels 7 today and have lost my line-in mic on the Windows side. The error message is "The audio device listed below is required by the speech files for "***". Microphone (Parallels Audio Con).

I have tried uninstalling the audio controller through the device manager and reinstalling this but this hasn't helped. This is a huge problem. I need to have this fixed right away in order to work.

2. EdselK

EdselK Bit poster

Works when I rollback to 6

I downloaded Parallels 6 and everything works fine again. This is an obvious issue.

3. TorstenR

TorstenR Bit poster

Any solution yet?

I had exactly the same problem and made the downgrade, too. I am pretty sure I will never again be an early adaptor for Parallels upgrades, anyway.

But is anybody out there knowing if there is or will be any solution for this problem?

4. EdselK

EdselK Bit poster

Worst Customer Service Ever!

The worst customer service ever. Never even read my questions or the screen shots. Never called me when they asked me to give them a time to be available. I spent way too much time trying to handle this. I'll probably wait for Parallels 8 at this point.

5. MikeBP

MikeBP Bit poster

I concur with EdselK. I, too, went through the support channels to get help with this. Not only is the removal of the Mic port a major pain, the lack of support was really frustrating. I, too, included screenshots, explained it multiple times, had probably 4 different people handle the issue each time I replied. They seemed more interested is asking you to score them high on the support ticket rather than answer the question.

Could we please get someone from Parallels to a) confirm this Mic port was removed, and b) indicate if it will be returned? I cannot use Microsoft's Live Meeting anymore in Parallels 7 due this. Sure, the LineIn port works great, but Live Meeting (and other apps too) do not allow you to use the LineIn port, and when it sees an absence of the Mic port, it claims no audio device can be found.

I, too, had to downgrade to Parallels 6. Not impressed.

1 vote for the Mic to be added please to Parallels 7...!

6. AllanRT

AllanRT Bit poster

Workaround

Hi all,
    I also have had this issue and thought I'd share the results so far. After some significant period of troubleshooting with the Parallels guys, the conclusion from them is this:

"Since Parallels Desktop 7, there is only Line-in device in Windows sound settings and it is normal behavior."

i.e. they are aware that this is the case. They have escalated this now to the dev team, but presumably someone, somewhere has decided that this is the right thing to do, so I'm not sure I'd hold out on a fix anytime soon.

There does appear to be, however, a viable workaround for those of us on Parallels 7 - I have verified this with MS Live Meeting at least (which would not work before as no Mic device was present). If you change the app launcher properties to run in WinXP compatibility mode, Live Meeting allows the "Line In" device to provide microphone input and therefore works.

I can't speak for what mileage you'll have with Audacity or other apps for Microphone input though.

As far as I can work out, Parallels need folks to raise this via support in order to keep the priority high and force a fix, so please raise it! I suggest though that you reference this thread (at least) so as to save time - I have gone through multiple hours of investigations from them to conclude that it was supposed to not be showing up.

Allan.

7. WolfgangT

WolfgangT Bit poster

A USB headset fixes that issue

Hi,

although I would like to have this mic issue fixed by parallels too, there is a simple work around.

Use a USB headset and LiveMeeting will show a mic again.

Hope that helps at least until PARALLELS FIXES THAT STUPID BUG!!!!!!

Best
    Wolfgang

8. WolfgangT

WolfgangT Bit poster

Fixed!!!!

Hi,

I finally got a call from the Parallels support and we could fix the problem. The trick is to run the LiveMeeting in the Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode. Unfortunately, this is not available for all Windows 7 editions. I think it's not available for the Home edition.

Here is how it works:

1. right click on the LiveMeeting icon and select properties
    2. choose the compatibility tap
    3. enable the compatibility mode and choose Windows XP (SP3)
    4. press ok and start LiveMeeting.

Live meeting will again use the line in as a source for the microphone ;).

Hope that helps al of you struggling with the same issue.

Best,
    Wolfgang

9. brmovem

brmovem Member

Hello Wolfgang!

Also you can use Windows XP Mode just in Enterprise, Ultimate and Professional editions of Win 7.

Thank you for your little manual.

10. kravi6

kravi6 Bit poster

never more !

Hi all,
    as Torsten said, " I had exactly the same problem and made the downgrade, too. I am pretty sure I will never again be an early adaptor for Parallels upgrades, anyway. "
    I see you found a solution, but as I'm French, I couldn't find what you call the "LiveMeeting in the Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode". Could you explain me where and how to find it ?
    I'm working on a windows XP home edition : is it ok ?
    Thanks for answering.