Parallels Desktop 9 and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (as a guest OS) compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Jun 3, 2014.

1. DamienM

DamienM Bit poster

Sorry for my english...

Same for me . After buy Parallels 5 then upgrade to 6 , 7 , 8 and 9 ... i stop all with this "Yosemite frustration problem".
    And i don't speak about many ubuntu upgrade where X Window don't run or hang after distrib update .

For me Parallels have only one objectif : run windows on mac

Next stage for me buy vmWare fusion and uninstall parallels desktop 9.

bye

2. PleasespecifyYourNickName

PleasespecifyYourNickName Bit poster

If they don't bring up an updated version which can boot OS X Yosemite till the end of August, I'll also be switching to VMWare.

3. wetar1

wetar1 Bit poster

What a pitty. Usually i like to try a beta on a VM. And now we wait so long and nothing happen. I guess the official release of yosemite mac os x will be before parallels get a solution to instal it as a VM on mavericks.
    Realy disapointing.

4. The Patcher

The Patcher Bit poster

KB update: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122422
    Now they mention the public beta, but there are known issues described here http://kb.sp.parallels.com/en/121895

Still no updates of the software itself, so how do these updated KB articles helps me?
    I'm still experiencing " OS X 10.10 virtual machine hangs with black screen on boot after initialization guest Mac OS X upgrade"
    This issue is described in the forums here and this is not a really helpful hint "NOTE: If you experience one of these issues please contact Parallels Support team: http://www.parallels.com/support/"

5. stevenj16

stevenj16 Bit poster

Thanks for the heads up. I took a look at the KB article - but I didn't find it helpful either. No, actually in my opinion it is confusing and poorly written.

What on earth does that mean?

and...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  6. mac-addict1982

mac-addict1982 Junior Member

I have used PD since version 3.0, and I have upgraded every time since. However, I have been feeling like a cash cow for some time paying for an update every year just to maintain full compatibility with the current Mac OS version. Adding to that has been the annoying waiting time when a new linux kernel or x-server has been released until the PD tools have been released. And I have NOT felt the apparent speed gains by the new releases since PD 7... Now the lacking Yosemite beta suppport is doing the rest... So count me as a customer soon buying VMware and deleting PD from my Mac (I could maybe rethink the decision if parallels offered the update to PD 10 for free).

7. KenV54

KenV54 Member

Yosemite.jpg

Here is one answer that should be a wakeup call to Parallels:

I DLed the 30 day free trial version of Fusion 6.0, converted my Parallels OSX Mavericks VM to a Fusion Mavericks VM, put the Install Yosemite Beta app on the now-Fusion Maverick VM, double clicked it, and in about 45 minutes or so it converted the Mavericks VM into a working Yosemite Beta VM in Fusion, and with the VMWare Tools installed it works like a charm. I did try to reconvert the VM to a Parallels VM, but that failed.

This was a lot easier than going through the process of working with the kernel mentioned above in Parallels.

Now I've got 30 days to decide whether to switch from Parallels to Fusion. I don't know when the official release date is for Yosemite, after which I won't need the beta Yosemite VM any longer, and presumably Parallels will have its act in order. I used to have Fusion and switched to Parallels a few years ago when it was cheaper to do a competitive upgrade from Fusion to Parallels than it was to upgrade to the next version of Fusion at that time. I also tend to like Parallels better than Fusion. I wonder what the difference in price will be in upgrading from Parallels 9 to 10 or doing a competitive upgrade from Parallels to Fusion, which is now about $50.

8. The Patcher

The Patcher Bit poster

9. SthlmSwe

SthlmSwe Bit poster

10. DamienM

DamienM Bit poster

Now , i know why Parallels don't upgrade PD9 for Yosemite Guest support !

50 €uro for upgrade 9 to 10 .... hmmmm i prefer buy a VMWare licence for same price . so i wait maybe a 'VMWare offer for Parallels users' for now .

