New OS X not that far away now.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RobertWise, Aug 15, 2013.

1. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Does anyone know if we are likely to end up in the same situation with Parallels as we were with the Mountain Lion release i.e. we have to shell out yet more money as Parallels won't work with the upgrade.

If so I'm not minded to go through that again for Mavericks , I will stick with ML.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Before upgrading any OS you should always verify that your software will work in the next version.

3. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

So the answer being what? Will it or won't it?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Please read the last line of my signature.

5. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I'll delay pulling the trigger early on Mavericks then.

6. StarShot

StarShot Member

Parallels works fine with my Beta Mavericks edition. Yes, there will be a charge for Mavericks when it comes out, but from what I see, Parallels will be fine without an upgrade.

7. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Well that will be a first that I can remember then as we have had to upgrade and pay the last few times.

8. StarShot

StarShot Member

I'm confused by "pay the last few times." Again, I just bought a new MBA 13 from B&H PhotoVideo which included a free copy of PD8. I don't remember if I had already installed PD8 on my old MBA 11. Regardless, when the new MBA arrived I did install the free PB8 on it and ran the computer in that manner for about a month. I finally got around to doing one last Time Machine backup with my MBA11. After doing so, I hooked my new MBA13 up to my Time Machine HD and did a restore or recovery of all my programs/data to the new MBA 13. When the restore/recovery was completed, I booted up the new computer and all my programs that I know of got transferred to the new MBA13. Parallels 8 seemed to run fine.

Then a couple of days later (actually today) I went into Parallels on the new computer and it asked me for my activation key which came on the free installation disk. After entering that number, everything seems fine. So based on what I've seen, at least PD8 runs fine with the new beta OS X Mavericks. Whether this will be true with earlier editions of Parallels I haven't a clue. And yes, I expect that I'll have to pay the usual $29 or whatever Apple charges for the regular edition of Mavericks.

Fine with me as I don't want to open a can of worms by trying to go back to Mountain Lion.

9. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

You obviously aren't aware of the furore that ensued following the upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion. The thread ran into thousands of views and complaints. Many of us purchased Parallels for Lion only months before ML was released only to find it stopped working when we upgraded to ML so had to pay all over again.

10. StarShot

StarShot Member

No, I wasn't aware of any problems upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion. Re my "glowing or semi-glowing" posts above, I think I should modify it. Reminder, I'm running the beta Mavericks with Parallels 8 and Win7. For the first few days it ran like a charm.

Then yesterday, Win7 refused to load. I ended up have to reinstall Parallels AND Win7. I don't suppose I should be considered a power user on Parallels since the only thing I use it for is Office for Windows and Quicken. Probably 95% of my laptop time is spent in the OS X arena. The only reason I'm messing around with the beta Mavericks is that it was offered to me and it's only on my "play" machine (MBA13).

On my real power user computer (iMac), I wouldn't put a beta Mavericks on it. Just don't want to see it screwed up.

11. xz4gb8

xz4gb8 Member

I have installed PD8 on every Developer Preview available to date. It seems to be fine. If you upgraded to Mavericks from a previous OS X version, you must re-install PD8. (NOT the VMs.) I have now switched to PD9 because it supports FW and TB external drives and seems to be somewhat faster than PD8.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  12. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Good luck with the above. Thousands of us made that same plea last year when ML was released, the pleas fell on deaf ears. I have now tried PD9 and to be perfectly honest I went back to PD8 after less than a day. Reason? - well it brought little to the party over PD8 for my useage and as it now appears PD8 will be supported for another year then there seems little point.

13. xz4gb8

xz4gb8 Member

You can avoid having to reinstall Win7 in the future if you make regular backups of the Virtual Machine (.pvm) files:

Make PVM backup:

- Shut down Windows 7
    - Make Finder copy or otherwise clone the Windows 7 PVM
    - Restart Windows 7.
    - Repeat at reasonably regular intervals and prior to updates.

Then, when Windows crashes beyond repair:

- Reinstall Parallels Desktop for Mac (only if required)
    - Restore the backup of the Windows 7 virtual machine PVM
    - Open the PVM (double-click or whatever)
    - Proceed with life as before