Retina MacBook Resolution Question

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cmsj, Nov 6, 2012.

1. cmsj

cmsj Junior Member

Hi folks

I have a 15" retina MacBook Pro, which is configured to use OS X's "More Space" mode (i.e. it's rendering at 3840x2400 with a scaling factor of 2, giving an effective mode of 1920x1200, GPU scaled to the 2880x1800 native LCD panel resolution. Phew).

I've just installed Windows 7 Professional in a fully up to date Parallels 8, and installed the guest tools. They seem to be working because my printer and filesystem are browseable. I tried to turn off all of the "integration" though, because I don't want my Windows apps appearing in OS X or vice versa. Just printers and file sharing.

Ok, so in the VM's config I have tried all three of the Hardware->Video options (Scaled, Best For Retina and More Space) and neither of them gives me a Windows window that I can usefully resize. When I drag a corner, the Windows display is simply scaled, proportionately. What I was hoping for is that the Windows display resolution would change dynamically to match the size of the Parallels window.

Is this no longer possible?

I hope I have provided enough detail, if not please let me know.

Cheers,

Chris

2. cmsj

cmsj Junior Member

One detail I didn't mention - I have a Thunderbolt Display attached to the macbook, so that's a 2560x1440 monitor running at that exact resolution, so a scaling factor of 1 on that display. I have the Parallels window on that display.

I should also mention, I suppose, that I have an Ubuntu guest which has been running for months, and works perfectly in this regard. I unticked its "Enable Retina Resolution" box and I can have whatever sized window I like, it updates the display quickly and correctly.

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

You're correct, Windows resolution should normally change when you resize Parallels Desktop window. Lets check a few thigs:
    - Make sure you're not in Modality view, View menu > Exit Modality.
    - Check VM video memory amount, Virtual Machine menu > Configure > Hardware > Video, should be at least 256Mb or 512Mb if you plan to run your VM in full screen in Retina mode.
    - Press Cmd-R in Windows and run devmgmt.msc (Device Manager). Expand Display adapters subtree, it should show Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM), note if there's an exclamation mark which indicates driver failure.
    - Right-click on Windows Task bar and open task manager. Switch to Processes tab and see if prl_tools_service.exe and prl_tools.exe are running.

If there's a problem with Parallels Display Adapter, prl_tools_service.exe or prl_tools.exe that means Parallels Tools did not install properly. Generate a Problem report via Help menu and post report ID here. Then try to uninstall the tools via Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features, and install them again - Virtual Machine > Install Parallels Tools.

4. cmsj

cmsj Junior Member

Thank you so much for replying quickly.

You nailed it with Modality.

As a small piece of feedback - all the names for these different views (Modality, Crystal, etc) are pretty meaningless!

Very glad this is sorted, thanks again!

5. AlkinoosK

AlkinoosK Bit poster

I'm facing the same problem. Although graphics card from the device manager appears to be working properly (no exclamation mark), however the printscreen from the Windows Task Manager does not show prl_tools_service.exe to be running. I even located in the Program Files/Parallels folder and run it manually but still does not appear in the W Task Manager. I am posting a PrtScn. parallels8prtscn.jpg

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

You won't see prl_tools_service in task manager unless you enable Show processes for all users.