The worse is my PD 9 licence have juste 10 month on use ...
    The renew cycle is very very short !!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  11. SthlmSwe

SthlmSwe Bit poster

Somebody just asked the question:
    https://twitter.com/davidfroster/status/502040590683754496

12. SthlmSwe

SthlmSwe Bit poster

Somebody just asked:
    https://twitter.com/davidfroster/status/502040590683754496

13. RogierS

RogierS Bit poster

It is simply a total disgrace. I use PD as from version 6 having to pay new upgrades with every minor update from an OS. Wether it is win 7, 8 ,8.1 as leopard, lion, mavericks and so on. I really feel like a cash cow. Not to mention in past I have instructed/ advised friends and collegues to use PD. Now I have to pay for version 10 only to test wether Yosemite is suitable for me. I advise everyone on this site to block and boycot PD in future because they are not able to construct durable software. I am completely pissed with the so called offer I received in my mail today. It should have stated: when you have bought within THIS YEAR PD9 and NOT...after the 1 of august. IT IS A TOTAL DISGRACE! PEOPLE DO NOT BUY VERSION 10! let PD die a slow death. We already have payed for the funeral.

14. DamienM

DamienM Bit poster

I agree.
    I don't buy upgrade to PD 10 for a Yosemite support !
    And the renew speed cycle let think when Windows 9 come out , we need buy PD 11 :)

15. BenjaminClaude

BenjaminClaude Bit poster

When you see Apple or Microsoft's efforts to provide more and more features and updates for free, this is really harder and harder to accept $49,99 for PD10 upgrade. Parallels, I love your products.. but your pricing strategy is a little bit rough!

16. etresoft

etresoft Junior Member

Here is my question. Will my Parallels 10 purchase give me the same level of support I have enjoyed with Parallels 9? If so, then it is definitely not worth it. Will Parallels 10 break when 10.10.3 is released? Will Parallels 10 tools fail to install or uninstall on a Mavericks guest?

17. ScottN57

ScottN57 Junior Member

18. KenV54

KenV54 Member

Well, to tone down the rhetoric a bit here, let's look at the history and the numbers.

In my earlier posts I said that 2-3 years ago the Parallels competitive upgrade from Fusion cost me $40, which was $20-30 cheaper than the Fusion upgrade from 5 to 6 or something like that. And I found that I liked the recent versions of Parallels better than Fusion, anyway.

Now, Parallels is offering an upgrade from 9 to 10 for $50, while the Fusion competitive upgrade to its version 6 from Parallels 9 amounts to about the same price (a 17% discount from its regular price of $60 standalone. http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/Content/pbPage.FusionLandingPage

You can't compare VMWare and Parallels with Apple. Apple makes its money on hardware and can afford to give its software, or at least its OS, away. These companies have to make a profit. I don't think $50 is such a bad deal for Fusion or Parallels, and the upgrades aren't all that often.

I was complaining earlier that Parallels 9 couldn't handle Yosemite while Fusion 6 could, but now with Parallels 10, it, too, will handle Yosemite. The upgrades between the two are somewhat out of phase, apparently, but I think you have to look at both Fusion and Parallels and simply decide which one you like the best. I am trying the free trial version of Fusion now for 30 days and will decide whether to go with Fusion or Parallels. All the existing VMs are convertible from one to the other, so that isn't an issue. I assume that if you buy Fusion 6 now and they upgrade in the near future to Fusion 7 that upgrade will be free or nearly so--I'll have to ask VMWare about that.

19. KenV54

KenV54 Member

Final post on this thread for me.

I did the Parallels 10 upgrade for $50, and a very inexpensive Parallels Access (something Fusion doesn't seem to have). I put it on Yosemite, made a Yosemite VM via the reinstall OS partition on Yosemite, and I'm able to use the Yosemite VM when I'm on the Mavericks partition, which is what I wanted to do in the first place.

20. kpluck

kpluck Junior Member

I might have elected to go that way myself had they properly supported PD 9 and allowed me to run Yosemite beta as a guest a few weeks ago when it became available. Unfortunately for me, they made the business decision to ignore support/updates for their existing customers and concentrate on making a new version to get that cash train moving on the tracks again.

I understand that was a business decision and that the number of current users that will no longer buy their product, such as myself, will be rather small compared to the folks that will happily pay their yearly upgrade fee to keep the program up to date.

On another note, Parallels Access is pointless. There are plenty of remote access products that are free or inexpensive that will work just fine for the functions it provides.