Running Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by luke666s, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Levoy Hurley

Levoy Hurley Member

thanks for the help on the script. I was able to start PD8 but got a message that my network adapter couldn't be found. I've tried a could of different settings but nothing works. PD8 runs fine except for my network connection.

"The network adapter does not exist."

anybody see this?

UPDATE: Well, it works now. I shut down Win8 and PD8 and restarted - PD8 first, then Win8. I did not use the script this time - just double-clicked on the PD8 icon. No error messages this time and everything is hunky-dory!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. Caesium

Caesium Junior Member

Thanks for this, you're a star :)

3. Musicman

Musicman Bit poster

Hi

I have managed to install Mavericks OS X 10.9 on to Parallels Desktop 8.

I first installed Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4, then before booting up Mountain Lion I changed the Video Configurations for the Virtual Machine to 128 instead of the default of 256. Once that was done, I logged in to Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4 opened the App Store and logged in with my Developers User Name and ID. The next step was to go to the purchases tab where it shows Mavericks OS X 10.9, Hit download and installed as an upgrade in the usual way.

4. Musicman

Musicman Bit poster

I have managed to install Mavericks OS X 10.9 on to Parallels Desktop 8.

I first installed Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4, then before booting up Mountain Lion I changed the Video Configurations for the Virtual Machine to 128 instead of the default of 256. Once that was done, I logged in to Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4 opened the App Store and logged in with my Developers User Name and ID. The next step was to go to the purchases tab where it shows Mavericks OS X 10.9, Hit download and installed as an upgrade in the usual way.

5. Sang-GeolK

Sang-GeolK Bit poster

This worked. Thank you!!

6. DanneyG

DanneyG Bit poster

I did an update of os x 10.8 to 10.9 - was having issues running PD8 until the patch came out - it works great, only issue that I am finding now is I cannot re-install the Parallel Tools - i get a non-decript error. I have attempted to uninstall PD8 and do a fresh install, tried to manually install PD8 and still no luck. Any help would be great.

7. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi All,

We've just released a new build of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac - please update so that you don't have to run any scripts to start Parallels Desktop 8 on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9:

http://kb.parallels.com/116290

8. DanneyG

DanneyG Bit poster

Fixed all reported issues... if only others were so quick with fixes :)

9. NIbioD

NIbioD Bit poster

Will parallels 7 users get any type of update for mavericks?

10. David_M

David_M Bit poster

I installed the new build but when I try to start windows I can see it starting in the virtual machine list but I never get a window so I can login. I can even here the windows music for start up. What am I doing wrong

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Probably the window is opening on a different 'space'? Switch from Coherence to Window mode? Mavericks has a slightly different 'spaces' and multi monitor management, be sure to look for it in Mission Control.

12. Caesium

Caesium Junior Member

I ran into this too. The problem is the window may well be on your current space, but its opening outside the bounds of the current space, so you can never see it. A workaround is to ensure you have the VM window selected (it will be selected right after you start it, assuming you don't click anywhere else, then window->zoom.

Turning off "displays have separate spaces" in Mission Control seems to fix it too, but then we lose the new dual menubar etc, so hopefully Parallels can resolve this.

13. David_M

David_M Bit poster

Thanks - window -> zoom fixed it - It was opening on second display under Mountain Lion way of things so I could not see it - seems to work OK now

14. Levoy Hurley

Levoy Hurley Member

just installed the patch and the Tools are updating as I type this. All is well. Thanks Parallels!

15. toastido

toastido Bit poster

Ran fine with the scripting before. When I updated parallels and it updated the tools, if I exit parallels and then re-open it, I can no longer use networking on my system. All connections get dropped.

Immediately after quitting the Parallels application and the kernel extensions unloaded, I had full networking once again on my Mac. I wanted to post the dmesg output, but the forum said it was too long, so I put it in a text file via dropbox (attachments aren't working either). https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9539661/parallels-10.9.txt

16. toastido

toastido Bit poster

Update: Parallels launches now without taking down my networking, but ONLY if I use SHARED, not bridged (which I need), however, if I switch networks I randomly get "Parallels has recovered from a serious error" or something of that nature (don't remember the exact phrasing), but continues on.

17. Pariahware

Pariahware Junior Member

This was the key for me. My video was set at 32MB & was stuck at the Apple boot screen. Raising the video memory to 128 allowed the machine to boot and allow the installer to finish.

18. The emulated keyboard is not working during installation (first boot of MacOS) as MacOS in this mode does not support PS/2 emulation.
    The workaround (I suggest to do this temporary for installation stages) is to set the following boot flags:
    devices.usb.enable_keyboard=2; devices.usb.enable_mouse=2
    for PD7 and the following flags for PD8
    devices.usb.keyboard=2; devices.usb.mouse=2

Pls do not suggest to switch to USB emulation in all modes. This is not very good idea. The problem is keyboard autorepeat, which is hardware for PS/2 and software for UBS, i.e. the situation when pressed keys will be doubled is possible (and likely under some conditions) according to our tests.

I hope this helps.

19. pls make a problem report _AFTER you face the problem_ and provide its number to us (Help -> Report a problem)

20. jhfenton

jhfenton Junior Member

Yes. There are definitely some weird interactions between the "displays have separate spaces" option in OS X 10.9 and the "Use all displays in full screen" option in Parallels. My Windows 8 VM works perfectly except that both Parallels Windows 8 "windows" open up on the same display. Swiping to Mission Control lets me drag the 1080p window to a "space" belonging to my secondary 1080p display. When I click to drop out of Mission Control, I get full screen, two display, 1440p and 1080p, Windows 8 glory. And from there everything works perfectly. I can swipe each display separately to an OS X space, leaving the other display in Windows 8, and vice versa. It's seemless and perfect. Except for that initial need to drag the secondary Parallels window to the right "space."

Edit: I'm now having the same experience with my Ubuntu 13.04 VM. Two windows in the same space. Drag the smaller to the second display "space" in Mission Control. Then it works.

John

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013