New Mac Pro & Mavericks Build 13B4116 / Mavericks VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by michael_aos@mac.com, Jan 13, 2014.

1. michael_aos@mac.com

michael_aos@mac.com Member

I've never seen "Install OS X Mavericks Using the Recovery Partition" work. I assume it doesn't.

Downloading the "Install OS X Mavericks" App from Apple, then creating a new VM and pointing to it looks like it should work, except that the new Mac Pro says it's not compatible with the version of Mavericks from the Mac App Store.

My new Mac Pro arrived with Build 13B4116.

My old Mavericks VM won't boot, and I tried an old FW800 drive with Mavericks -- it won't boot either. So I assume the older Mavericks kernel isn't compatible with the new Mac Pro.

Is there any way I can fix my existing Mavericks VM to run on the new Mac Pro? Or alternately, is there a way to create a new Mavericks VM on the new Mac Pro?
    --

2. Patator

Patator Junior Member

Hello sorry for my "google english".
    I have the same problem with a new MacPro 2013 (OS X 10.9.1 (13B4116).
    My old virtual machine does not start the installation with the recovery partition either and with a fresh version of Apple noon more.
    Apple has released an update to its OS (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1707?viewlocale=en_US) but this is only update and not a full version.
    I'm stuck my virtual machine to install OSX.
    Thank you for helping me if you found a solution.

3. Davevad

Davevad Bit poster

Exactly the same problem for me, cannot create a new Mavericks VM on the new Mac Pro and migrating one from a different machine just won't boot, anyone got this working yet?

4. Davevad

Davevad Bit poster

short term option to get around this problem
    downloaded a trial of VM Fusion 6.0.2 and that runs on the new Mac Pro with no problems, and is able to create a mavericks VM from the recovery partition, hoping that Parallels sort out a fix for this within the 30 days so that I don't have to invest in a copy of VM Fusion

5. michael_aos@mac.com

Thanks. I've been meaning to try that. This might be the issue that finally causes me to abandon Parallels and switch to Fusion.

I've been using Parallels since 2006.

6. michael_aos@mac.com

So far no luck with 10.9.2 build 13C64, or the new "Install OS X Mavericks" from the App Store either.

Looks like this is the end for Parallels.

7. Patator

Patator Junior Member

Exactly...

8. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Eveyone,

Please follow this link for information on creating a Mavericks Virtual Machine using Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac: http://kb.parallels.com/118806
    If it hangs/crashes in the middle of install, please post your problem reports (http://kb.parallels.com/9058) in this thread.

Thanks,
    Looran

9. Patator

Patator Junior Member

OK report 40775239

10. michael_aos@mac.com

Technical Support Engineer Daniel B. Patco was able to confirm that Parallels Desktop 9.0.24172 is not compatible with OS X Guest on the new (Late 2013) Mac Pro.

Case has been escalated to the Development Team for possible inclusion in a future update. Case marked as "resolved" and closed.

11. Davevad

Davevad Bit poster

My report had the same outcome, only 3 days left on my VM Fusion trial, looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and fork out for that
    not happy with Parallels, how can it work 'out of the box' on VM Fusion and Parallels can't get it working months after the Mac Pro's release, very disappointing

12. michael_aos@mac.com

There's a new version of Parallels -- 9.0.24217.979618 that purports to address this issue.

I'll know soon....

13. Davevad

Davevad Bit poster

its allowing me to install a new VM from the recovery partition, so that's progress, just in time too if this all works out

14. michael_aos@mac.com

Both "Install OS X Mavericks Using the Recovery Partition" and "Install from image file" using "Install OS X Mavericks" app / dmg worked for me.

15. michael_aos@mac.com

FYI, the new VM created "From recovery partition" also has it's own Recovery Partition in the VM. The one created from the Install Media doesn't.

$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *68.7 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 67.7 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *68.7 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 68.4 GB disk0s2

16. Davevad

Davevad Bit poster

great stuff, thats exactly what I was after, cheers man, and thanks to the Parallels Engineers

17. Patator

Patator Junior Member

Me too, it's OK.

Thank you for the release.