Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Parallels Access and Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by NewNickName, Sep 3, 2013.

1. NewNickName

NewNickName Guest

I am using the iPad to access my MBP (17", 1920x1200) ... but Access keeps putting my MBP into a low resolution screen. How can I change this?

Thanks.

The resolution is so low that most of my windows apps cannot be used. I thought that was what the 'hold-for a magnifier' accurate clicking system was for, to account for high res screens and rather thick fingers!

I use Citrix receiver on a daily basis and it does not seem to have the same resolution issues, but then neither does have the magnifier system.

The low resolution does not seem to be an issue on the videos, but then the icons on the desktop are rather large ... I assumed that was a user choice. Maybe it cannot be done.

2. Hi NewNickName,

Thanks for bringing this up for discussion. Parallels Access changes remote computer's screen resolution by design, to fit the content from your computer monitor on iPad/iPhone screen. Most of displays have screen format different to mobile display size (they are much wider), therefore we use this algorithm to let you browse your computer's content with the best experience. Parallels Access is designed especially for remote access, rather then for remote control, meaning that you are not suppose to be somewhere close to your computer you get access to.

3. Blacksmith

Blacksmith Bit poster

I find that Access sometimes leaves my iMac screen in low resolution after I quit using it. This is most annoying because it scrambles the icons on my iMac desktop. As it happens sometimes but not always, is this a bug?

4. Hi Blacksmith,

Yes, we are aware about such inconvenient behavior, please expect several improvements in the next Parallels Access updates coming soon.

5. lotw

lotw Product Expert

To fix the issue when controlling you computer, system preferences, display and select the one you want. When you exit PA you may have to fix your Mac again cause of their bug in changing the resolution to begin with.

6. TimPUK

TimPUK Bit poster

I have set a short cut to turn my Mac Screen back to the resolution I want. I find using the pointer that it is easy to use a high resolution on the iPad. Also it is possible to set a short cut to a lower resolution when required. I would hope the development would go the way where the user has the choice and from a practical experience like hooking up a MacBook Pro Retina to a HD TV using Apple's AirPlay. Always good to give the customer options he wants, don't you think?

7. RivieraDude

RivieraDude Bit poster

Dmitry, thanks for responding on these desktop switching resolution issues of Parallels Access (PA). IMHO, while PA in concept is a very noble concept for an application, the current PA user experience leaves the user with a desktop that looks like a wrecking ball was used against it, after PA is disconnected. On Mac's with multiple displays, the display mirroring (activated by PA), leaves user's windows and ICON's all bunched up onto one screen. I have 3 monitors, and I keep my desktop highly organized. I have to reposition several windows and widgets after every usage of PA.

At minimum, PA, upon its exit (user disconnect), will need to restore the users desktop to the way it was before a PA remote connection. I, personally, would prefer to have "user selectable" options in an "advanced tab" for PA, that provide user with some control for how this is to be done. For instance: 1) If the user does not want "mirrroring" to be turned on, for a multi-display config, then allow user to configure 1 (specific) display (of the multi-display cfg) which will be monitored/used by PA 2) Allow user to configure resolution, which will be set by PA, just before a PA remote session. 3) Allow the user to configure resolution of that "selected" display, which will be "restored" when PA disconnect occurs. There should be one element of that 3rd configurable element, which is a default, which says return resolution back to what it was prior to any PA remote connect. However, if the user wants to return to some other resolution, that the selected PA display will support, such configuration option also would be desirable (and could potentially fix some problems with odd-ball HW setups....like projectors...etc).

I hope you can at least discuss these options with the PA product manager and developers. I believe these suggestions will go a long way to removing the barriers of acceptance to PA, from your customers perspective. (I've been developing SW for almost 30 years now, and I have significant experience over my career with "barriers of product acceptance").

Best Regards

8. SNWombat

SNWombat Bit poster

I need to use Internet Explorer to log in to a PACS (medical image viewer) which requires a higher screen resolution. Because of Access' low screen resolution, I am unable to see all the menu bar options needed and since I am unable to view the entire interface I cannot see the whole image. If Access is unable to use a higher resolution, it is useless to me.