The Install Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by otoc, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chunkb

chunkb Banned

Does any body know If a windows corruption would affect the mac side? as in would I be able to access my mac OS even tho the windows side is corrupt?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Sure- Windows is installed inside the virtual machine on the virtual hardware. In fact from the Mac side it looks like a branch of files which is stored on the Mac Harddrive (take a look into ~/Documents/Parallels)
    Windows corruption means corruptions of those files - so it affects Mac OS not more than corruption of e.g. doc file.

3. jackh15

jackh15 Bit poster

Hello all,

I got a "not recognised" warning message during installation. It's Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac and the warning message "ParallelsDesktop-7.0.15054.722853.dmg not recognised". Can't go any further...! thanks for any help!!!!

Cheers

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

Jack you need to check the dmg file - open Disk Utility, mount mg file to Finder, CHoose it in DU app and click 'verify'.

It can be corrupted.
    I recommend you to download dmg file from our web site:

www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

5. jackh15

jackh15 Bit poster

Thanks
    Got the trial from your site and applied license key I got from Nova. All good and great product so far!!! Thanks

6. StarFlyer

StarFlyer Junior Member

Install procedure

I'm presently running Par7 on my MacBook Air and love it. So, I decide to put it on my iMac as well. Don't know if I could have used the "full" Par7 version that I bought. So, when I started getting almost daily offers for the FULL version along with around 9 other OS X programs for only $50, I finally bought the additional Par7 edition along with the DVD/CD hard copy option. About 2 days ago it arrived. Two "plain jane" disks labeled Replacement DVD.

No instructions as to how to install (at least as far as I can tell).

Nor do I know how I should go about installing this Plain Jane Par7 on my iMac. Anyone else received these disks and if so, how do you install them. I'm presently running Win7 on my iMac via Bootcamp. Any help would be appreciated! I'm thinking maybe I should shut or reboot the computer with one of these disk in the DVD slot, but if that's so, which one.

I was under the impression that this offer came from Parallels, but now I'm wondering if I got scammed?

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

This story sounds like a scam unfortunately.
    First of all - to run Parallels on 2 different Macs you need to buy 2 copies of Parallels Desktop - it is available from our website http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop.
    The full version prise is 79,99$. Full version is what you need for your iMac to use Parallels software.
    In case you buy Parallels with hard copy it comes together with full description and Parallels labels.

8. AEG_NYC

AEG_NYC Bit poster

Parallels Transporter and OEM Windows

Spent a good amount of time on this as I didn't find any dox specifically covering this topic. Then I tried online chat and they confirmed my suspicion.

If you have a Windows OEM computer and you want to use Transporter you are out of luck. Transporter must copy the OS along with the user's data files. I had mistakenly thought that as long as I purchased a retail version of Windows then Transporter would allow the copying of data-only files. I will also post a note in the suggestions forum that the company could make this more clear. (Incidentally, I think they are clear on OEM Windows not working in their VMs.)

--AEG

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This is not a Transporter issue, it's an MS issue, OEM versions of Windows are tied to a specific hardware, people aren't aware of this when they buy a computer with Windows on it, but the license they have of Windows is for that machine only (a virtual machine is different hardware, so, a different machine).

Having said that, since MS doesn't make this very clear, Parallels could alert users to this.

10. AEG_NYC

AEG_NYC Bit poster

Data -- not the operating system

Specimen,

Thanks for your reply. But I think this is 100% a Transporter issue. I have no problems with Transporter not copying the OEM Windows; Microsoft sets the rules for its own software. But I am addressing my data files ONLY -- of which I own and have full copyright. I am finding that Lion Migration assistant provides some help here -- but still Parallels could be more clear.

Regards,
    AEG

11. AEG_NYC

AEG_NYC Bit poster

> in fact I don't understand why you mention the fatc it's an OEM license.

If it were a retail license, I would have no issue with using Transporter to copy the OS and the data (since I will be retiring the old PC).

And yes, I may go the external drive route, but am currently seeing if I can get the Parallel VM and the old PC to talk with each other via the router they are both connected to. Lion's migration assistant is fine for data, but it won't touch PC executable files. I will also take a look at the Windows migration/transfer and see how that works; might be a bit easier than what I am doing now; thanks for the tip.

AEG

12. WilliamPaul

WilliamPaul Member

Yes,Of course windows corruption would affect the mac side.

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Not true, unless the corruption is caused by an hard disk or hardware problem which would make the problem present on both sides but not necessarily the corruption. Simply put, the fact that the Windows partition has any sort of corruption or even the MBR, that does not affect OS X (not even the MBR since it uses EFI/GPT).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  14. ethand

ethand Bit poster

i am having an issue with installing parallels 7 on my mac it keeps saying invalid product key i enter it manually an copy n paste. nothing seems to work it will not let me register my product because it was used with an "invalid" product key

15. YanaYana

YanaYana

16. SophieT

SophieT Bit poster

Thanks for sharing some great tips about the installation. The issue has been explained in details. Installation in my Mac had been quite a problem with me. So this has come across as a great help.

17. YanaYana

YanaYana

Glad to be helpful

18. wineman

wineman Bit poster

Move Parallels to second drive in same machine ?

I have Macbook Pro with OS 10.8.2 and Parallels version 7.

I have just installed second SSD and would love to move my Parallels to that new disk since my first (system) disk are nearly full now?

What would be the easiest way to do that - copy ?

g. Kari

19. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Right. Just go to your Home folder/Documents/Parallels, copy your VM (with PVM extension) and paste it to your new drive. In Parallels Desktop, click on Virtual Machine > Configure > Hardware > Hard Disk 1 and set the new path to your PVM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.