Open in IE Button

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sabre86, Sep 1, 2012.

1. KirillBagrinovskiiy

KirillBagrinovskiiy Parallels Developers

RadekV, please close Safari, and restart Parallels Desktop
    Open Safari only when Parallels Desktop installation finished

2. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Bit poster

Ok, I got this working, but it required a reinstall of Parallels Tools. I could not update it, because Parallels Tools wasn't showing in Windows 8 Guest OS as being installed. Strangely enough, Parallels Desktop reported that the tools were installed.

So in summary, Open in IE extension did not automatically install for me and Parallels Tools did not install/update correctly for my Windows 8 Guest, but did update correctly in Windows XP Guest.

Seems like a sequence of events was interrupted during PD8 install. Hope my problem report can help sort it out.

3. KirillBagrinovskiiy

KirillBagrinovskiiy Parallels Developers

I'm sorry that you had to do so much extra work. We will work to improve the Parallels Desktop. Can you tell when you last updated the Parallels Tools in Windows 8 Virtual Machine before I told you that? When Windows 8 VM was created (on what version of Parallels Desktop)?

4. RadekV

RadekV Junior Member

Restart PD or reinstall PD, pls ?

5. RadekV

RadekV Junior Member

Solved

Close Safari, Install last update PD8 with full Parallels Tools and then I started Safari and Voila "Open in IE" is ready :)

6. Krafla

Krafla Bit poster

Found solution to IE button issue

I have been struggeling to get the IE-button in Safari and I believe I found the solution tot this problem.
    Before starting the Parallels 8 install first quit all applications especially Safari. Then start the PD8 install.

If you have installed PD8 with Safari running, run the installer again and run the parallels tools again.

This should fix the problem.

7. mrcrumb

mrcrumb Bit poster

The Open in IE button defaults to opening the 64-bit version of IE. Anyone know how to change it to default to open the 32-bit version? I am running parallels 8, windows 7, IE 9

8. NikolaiL

NikolaiL Bit poster

How to activate the extension:
    1. Go to ~/Library/Safari/Extensions (where "~" means your home folder)
    2. Drag "Open in Internet Explorer.safariextz" to your Desktop (effectively moving it out of ~/Library/Safari/Extensions)
    3. Double-click "Open in Internet Explorer.safariextz"
    Safari should come to the front and ask you if you want to install the extension. If you give your permission, "Open in Internet Explorer.safariextz" will vanish from your Desktop - actually it will be moved (back) to ~/Library/Safari/Extensions, BUT it will as well be added to the list of installed Safari extensions that resides in an XML-file "~/Library/Safari/Extensions/Extensions.plist".

Dear Parallels-install-package programmers:
    Simply moving an extension file to ~/Library/Safari/Extensions does NOT activate it in Safari.

I only accidentally stumbled upon this thread because I wondered why I have a "OpenIE.safariextz" in my extensions folder while transferring stuff to a new computer – otherwise I would never have know that there now is such a neat extension in Parallels Desktop 8 (I use Parallels Desktop since version 2), since it was sleeping unactivated.

Regards