Windows updated - now can't connect to internet.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GeorgeKa, Mar 13, 2013.

1. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

Here's my system:

2012 iMac (24 gig RAM) running Mac OS X 10.8.2.
    Parallels version 8 Build 8.0.18354
    Windows 7 installed.

I did a Windows update this morning and now Internet Explorer and Firefox will not connect to the internet. I changed no other settings. Explorer says "IE cannot display the webpage" and Firefox says "The proxy server is refusing connections"

I know that my settings are correct, because my Virtual Machine for Win XP is working fine, as is my Virtual Machine for Ubuntu Linux. I have changed no settings in the configuration, though I did re-install the Parallels Tools as suggested elsewhere on the forum.

I've rebooted my computer, the virtual machines, and done the testing suggested elsewhere on the forum (ping worked fine). Interestingly, Windows told me (after these problems) that there are updates I need to install, but the update times out ("update failed").

Here's a screenshot of what the Virtual Machine looks like:

[​IMG]

Here's the configuration screen:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts would be most appreciated! Thanks!

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi,

Please try switching to Bridged Networking.

3. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

Thank you kat.

My Mac is hard wired to my router, by the way. I should have mentioned that in my original question. Airport is active, however.

I switched to Bridged Networking: Airport (but did not sent the MAC address to the DHCP server) and rebooted the VM. No luck. I then switched to Bridged Networking: Ethernet and rebooted. Again, no joy. Finally, I switched to Bridged Networking: Default Adapter and rebooted, again without success.

I can't help but think that this is a Microsoft problem, for everything was working well until I updated Windows 7.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

You are most likely correct that it is a Windows issue, but have you tried to generate a new mac address in your vm and go back to shared network?
    Edit: Have you reinstalled parallels tools, if not please do so.

5. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

I have reinstalled Parallels tools. That was the *first* thing I did - suggested elsewhere on the forum.

The ability to generate a new MAC address is greyed out, and I cannot enter any numbers to do it manually.

[​IMG]

Switching to Shared Network was unsuccessful.

Interestingly, I just got *another* notification that there are Windows updates available. It would seem that I'm connected to the internet, but for some reason browsing is unsuccessful.

6. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi GeorgeKA

You can only generate a new mac address with the vm turned off but selected.
    If you wish to try this select your vm go to Virtual Machine(along the top near the apple)>Configure...>Hardware>
    then Select your network, you should be able to generate a new address.

You can alway reenter your old mac address.

7. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

Did it.

No luck.

:-(

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No point in generating a new mac address, switching to bridge mode.

First, try the network troubleshooting link in my signature.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  9. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

Thanks for the replies!

From the knowledge base troubleshooting link:

- did it.

- it is checked (see screenshot above)

- tried that

The Mac is hard-wired to my router, though airport is active.

- Names are the same

- That's what it says.

- did that

- Did that and rebooted the VM. No connectivity with IE or Firefox

[​IMG]

- see above. It matches my router's address.

[​IMG]

-request timed out

Did that and rebooted. No luck.

As I said, I wonder if this isn't a Windows issue. The VM was working fine before my "update" of Win7. Also, WinXP and Ubuntu Linux are working fine, as is a VM of Mac OS X Lion.

Again, thanks for all your efforts!

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If you can ping but the browsers can't connect it's because you have a proxy configured somewhere, check the Internet Options.

Note: "ping 64.131.89.6" <--- this address isn't replying to pings
    Use '
    ping 173.194.78.138' (it's a google server)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  11. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

I have no idea what that means - please pardon my ignorance.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

13. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

Thank you. I unchecked the proxy server under the LAN settings (there was no IP address in the box listed), and was unable to connect. I checked it again, and checked "bypass proxy server for local addresses".

That was also without success.

I have disabled the wireless (which I use occasionally for airdrop to another computer at home), still without success.

I double-checked my Linux connectivity and my Win XP. They are fine. Looking at the WIN XP LAN settings, I see that they are identical to the settings I had with Win 7.

As you can see, the control panel says I am connected:

[​IMG]

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In the proxy settings You should tick the box "Automatically detect settings" (and untick proxy server and bypass).

The control panel says you are connected because you indeed are, I know that because your ping to parallels.com worked. The problem lies elsewhere in the settings of how the browsers connect.

15. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

That did it!!!

[​IMG]

Thank you so much for your help, everyone!

Interesting that it got screwed up with a Windows "update".

16. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

Rejoiced too soon...

Interestingly, Internet Explorer is happily connecting and allowing me to browse. Firefox, not so much. I still get the "proxy server is refusing connections" message. I uninstalled Firefox, redownloaded and installed the most current version.

Same thing - no connection.

[​IMG]

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You'll have to check the proxy settings in firefox, and do the same you did for IE, I'm sure you can google that yourself, I already did my bit.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox changes nothing, as it will re-read the same settings (uninstalling doesn't delete them), what you can do is reset firefox, google that too.

I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with Windows update, you have something in your windows installation that gained control of your proxy settings, what it is, I have no idea, can be the anti-virus, some program, some virus/trojan, or someone or yourself messed unknowingly with the proxy settings, the fact is that Windows Update doesn't change that and that something changed it.

18. GeorgeKa

GeorgeKa Junior Member

You certainly did! I am in your debt.
    I had no idea that each individual program has to be reset for internet access. I guess I'm too used to using a mac. ;-)

As per your suggestion, I reset Firefox and all seems to be well - finally!

Thank you so much for your help.

19. muzzolini

muzzolini Bit poster

with similar symptoms, shutting down the unnecessary wireless did help in my case. thanks.

20. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Muzzolini,
    Please Follow the steps below:
    1. (Re)Install Parallels Tools as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/4841
    2. Change the network type: Go to VM Configure ( http://kb.parallels.com/117287 ) > Hardware > Network > Select Network type > choose "Default Adapter" > restart Windows, if issue still persisting follow the steps as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/8978 to troubleshoot network problems on Virtual Machine.