Black shadows below the Menu while running Ubuntu 12.04.3 in Parallels Desktop 9

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JayneilD, Nov 18, 2013.

1. JayneilD

JayneilD Bit poster

I tried running Ubuntu 12.04.3 on Parallels Desktop v9 for Mac. I am seeing a black shadow below the menu/top of the screen. There is no way to remove it. Even if you open other windows such as folders/file browsers, the black shadow will over write the top portion. I have attached the screenshot for the same. I even tried rebooting, reinstalling the Parallels tool but the problem still exists.

Ubuntu_Linux_-_Parallels_Desktop.png

Any fix for this?

Parallels build: 9.0.23036

Hardware: Macbook Pro Retina 13"(late 2013 model)

2. JayneilD

JayneilD Bit poster

Ok, after doing some troubleshooting, it seems this problem occurs only after installing the Parallels Tool. Weird. Any update on the fix?

3. JayneilD

JayneilD Bit poster

No Reply! Anyways I have shifted to VMWare Fusion 6 and the support for Ubuntu 12.04.3 is just amazing. No black shadows like the one above and it supports the Macbook Retina resolution natively!

4. FabioDassan

FabioDassan Bit poster

Hello guys,

anyone has a solution for this problem?
    This is also happening with me.

5. jrockowitz

jrockowitz Bit poster

The best solution I found was to remove the panel-shadow.png used to create the shadow. I got the idea from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1733520

On ubuntu 12.04, I executed the below command.

sudo mv /usr/share/unity/5/panel-shadow.png /usr/share/unity/5/panel-shadow.png.orig

Still, I have no idea what is causing the issue.

6. Hanterdro

Hanterdro Bit poster

I had this problem, too.
    Parallels Ubuntu support sucks very hard!

I found an easy workaround. Just switch to the login screen and choose unitiy 2d.
    Not a good solution, but a working one ;)

7. ngocpham

ngocpham Bit poster

I actually met such a case without knowing how to handle, there is your expert to comment and share some knowledge okay, thank you very much.

8. rushim

rushim Bit poster

hi
    Any fix for this?