Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CatherineG, Jan 29, 2012.

1. CatherineG

CatherineG Bit poster

Hi,
    I am running OS 10.6.8. I have had boot camp set up for a couple of months. I have just purchased and downloaded the latest Parallels.

In the set up of the Parallels programme, it offers the option to use windows from bootcamp - but when i try this i get the following error:

Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.
    A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR (0x80021014)
    Path: '/Users/catherinegoughbrady/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/TOSHIBA MK3255GSXF (disk0).hdd'

Can you please help me with a solution to this error?

Thanks,
    Catherine

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Try to re-create Boot Camp configuration file. Rename old Boot Camp configuration file with the following Terminal command.
    Open Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal and execute the following command:

mv "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/BootcampConfigurator"
    "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/BootcampConfigurator.old"

2. Restart your Mac and check the issue.

3. eurisko

eurisko Bit poster

It's about time you fixed your software

Rather than your customers looking up the problem, trying to find a solution, doing a 'Terminal' fix don't you think it's about time you fixed your software?

This is ridiculous. I do freelance support for a company and I hit this bug.

It costs me (not you) money in my time that I spend looking for solutions that you should fix.

4. eurisko

eurisko Bit poster

File doesn't exist

The file reported in the reply doesn't exist. So now what do I do?

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

eurisko,
    Please send the Problem report from Help menu > Report a Problem and post report ID here - we would try to find out what is the root of the issue.

6. MarmotteFarcie

MarmotteFarcie Bit poster

Hello, in the same way, I have this disk acces error message :

PRL_ERR_DISK_WRITE_FAILED (80021027), errno=22 (Invalid argument).

with OS 10.7.3 and bootcamp partition with windows seven 64 bits
    What can I do ?

7. KarlK4AmyH

KarlK4AmyH Bit poster

And here's yet another customer experiencing this MOST unfortunate glitch, attempting what is supposedly the primary function of the product (i.e. use of an in-place Boot Camp instance).

Here's the text of my specific error (w/ a screenshot included below)...

My configuration:
    diskutil list results (a bit garbled, owing to a dearth of text formatting options):
    I'll continue looking for a resolution, but thought I'd throw my experience into this thread, to add another voice to the seemingly growing chorus.

[​IMG]

8. KarlK4AmyH

KarlK4AmyH Bit poster

FYI... My 'Report ID' associated with this issue, as documented above, is: 13076557.

9. KarlK4AmyH

KarlK4AmyH Bit poster

Support Request submitted

p.s. I've now also submitted a support request associated with this issue:

#1329332: Fails to create VM for Win7 Boot Camp

10. MarmotteFarcie

I've tested VMWare Evaluation software and it works correctly with my bootcamp partition. The only problem is that I've bought Parallel Desktops and don't want to buy VMWare now.

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

12. YanaYana

YanaYana

MarmotteFarcie,
    Your issue is also different than in initial post.
    you have harddrive IO (input output) error: plese refer to thik kb http://kb.parallels.com/en/112140

13. KarlK4AmyH

KarlK4AmyH Bit poster

A couple items... (1) the referenced KB link directs the user to a guide for older versions of both Boot Camp and Mac OS X*; and (2) my Boot Camp was installed explicitly according to the instructions in the current Boot Camp 4.0 setup guide, resulting in a working Boot Camp install for Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Basically, I'm unclear on how following the same instructions a 2nd time, given the 1st pass produced a working Boot Camp install, albeit one that Parallels, alone, is taking issue with, will produce different results. (It's not like Apple's Boot Camp is all that forgiving regarding configuration.)

Is there nothing that can be done to be more certain as to exactly what about my configuration Parallels dislikes? Given how much time was invested in getting the Boot Camp partition, and associated applications working, I'd like to see what diagnostics are possible before throwing out all that work on the, underscored, hope that a redo will make Parallels happy.

Thanks very much for your response; of course. And thanks, in advance, for any additional insight you might be able to offer on my dilemma.

Desperately Seeking Solution...
    KarlK

* The following Apple page includes links to the Boot Camp documentation for each supported version of Mac OS X: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461 (see bullet #2 under 'Before installing Boot Camp')

14. KarlK4AmyH

KarlK4AmyH Bit poster

resolved... used 'gptsync' to correct the GPT/MBR conflict

Simple enough fix (YMMV), and far short of a reset and reinstall of my Boot Camp install.

Presuming the GPT and MBR tables were out-of-sync, I burned the latest rEFIt image to a USB stick, booted from it, and ran 'gptsync' from the EFI shell. gptsync recognized that the tables were slightly misaligned, prompted to adjust the MBR, and did so on my confirmation.

After a reboot, Parallels was able to initialize a new VM using the Boot Camp partition.

Thanks for the assistance.

15. MarmotteFarcie

I've tried the procedure. It doesnt't work : exactly the same message error.

16. YanaYana

YanaYana

Than it means you need to bring your Mac to Apple store for checking. Say you have IO errors in your kernel log. This is very important and may lead to the data loss not only in Parallels but in any space of your Mac's Hard Drive.

17. MarmotteFarcie

I'm sure it's not a mac problem and I give you the reasons.
    I have re-installed totally the Mac, made a bootcamp partition with Windows 7 pro 64bits edition. Booting on bootcamp partition works fine. I've installed mac drivers, everything is ok.
    Then I've tried to start parallel desktop without updating windows. No problem, it works. Then I decide to make update to my windows 7 partition. I run microsoft updates. After updating, bootcamp partition work fine. Then I've tried to start with parallel and it doesn't work. Always the same message. It's just the windows updating which makes parallel desktop not working. When I've tried VMware software, it worked fine with windows update.
    Then it's a problem with parallel, not with mac, you have to update your software to take windows modification in consideration.

18. YanaYana

YanaYana

Did you check your kernel log for error messages as it says in KB, if not - please do it so that we can eliminate Mac hardware problem if you are right

19. theBrandonR

theBrandonR Bit poster

Thanks karl!

I don't know how in the world you figured out how to go about using rEFIt then gptsync.... but it flippin' worked! Parallels is now accepting my Bootcamp OS as a VM and is updating it to work.

You ROCK!

20. antonvenema

antonvenema Bit poster

In my case, the error was caused by another process (CrashPlan, my backup program) actively accessing the Boot Camp partition. Parallels needs to unmount the Boot Camp volume temporarily when setting it up, and it can't do that if another process is doing stuff with it. I closed CrashPlan temporarily, retried, and it worked.