Use Mac default email app as default email app in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tom_B, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Tom_B

Tom_B Bit poster

Hello,

I am running Mac OS 10.6 and also running Windows 7 64bit on a VM via Parallels 6. Within Mac OS 10.6, my default email client is Outlook for Mac 2011.

When I run Microsoft Visio 2010 on the Windows 7 VM, I want to send the current file that I am working in an email. When I click on "Send this file as an attachment" within Visio, I get an error message: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel". In the Parallels 6 Configurations I have checked the box next to "Share Mac applications with Windows", and next to "Email", I have tried both "Default" and "Open in Mac". Either way, I get the same error message described above. Visio seems to want to use the Windows 7 default email client. I thought I was setting the Windows 7 default email client as my Mac default email client by the Parallels 6 Configurations. However, that does not seem to be working.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

2. Martyg52

Martyg52 Bit poster

Did you ever get this question answered?? I have the same question and would love to hear what you figured out...

3. ErichH

ErichH Bit poster

Presuming that you have application sharing enabled between Mac and Windows in the VM you can workaround this by copying the "Microsoft Outlook (Mac)" shortcut located in your Start Menu into your personal Send-To folder. One approach to accomplish this is to open a command prompt and type (or copy):

copy %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\"\Parallels Shared Applications"\"Microsoft Outlook (Mac).lnk" %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Note: this is ONE long line!

Now when you want to send a file as an attachment choose "Send To -> Microsoft Outlook (Mac)" and it the file will automatically be attached to a new message.

For full effect you delete the "Mail Recipient" shortcut in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo and rename the Outlook shortcut to "Mail Recipient".

4. Martyg52

Martyg52 Bit poster

Erich, thanks for the reply - that works for some programs using Send-To. However, one of my applications (QuickBooks Windows) just picks up the default Windows e-mail client when trying to e-mail an invoice, bypassing Send-To.

So, how do I set Mac Email as the default mail program in Windows? Parallels has an app C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Parallels\Shared Applications\Mail(Mac).exe, which is what the above solution uses, but the program is not registered in Windows, so it is not selectable in the Windows Program Defaults.

Anybody have any ideas how to do this? Perhaps there's a way to get at it with regedit?

5. xkelly

xkelly Bit poster

Marty52... same thing here. I use Quicken in PD6 and would prefer to use the mac's default mail client instead of having to setup one in Windows. It would be good to know either way.

6. gauravt

gauravt Bit poster

Eric,

this is excellent, solved a major issue for me. I use the mac outlook as my default mail client.

However, while I can use send to in the VM to send files using Mac Outlook, I cant do the same from the programs itsels, specifically powerpoint and excel, which have an option - save and send

any thoughts?

7. Dave_H

Dave_H Bit poster

Anyone get this worked out?

Hello,

I am experiening the same problem with but AutoCad and Simply Accounting. Anyone find a solution. I would welcome hearing about it. AutoCad I often email designs directly from and Simply has an option to email invoices. This would be great to get solved and solved quickly.

Thanks all for the ideas and help.

Dave

8. Goodybags

Goodybags Bit poster

Hi.

Same as the rest of you - I'm stuck with an archaic piece of software that generates attachments and automatically sticks them into an email. But it's looking for the default Windows email client, and I want it to use my Mac Mail app.

Was hoping the v7 update might do the trick, but no.

Here's hoping someone with a bigger brain than mine can solve this issue!

Ian.

9. BernardA

BernardA Bit poster

CPA Firm

My firm has the same problem. We want to use the Mac version of Lotus Notes as our default email program and we cannot get any Microsoft programs to recognize that "Notes" is our default program. Does anyone have a solution??

10. Tyler7

Tyler7 Bit poster

Same Problem Here

Using quickbooks and it defaults to outlook in windows. I'd like to use mac mail, but haven't found any answers to this question or a way to make it work.

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

12. Tyler7

Tyler7 Bit poster

Tried, but don't have that option

Unfortunately I have only 3 options, "Microsoft, Non-Microsoft, and Custom". None of those options show mac mail as a selectable radio button.

13. YanaYana

YanaYana

Please shut down the virtual machine, go to Virtual Machine menu --> Configure --> Options --> Application --> Share Mac applications with Windows. Than choose Custom option while changing the Mail client

14. Tyler7

Tyler7 Bit poster

Unfortunately, that's already checked ... and the custom option is selected, however quickbooks continues to select Outlook each time I e-mail an estimate or invoice. I also can't seem to stop the system from selecting Safari to open PDF's even though I have Acrobat Pro.

15. ozychops

ozychops Bit poster

Hi The PDf issues I managed to sort by going to the Default Programs menus withing Windows-Associate a filetype or protocol with a specific prohram- then select .pdf down the list and selct Acrobat or whatever program you wish PDF extension files to open in- as for the Export and clicking mail to go straight into MS otlook 2011 Mac- have not managed to conquer that-parallells please fix it-anyone?

16. Tyler7

Tyler7 Bit poster

I didn't have that option for PDF, however it reminded me how to do this: Open a window (my computer for example) then click Tools>Folder Options, Click on the File Types Tab, and scroll down to .pdf and then click Change (to the program you want). This problem is now fixed, but the e-mail issue (not able to have Quickbooks select mac mail) is not fixed. Thanks!

17. Junkfood

Junkfood Bit poster

I think its the same problem in Windows XP SP3.

There is simply no Mac Mail App registered systemwide. Thats why the mail handling will not do anything in Windows programs which are using the standard.

Is there no way to get them work? Is there no possibility to register the wanted Mac App as standard Mail-App in windows...?

Thanks in advance

18. appzattak

appzattak Bit poster

Anyone ever figure this out? I use Quickbooks 2012 and would like for it to use Outlook 2011 for Mac as the client to send out invoices. I have a feeling that it has to do with quckbooks and not parallels. Because Quickbooks does not register sending forms with Outlook until an Outlook account is configured.

Hope we can figure this out one day.

19. I'm Your PA

I'm Your PA Bit poster

Hi team, just wondering if there has been a resolve to this issue, really don't want to buy Office for PC, MYOB keeps say there is no mail client. I have performed the solutions above however I too have no option in Windows 7 to select Mac mail, however I can open it via the Shared program tab.

20. BobElliot

BobElliot Bit poster

In VM Configure Applications use drop down to select use mac mail. it will then bring up mail when you try to email in quicken. (using Windows 8, don't think that should matter)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012