Windows 8 preview

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dylanharris, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Got it to work intermittently

I got it to boot and install but then had issues with it booting correctly intermittently. Can't say I was that impressed with Windows 8 anyway so no big loss. I did get it to work well on a home built desktop I had. Ran good but did not like Metro GUI at all.

2. cagg

cagg Bit poster

To bring up the Start menu, just press the "Command" key which functions as the "Windows" key in a Windows VM. This'll take you back to the main Metro screen.

3. barryt

barryt Bit poster

Windows 8 - VS 2011 express

I successfully installed Windows 8 on Parallels Desktop on my Mac Lion.
    I tried to start up VS 2011 express and compile/build one of the empty template provided by VS 2011 express. No luck. I got some error like "unable to register tailored application...". Any one successfully compile/build any application in VS 2011 yet?

4. _mattelkins

_mattelkins Bit poster

If you're still having trouble getting the apps to launch by clicking on the tiles, check your screen resolution. I've had to change the resolution to 1280 x 800 and the apps now appear to be doing their thing!

5. Here is some tips for Win 8

So I have tried it too but gave up on it. First off you can shut down your computer a couple ways for sure. One is from the Metro page right click the upper corner where the user name is. This will bring you to a suspend,shutdown option. Log off I believe is another. You can also Control-Alt-Delete which will give you that option.
    Now for some tips, remember this is not a beta it is a preview which means it is not even a beta of the complete OS. Nobody but a developer should really use it other then to play around with it. Much of the Metro is for testing new applications and for developers to get a feel of how to develop a App. Next tip is don't expect much support, Microsoft will not support Win 8 Preview directly to end user, it will update occasionally and you may see some vendors and drivers come available in beta for Win 8. Don't count on it though, Win 8 is months away from even a beta at this point.
    Don't get mad at Parallels or anybody else who does not support or fix things in their program for Win 8. Some things are similar to Windows 7 and some will be totally new. Windows 8 does have anti virus built in now as its part of Defender which in Windows 7 was only for Adware and such. Now it does AV too. So I would not install anything else unless they directly support Windows 8. I cannot stress enough that this is a "Preview" and not a beta. I generally have done a lot of beta testing for Microsoft and Apple and their is a big difference between a Preview and beta releases. For the general public I really only recommend the final beta or release candidate for most users.

6. seancorfield

seancorfield Bit poster

Metro apps require a non-Administrator account

According to a Parallels knowledgebase article, you need to create a new user account and use that. The Metro apps don't work under the Administrator account. I created a new account based on a Windows Live ID and logged into that account and all the Metro apps work beautifully!

7. ronmarcusps

ronmarcusps Junior Member

I tried the workaround above (set smart mouse to on) (I didn't have the black screen issue) and I was able to install parallels tools, but I have never been able to use the mouse in Windows 8 preview, which makes it essentially worthless.
    Does anyone know how to get the mouse to work (in device manager, it says troubleshooting is needed as the driver apparently is incompatible with Win 8, but using the troubleshooter results in "unable to fix". Please help

8. Alex Crane

Alex Crane Bit poster

9. AllanO

AllanO Bit poster

Getting the Parallels mouse to work with Windows 8

None of the Parallels support pages, that I could find, help with smartmouse problems on Win8 Consumer Preview. Assuming you are running a User account on Win8 after installing under Parallels Desktop for Mac, the first time you start up (SmartMouse probably defaulting to On or Auto) there will be no mouse pointer, but as you move your real mouse around, you will see some indication on the signon or home tiles screen that it is "almost" working.

Go to the Parallels Virtual Machines/Configure/Advanced and turn SmartMouse off. Then click inside the Win8 window and see if the mouse pointer appears. If you found that SmartMouse was alread Off, turn it On, and you will see that the mouse changes from black to white to black as you move it around the Mac screen, across the Win8 window, however, it does nothing inside the Win8 VM.

Go back to the SmartMouse setting and turn if Off. Then you should see that the mouse works properly inside Win8, but you will need to use Control/Option to leave the window to do Mac stuff. Going back to Win8, just click anywhere and get control of the white pointer again.

Parallels Tools needs a fix or tweak, but it is possible to try everything without SmartMouse working properly.

ps I tried all the screen resolution and older Win8 developer preview fixes, etc., but fiddling with SmartMouse On/Off/On/etc. is the only way I have been able to try out Win8. Note that I have the latest versions and fixes for everything installed, and tried reinstalling Parallels tools a few times without success.

10. AllanO

AllanO Bit poster

Missing or dead or phantom mouse

That older bypass no longer applies to the Win8 Consumer Preview. See my other post here.

11. Christopher H

Christopher H Bit poster

Network Adapter issue

I was able to get Windows 8 installed and running on parallels 4, but it cannot see any of my network adaptors and therefore will not authorize and let me create a different user. You cannot do anything under the Admin created at install.

I have tried bridged, and shared with no luck. Windows 8 thinks it has no network card.

I also tried reinstalling PT but with similar results.

When I first got 8 running the mouse was bumping the upper right corner of the screen and always moved back there.

Reinstalling PT fixed that issue.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

13. AllanO

AllanO Bit poster

An update to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac arrived yesterday, March 7. I installed it and now the SmartMouse seems to be working properly with Win8. Occasionally, though, a mouse click fails to launch the Start tile layout icon in the lower left when switching back and forth between Metro tiles and Desktop.

14. ronmarcusps

ronmarcusps Junior Member

Thanks everyone -- apparently, Parallels heard us, and released a new version of parallels tools, because when I launched Win 8 there was notification that parallels tools was "out of date" I updated parallels tools and, voila!, the smartmouse works (gestures and all).