Browser interface on tablet

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mgillenwater, Aug 29, 2013.

1. mgillenwater

mgillenwater Bit poster

My question relates to what I want to be able to do with the tablet. I use Firefox on a PC with numerous tabs open. I want to be able to switch to my tablet and see all my tabs on my browser and walk away from my PC to read something on the tablet. So my question is whether I will get what I see on my PC to show up on my tablet. Or will the tablet just run a parallel Firefox browser on the tablet but NOT mirror my tabs and their contents on the tablet. This is something I could figure out in probably 2 minutes if I had access to a demo.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Parallels Access has a free 14 day trial.

Anything you see on the Windows screen you will see in Parallels Access. It's like VNC or Remote Desktop except faster.

3. lotw

lotw Product Expert

That is subjective about being faster. There are other remote clients that are faster and are a one time purchase or even free.

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

If you can name any of those, I would like to compare performance and features.

I use iTeleport which is a VNC client. It uses lower bit depth for color, and video plays slowly and doesn't have audio. It does have full screen zoom in and zoom out and works on iPhone or iPod Touch. Parallels Access supports zooming in only some apps using the zoom feature of that app (Safari's Zoom In and Zoom Out, or Preview's Zoom In and Zoom Out for example).

5. mgillenwater

mgillenwater Bit poster

Thank you for the response.

6. lotw

lotw Product Expert

For streaming video using a remote client PA works good, but it is stupid to use PA to stream video when there are other ways to stream video that use less bandwidth and work even better. Plex will stream any vid on your computer to almost any device over the Internet better the PA.

As for streaming flash videos from a website I couldn't tell you, I don't have flash installed on my Mac at all or even in my virtual machines, I don't like flash and want nothing to do with any site that forces you to use it.

7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

There are video websites where you can't stream the video using a video streaming application without a bit of hassle. The video is not on your computer in those cases. Sometimes, you can figure out where the video is coming from (the URL can be found in the Activity window of older versions of Safari) and then download it to your computer where you can view it using VLC or stream it.

I agree Flash sucks. It's horrible for CPU and memory usage. I think it's the #1 reason the Safari Web Content process gets out of control sometimes (or maybe Safari sucks too). I use the ClickToFlash extension to stop Flash content from loading automatically which helps some. It stops Flash based ads from appearing for example.