WindowsXP on a FAT32 disk - expand?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RossSH, Jan 25, 2013.

1. RossSH

RossSH Bit poster

Okay, so I was short sighted when I setup my VM a year or so ago and made it only a 15 GB virtual disk and formatted it as FAT32. And now I need more space, primarily because my son has many games he wants to download. So, I tried to expand the drive, but the extra space ended up as unallocated which I have learned is because a FAT32 partition cannot be expanded. Bummer. Wish I knew that a year ago.

I would just start from scratch, but it took several days of windows update h311 to get my installation just up to date, then on top of that I would need to reinstall every thing I have done in the past year. So, I very much would like to avoid that due to not just the time, but also the mental effort to figure out what that all was.

I thought I had a good solution. I use Norton Ghost and that allows a disk to be duplicated - and make a bootable duplicate. So, I created a new disk that is 128GB and partitioned/formatted it as NTFS. I then used Norton Ghost 14 to copy my existing disk over to this new disk. All seemed to go fine. I then removed my original disk from my PVM and changed the new disk to be at IDE0:0 and at the top of the boot order. But, when I try to start the VM, it finds nothing to boot on that drive. It also seems to not find the Parallel Tools, so I take that as a hint that my new .hdd isn't a complete copy the way I had hoped.

Anyone gotten something like this to work or have a different idea how to move my Windows installation to a new and larger .hdd?

2. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

+1, I ran into this just today as well. All the details on KB article http://kb.parallels.com/en/113972 were for naught when I found my XP virtual image is ALSO formatted as FAT32. What do we do now?

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

4. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

It would be nice to have that in the knowledgebase article... I just did the CMD and "convert c: /fs:ntfs" and it's restarting now.

5. RossSH

RossSH Bit poster

Thank you @Specimen, for providing that link. I searched for days back in January for a solution and finally gave up. With that, I was able to pretty quickly get my volume converted. Resizing it in Windows XP took a little longer since most everything on the web gave incorrect advice about using built-in "Expand" command, but XP has none. I finally found a free Partition Assistant from Aomei that does the trick and took just a minute to complete the process.
    Yea! I am now up to 64GB and NTFS, so I can expand further, if needed.
    Free Aomei Partition Assistant Home Edition on CNET