Fedora 18 and parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Evermore707, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Evermore707

Evermore707 Bit poster

3 hours of google, and I'm nowhere. Can anybody please post a step by step to get Parallels tools (8) installed on Fedora 18. I cannot seem to get to the right directory; and I have no idea why Fedora just does not allow a right click and open terminal here..
    Appreciate any Help I can get, as clearly I'm a Fedora noob..( though I did this on ubuntu no problem).

2. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

Using Fedora's file manager (Nautilus?) you can just open a terminal window alongside the file manager. Type cd in terminal. In the file manager, click on the Parallels Tools CD and then drag and drop the CD from the address bar at the top into the terminal and it will convert it into the proper link. In terminal, hit enter.

Then just ./install (or sudo ./install). That always works for me, anyway, in Ubuntu and Mint, the two distros I'm using with Parallels.

3. TianshanCap

TianshanCap Bit poster

The directory shows as below:
    " /run/media/"user account "/Parallels Tools "
    ("user account" IS your account name )
    Then you can use "sudo ./install" to install it, however, it doesn't work for me since it's suspended when it's showing the message as "my system is missing for some components, it have to download more.. then it doesn't really works.."
    Hope it's helpful for you somehow.

4. Evermore707

Evermore707 Bit poster

This still gets me " no such file or directory" I can see the Parallels tools files under devices in the file browser , so i know it is mounted. Dragging the location did not work, while it changed dir, no amount of ./install launches anything, even with super user switch.

I did this all in ubuntu 1 2 3 . I dont know why fedora is so PIA.

5. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

Instead of .install, try sh install

sudo sh <path to the install script>

This also works for me. If that doesn't work, specifically what error message are you getting?

6. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

On rereading your post, it seems your saying that you're getting "no such file" even after changing to the directory containing the install script. You can skip the cd part.

Open terminal and type

sudo sh

Then go to Nautilus and find the actual install script on the Parallel Tools CD image and drag and drop it into terminal and hit enter.

I can't possibly see how it would be able to tell you that the file you just dragged in doesn't exist.

7. Evermore707

Evermore707 Bit poster

Ok, this actually works but the installer errors out. I'm missing GCC/ MAKE/ and Kernel Sources, but.. at least I got this to actually run. I thank you GrizzlyAdams, for helping me.